Finding a lightweight distro

Hi, i need some help, my friend needs a new OS for work, he still uses windows xp i think, the reason is his computer is to low powered to run later versions of windows, now the reason im asking you guys instead of trying linux distros is because the pandemic(covid-19) he lives in a shop so i cant go there here are the computers specifications:
1 or 2 GB of ram, i forgot
An intel pentium i dont know the model
And i dont know the others, his computer display is big, he has 2 monitors, and i think xfce would work or mate or lxqt or lxde any recommendations???

@KITT…Debian still has support for 32bit PC’s.

1 Like

Oh but is it lightweight enough to run in pentium or 1 GB of ram?

@KITT…A minimal ISO can be downloaded. Will this PC be dual booted with XP?
You could try Puppy Linux, I am pretty sure it will run.

1 Like

It will be dual-booted

Puppy Linux he can install it, or run it off of Ram off of USB Stick. Here is a read up on it

There is Linux Mint Debian version of Cinnamon 32bit.
1 Like

Go with Lubuntu 20.04 (lxqt) or 18.04 (lxde). Or, PUPPY LINUX! It would perform better!

It’s your choice to choose something. Check itsfoss.com for articles mentioning Linux OSes which still give 32-bit support.

Debian + LXDE was the most lightweight I tried so far - still worked quite good on a AMD Athlon XP2200+ with 512MB RAM.
LXQT is in an early stage, to me it seems being a bit half-baked.

Hmm i tried puppy linux but its a little complicated than other distros, my friend is new to linux so it needs to be newbie friendly i think linux mint xfce will do the job or maybe lubuntu or xubuntu

I’d go with Cinnamon the Debbie 32bit here https://linuxmint.com/release.php?id=37 As 32bit XFCE mint is no longer supported.

Trisquel Mini, a lightweight version for older machines and netbooks. Based on the LXDE desktop environment and a selection of resource-saving applications to bring new life to your hardware…
Hit the ground running as so easy to use out of the box