Finding a lightweight distro

I am used to wild claims by 1st parties releasing a product. I always try to test the product myself, before judging it, if that is possible. If it is not possible, I try to research as much as I can, what I want to know about that product.

There is a possibility, that on their machines in indeed took less RAM, because they had a different version, like for example a development version, that might be slimmer in some way (though, debugging versions of software are usually bigger, not slimmer). Sometimes information on websites that are hosted by a tiny amount of people, who perhaps even only work on the project in their free time, might be very slow to be updated. I’ve seen a lot of websites that were not dead but they were updated so infrequently, it basically had almost always obsolete information on it.

The whole distro comparison discussion situation brought me back to Distrowatch, where I have not been looking for a new distro for a pretty long time, because I did not need to. I found a couple of interesting distributions, one of them being Finnix.

When you browse around that Wiki styled homepage, you eventually come across the Documentation, of which most is apparently already obsolete… This is one example of outdated information on a website, that has a small user base and probably a small team of people responsible for this product.

Yes I know what you are saying as Trisquel are a small team struggling with a poor server in another country, yet the huge difference is that Trisquel make no claims at all except for what their OS is designed to do - it does exactly what it says 100% This I find most refreshing in these days of never ending hype and bullshit. Their simple honesty matches my simple honesty as I always back up what I say. Trisquel’s Privacy statement is not only the simplest to understand but the shortest I have ever seen anywhere. Same goes for FsF and gnulinux who prosecute anyone who infringes their license agreement.
Strange where destiny takes you… :thinking: :crazy_face: :wink:

Ubuntu is owned by 600 million dollar Trisqelion man and patron in chief of KDE - pure coincidental matter that cannot be… stop, Andy stop - remember…Phew that was close…
Wish I could meet with Trisquelion man - I have a simple great invention pertaining to his private jet aircraft - Canonical One - and all other aircraft. It would make his stash of wealth on Trisquelion Island even greater. I always get on well with millionaires for this very reason - greed.
I started out with ubuntu-16 and found it awkward to use - I did not know any better as with all noobs. Roy encouraged me to try and recover my hated old HP G60 - the rest is history… Now that I have wiped ubuntu from the Dell forever I am one happy bunny. :slightly_smiling_face: :rabbit:

1 Like

Hello! You’re of my kind! Even I did the same…

Running? It won’t even boot…

Check this out - :wink:

Enjoy :kissing_heart:
ps Please tell all your friends :mermaid: :ghost: and colleges too :wink:

i recommend linux mint. these days there are too many distros. linux mint stuck out to me as best. for a lightweight version choose xfce. the xfce in linux mint (different distros have have a bit diffent vesions of the same desktop environment, idk y like that.) looks a bit like the almighty cinnamon, probably one of the best desktop environments. xfce does look a bit old, at least not as good as cinnamon. some other you can get are: Lubuntu, Linux Lite, Puppy Linux, Damn Small Linux, Xubuntu, Tiny Core, and a weird but will still work outstandingly well, Raspbian/ Raspberry Pi Os.