Firefox Update on Kubuntu 18.04

yes but Synaptic Pack Man is not working correctly…it won’t launch. Perhaps I just need to start from scratch and reinstall a fresh version of Kubuntu or another version???

What do you recommend?

I also can’t launch updates as I need to enter a password but the password box disappears in 1 second.

troubleshooting can be frustrating to be certain. that is especially true when a vital system function like dpkg and system updates are at the heart of the issue. if you feel like a fresh installation would be a better use of your time, that makes sense and would get you back to a working system fairly quickly.

there are still some things left we can look at if you want to keep trying.

2 Likes

I don’t know about Kubuntu but Mint 18.3 & 19.1 was really quick to install. When just learning Linux, I would do an install about once a week … LOL. Sometimes appling the patched seem to take as long as the install. But my vote, if you can, a clean install is always a good base to start from.

1 Like

This is just my personal opinion, but I think that as you have tried most things, and aren’t able to even do updates now, it might be a good idea at this stage just to do a clean install after doing a back up of your personal files. As much as we hate to do it, sometimes it is the only realistic thing to do. Sorry I can’t be more positive on this than that, but it would clear everything and give you a fresh start, Cheryl

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Re-using /home from a previous installation

I came in late, but I also vote for reinstallation. It will probably end up being the fastest solution. Get a fresh copy of Kubuntu on a flash drive, and try it out. Or maybe try something different, for fun. Mint, MX?

4 Likes