Fonts in Libre Office

Noted…

Deleting them isn’t going to recover much space, they’re generally quite small files…
Pop!_OS 22.04 :

╭─x@titan ~/MPZ  
╰─➤  du -sh /usr/share/fonts                                                                                            130 ↵
124M	/usr/share/font

What I was originally after - was a way not to be drowning in a sea of fonts I’ll never use (mostly in InkScape)…

I might investigate masking them in future - if that’s possible outside of KDE (I’m not going to run KDE just for this feature)…

If not - I’ll keep using my scatter-gun shell script :smiley:

1 Like

Trouble is, you would have to mask them in a font management tool, and , as you say, it may not exist outside KDE.

2 Likes

There’s a thing called “Font Manager” in Pop!_OS, and I assume it’s probably something System76 got from Ubuntu and Gnome…

I disabled (unticked) Agave and Amiga and Comic Sans MS (which is a crime against good taste anyway - but I think it got installed as part of the MS TTF meta package) :

Opened Inkscape and THEY’RE STILL THERE and LISTED!

So it seems “Font Manager” in Ubuntu Gnome is about as useful as mammary glands on a male bovine… Unless I have to reboot (or restart my DE) - so still utterly useless… I shouldn’t have to reboot to enforce such a minor change… My machine’s been up for 33 days now… I see no reason to change that…

4 Likes

Perhaps you have to tick them , and then press minus sign.

I turn it off, every minute it’s not in active use for more than 15 minutes or so - carbon footprint, and stuff.

But I used to keep it running for weeks, not too long time ago.

4 Likes

I just close the lid. The power it draws then is 1.1W (measured).
Booting up my laptop draws between 70…100W - for a short time though, around 50 secs - 1 minute.
Approximately (can’t measure exactly) a boot takes 4000 Ws, so if I switch off my latpop for only 15 minustes, it’s a loss… However, it would be worth to switch it off for couple hours, say for the night… which I did not do so far… maybe I should reconsider switching off unused devices…

3 Likes

Use the CLI

1 Like

Now that looks like WAY too much work… a line for each font I don’t want :

<glob>/usr/share/fonts/noto/Noto*</glob>

I’ll probably just carry on with my scatter gun shell script method, if I can’t find a GUI tool that I can pick and unpick items from…

2 Likes

That does nothing - what “minus” sign anyway? The minus sign at the top doesn’t “relate” to what’s selected in the bottom right pane of the application - it allows you to remove fonts (from a completely “separate” pick list), but not disable / mask them…

OK - I blame MS Teams (yes I use it - for work - native Linux version on Pop!_OS - the last thing that happened before it hung, was some hideous “bot” from my employer sent me a “card” in MS Teams) - my system just hung - so I had to pull the rug out from under it (flick the power switch on the back of the ATX power supply)… After I booted up again went into Font Manager again, and Agave and Amiga and Comic Sans are unticked - but still showing in InkScape…

I built this Pop!_OS system months ago - and I ran that shell script not long after I installed it - so mostly my list of fonts is manage-able - I’d still like something I could clickety-click-click to “mask” fonts instead of removing them - but - I can live / work with my current setup…

Update edit :
Haven’t looked at my Ubuntu 23.04 Thinkpad for a while - just now took a look in InkScape - and there you go riddled and beset, by a VAST plague overload of fonts - why? I will NEVER use about 80% of them! So I’m just running my shell script now called FXXK-off-fonts.bash…
Doing this by editing a text file would take me WEEKS! There’s literally thousands of the little bastards - they’re like termites!

1 Like

In other words it is a lousy gui design. I could not work out what the buttons were for.

Most of them are ex Google. Not a virus, but a bit like a flood ping.

There’s one member of the Dutch Ubuntu forum who mentioned that by removing the fonts-tlwg-* the MythTV Audio center will not work, but I don’t use mediacenters. For dose who use it, you be warned. However: here’s my list of removed fonts. Now I have a small list of fonsts in LibreOffice just I want.

sudo apt-get remove "fonts-kacst*" "fonts-khmeros*" fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-guru-extra "fonts-nanum*" fonts-noto-cjk "fonts-takao*" fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-lao fonts-sil-padauk fonts-sil-abyssinica "fonts-tlwg-*" "fonts-lohit-*" fonts-beng-extra fonts-gargi fonts-gubbi fonts-gujr-extra fonts-kalapi "fonts-samyak*" fonts-navilu fonts-nakula fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sarai "fonts-telu*" "fonts-wqy*" "fonts-smc*" fonts-deva-extra fonts-sahadeva
"fonts-lohit-beng-assamese*"fonts-lohit-beng-bengali*"fonts-lohit-deva"* 
"fonts-lohit"*"fonts-navitu"*"fonts-pagul*"fonts-fansamyak*"fonts-sarai*
"fonts-sil-abyssinica*"fonts-silpadauk*"fonts-smc*"fonts-lelu*"fonts-telu-extra-*"fonts-teluguvijayam*"fonts-thai-tlwg*"fonts-beng*"fonts-beng extra*"fonts-deva*"fonts-deva-extra*"fonts-droid-fallback*"fonts-gargi*"fonts-gubbi*"fonts-gujr*"fonts-gujr-extra*"fonts-kacst-one*"fonts-kalapi*"fonts-khmeros-core*"fonts-lao*"fonts-tklug-sinhala*"fonts-tibtan-machine*
"fonts-tlwg-garuda*"fonts-tlwg-kinari*"fonts-tlwg-kinarittf*"fontstlwglaksaman*"fonts-tlwg-laksaman-ttf*"fontstlwgloma*"fonts-mono*"fonts-mono-ttf*"fonts-tlw-gnorasi*"fonts-tlwg-pursia-ttf*"fonts-tlwg-sawasdee*"fonts-tlwg-sawasdee-ttf*"fonts-tlwg-typewriter*"fonts-tlwgtypewriter-ttf*"fonts-tlwg-typis"fonts-tlwg-typis-ttf"fonts-tlwg-typo
"fonts-tlwg-typo-ttf"fonts-tlwg-unpush"fonts-tlwg-unpush-ttf"fonts-tlwg-warree"fonts-tlwg-warree-ttf"fonts-ysra-rasa"fonts-noto-hinted*"fonts-noto-cjk*"fonts-noto-core*"fonts-noto-mono* "fonts-noto-ui-core*"fonts-noto-extra

Terminal: sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig

Reboot computer.
3 Likes

I didn’t need to (reboot) after running my version of Rik’s script - it actually took about 30-45 minutes to run through completely … I wish apt would batch it somehow when you list multiple packages but :

fonts="fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one fonts-khmeros-core fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-guru fonts-nanum fonts-noto-cjk"
fonts="$fonts fonts-takao-pgothic fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-guru-extra fonts-lao fonts-sil-padauk fonts-sil-abyssinica"
fonts="$fonts fonts-tlwg-* fonts-lohit-* fonts-beng fonts-beng-extra fonts-gargi fonts-gubbi fonts-gujr fonts-gujr-extra"
fonts="$fonts fonts-kalapi fonts-lohit-gujr fonts-samyak-* fonts-noto-unhinted fonts-noto-hinted fonts-navilu fonts-nakula"
fonts="$fonts fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sahadeva fonts-sarai fonts-smc fonts-telu-extra fonts-wqy-microhei"
fonts="$fonts fonts-hosny-amiri fonts-smc-anjalioldlipi fonts-sil-andika fonts-arphic-ukai fonts-arphic-uming"
fonts="$fonts fonts-sipa-arundina fonts-bpg-georgian fonts-khmeros fonts-smc-chilanka fonts-smc-* fonts-noto-ui-extra"
fonts="$fonts fonts-noto-ui-core fonts-noto-extra fonts-noto-core culmus fonts-ipafont fonts-ipafont-*"
fonts="$fonts fonts-farsiweb fonts-hosny-thabit fonts-ukij-uyghur fonts-yrsa-rasa fonts-sil-scheherazade"
fonts="$fonts fonts-unikurdweb fonts-dzongkha fonts-deva-extra"
for font in "${aFonts[@]}"; do
  sudo apt purge -y $font
  sudo apt purge -y fonts-teluguvijayam fonts-urw-base35
done

Makes it run through an apt for each potential package thusly :

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  cups-browsed cups-core-drivers cups-daemon cups-filters-core-drivers cups-ipp-utils cups-server-common evince-commonThe following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  cups-browsed cups-core-drivers cups-daemon cups-filters-core-drivers cups-ipp-utils cups-server-common evince-common
  fonts-droid-fallback fonts-noto-mono fonts-sil-annapurna gimp-data grub-pc-bin hplip-data libamd2 libbabl-0.1-0 libcamd2
  libccolamd2 libcholmod3 libcupsimage2 libgegl-0.4-0 libgegl-common libgimp2.0 libgs-common libhpmud0 libid3tag0
  libijs-0.35 libjbig2dec0 libkpathsea6 liblouisutdml-bin liblouisutdml-data liblouisutdml9 libmetis5 libmng2
  libmypaint-1.5-1 libmypaint-common libsane-hpaio libsynctex2 libumfpack5 printer-driver-postscript-hp python3-reportlab
  python3-reportlab-accel ssl-cert toilet toilet-fonts
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
  fonts-droid-fallback fonts-noto-mono fonts-sil-annapurna gimp-data grub-pc-bin hplip-data libamd2 libbabl-0.1-0 libcamd2
  libccolamd2 libcholmod3 libcupsimage2 libgegl-0.4-0 libgegl-common libgimp2.0 libgs-common libhpmud0 libid3tag0
  libijs-0.35 libjbig2dec0 libkpathsea6 liblouisutdml-bin liblouisutdml-data liblouisutdml9 libmetis5 libmng2
  libmypaint-1.5-1 libmypaint-common libsane-hpaio libsynctex2 libumfpack5 printer-driver-postscript-hp python3-reportlab
  python3-reportlab-accel ssl-cert toilet toilet-fonts
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  fonts-deva-extra*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
After this operation, 3,387 kB disk space will be freed.
(Reading database ... 259045 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing fonts-deva-extra (3.0-6) ...
Processing triggers for fontconfig (2.14.1-3ubuntu3) ...
(Reading database ... 259037 files and directories currently installed.)
Purging configuration files for fonts-deva-extra (3.0-6) ...
Reading package lists... Done

I reckon I would have saved some time and processing if I’d run “apt autoremove” BEFORE…

subsequent edit :

Hmmm - I should / could, just change that script instead of a loop : sudo apt purge $fonts
I’m not even sure how ${aFonts[@]} even works - I just plagiarised that from “Rik”…

1 Like

If you want to remove a font from LibreOffice, you can do so by following these steps:

1. Open LibreOffice:
    Start by opening LibreOffice on your computer.

2. Access the Fonts Menu:
    Click on “Tools” in the menu bar at the top of the LibreOffice window.

3. Select “Options”:
    In the dropdown menu that appears when you click on “Tools,” select “Options.”

4. Navigate to “LibreOffice” Options:
    In the “Options” dialog box, expand the “LibreOffice” section in the left sidebar by clicking on it.

5. Open the “Fonts” Subsection:
    Within the “LibreOffice” section, you will see a “Fonts” subsection. Click on it.

6. Manage Installed Fonts:
    In the “Fonts” section, you can manage the fonts used in LibreOffice. Here, you can add or remove fonts.

• To remove a font: Select the font you want to remove from the list of installed fonts, then click the “Delete” button or the “Remove” option if available.
  7. Confirm Removal:
    LibreOffice will typically ask for confirmation before removing a font. Confirm that you want to delete the selected font.

8. Apply Changes:
    After you’ve removed the fonts you no longer want, click the “OK” or “Apply” button in the Options dialog box to save your changes.

Please note that removing fonts from LibreOffice will not delete them from your computer’s font library. It will only remove them as available options within LibreOffice. If you want to uninstall a font from your computer entirely, you’ll need to do so through your operating system’s font management tools.

Keep in mind that LibreOffice relies on system fonts, so removing certain system fonts may affect the rendering of documents in LibreOffice or other applications that use those fonts. Be cautious when removing fonts to ensure it won’t disrupt your workflow.

4 Likes

I tested Font Manager in Ubuntu 22.04. I also have a whole bunch of Noto fonts for different languages (which is useful for me, as I do work with some Asian fonts in particular).

I tried to disable most of them with the Font Manager, and they disappeared from the Menu fonts list in Libre Office without restarting the OS or the session (but Libre Office needs to be restarded).
Strangely, they are still in the Fonts list in Inkscape, even after restarting the OS. At this point, I do not understand why.

Most fonts that I have added, I added them by double-clicking on a downloaded font file, and they are not linked to a package.

On the command line, I did
sudo apt list | grep fonts-noto
to check packages and I only get 11 noto fonts

So my guess is that one can safely delete unused fonts (or move the fonts files somewhere else) as long as they are not installed through a package manager, and use apt list to check if it is the case or not.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense.
The fonts installed by a package manager will almost certainly have reverse dependencies.
You can use apt-cache rdepends pkgname to find if anything depends on a package

1 Like

Can use: sudo apt autoremove -s “unwanted-fonts-pkg” on command line. Autoremove will show dependencies and -s flag will show what happens if command is executed, without actually executing it. If no necessary packages show up, remove -s flag and sudo apt remove “unwanted-pkgs”.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s a very helpfull answer. Keep it in mind in case a new installatiion.

reek@freek-LIFEBOOK-E754:~$ sudo apt autoremove -s “unwanted-fonts-pkg
[sudo] password for freek:
Package lists are being read… Done
Requirements tree being built… Done
: Cannot find package “unwanted-fonts-pkg
freek@freek-LIFEBOOK-E754:~$

You should be aware that @zdevz used “unwanted-fonts-pkg” as placeholder for the name of an ACTUAL package installed in your system… not “literally” the package name…

That’s never going to work - it’s obvious to me what @zdevz was saying…

Of course that’s not going to work…

You need to know the ACTUAL package name of the font package you want to remove…

e.g. “fonts-takao-pgothic” is the name of a Debian/Ubuntu package that contains fonts…

Maybe if you tried something like apt list *font* **

but you will probably get a huge list returned from that command…
– edit –
** that command doesn’t work - but - read up on the apt and apt-get and dpkg commands to list packages (apt list just lists every package where installed or not)…

2 Likes

I understand now that i have to use the real name of the fonts, thanks for that. Most fonts in LibreOffice I removed/deleted, only 21 fonts are left.
I suppose that the "list font " are system fonts? I like to know wich systemfonts safely can be deleted and with wich command. I don 't need Asian, Thai and other outside Europe fonts and I will never use them. That’s why I want to get rid of them.

1 Like