FsF Free software Foundation NVIDIA official disinformation

Gotta concur - it’s been years since I ran Linux on AMD GPU (probably even when they were still ATI :smiley: ) - they were okay… I guess… I remember I had one setup with “Crossfire” - where the discrete PCIe GPU would share the load with the on-board AMD GPU on the motherboard - worked okay on Windows 7 - but was a POS to get working on Linux - gave up and went NVidia (because I game!). Have to admit I’ve never tried to do NVidia’s version of “crossfire” (i.e. multiple GPU)… I’ve got a spare 2-core AMD motherboard with dual GTX GPU (6800 series - easy to fake being NVidia Quadro Pro GPU!) and SLI cable/bridge - but never tried Linux on this setup…

NVidia “out of the box” on Linux is still shit… I’d guess you’d probably have better “out of the box” with PopOS or whatever and NVidia GPU.

My experience buidling a PC from the ground up (well: with off the shelf parts I’d sourced locally and offshore - I don’t have my own silicon fabrication lab setup at home) - AMD Ryzen 7, MSI X570 chipset mobo, 16 (sometimes 8 - see previous posts) GB RAM, NVidia (Gigabyte branded) GTX1650 “super” and Samsung NVME storage.

First boot of Ubuntu 18.04.5 - wouldn’t even let me login (using Nouveau) to X11 - had to select the Wayland session to even login (took me a while to figure that out - even created a 2nd login!) to the GUI…

Once that part “gel’d” fired up the “Software and Updates” from the Gnome version of “the HUD pull down” (super key) - tabbed over to the “Additional Drivers” tab - picked the 460 series driver - and bang! After reboot I can login to the X11 session (note - there’s one app that stops me going Wayland : the “plank” dock - been using it for 6-7 years - there might be more that don’t like Wayland - that’s the only one I’ve found - and I haven’t figured out how to function without plank).

Then “do-release-upgrade” and in an hour I’m up and cooking with gas on 20.04.2 with 460 series proprietary NVidia drivers for my GPU…

I once (circa 2007) did desktop support for Linux desktops (about 160 desktops) for an “oil and gas” company - all the seismic exploration engineers had KVM switches on their desks, Windows XP on one PC, RHEL 4 amd64 Workstation (dual physical Opterons) on the other - updating the Proprietary Drivers on those was a PITA - it was mostly trained monkey stuff : “visit every desk” (like a well trained monkey), Ctrl+Alt+F2,3,4 to get to a TTY - kill ALL the X11 apps, and the DM (I think it was still “xdm” back in those days) - then navigate to the NFS share with the PROPRIETARY binary blob installer and install it and reboot…

So much easier these days… Ubuntu kills Red Hat everytime… Thanks Mr Shuttleworth! All you Mint (and every other Ubuntu derived distribution) users - should remember - Ubuntu made Debian easy to use for nearly everybody :smiley: (but still left us the shell to do real work in)…

Don’t get me wrong - I like Debian (run it on all my RPi systems) - but I’m iherently lazy, and Ubuntu (latest LTS) has the path of least resistance to productivity for my use case…

2 Likes