Gentoo install ... issues with keys and mounts

stage3-amd64-openrc-20260920T170055Z.tar.xz

That is the smallest one. 256M . no systemd, no DE
and I chose the minimal profiie (no 1)

It is finished the compile … took about 2 hours with -j8 and got up to 13.8Gb of ram … I allowed 16Gb.
Most of the compile time was gcc.
No errors.
So ready to install a binary kernel and grub… tomorrow it is bedtime here.

Are you sure this was not a @world update !!

That is what it is. That is what the manual says to do.

emerge --ask --verbose --update --deep --changed-use @world

That is what I thought, if you had left —verbose out portage may not have pulled in gcc!!

Why do I need that. Is gcc not sufficient.?
llvm and clang and musl are an alternative I thought.
I will put in a binary kernel and get it to boot next.
Other things can wait.

Sometimes xorg will pull in llvm and mesa almost always pulls llvm in!!

But I dont have xorg. No graphics at all. Just a console.
It will be like BSD … kernel + utilities.
That is enough to test dinit

After that I might experiment with xorg alternatives, but not Wayland.

My understanding is that it is only to give more info about the packages and process during emerge. The opposite to –quiet

It boots .
The login ( as root) works

I have not even given it a hostname yet … hence localhost.
No X11 , No DE, no user.

I always compile sudo and adduser while in root and add user to the visudo /etc/sudoers before rebooting into the user account!!

I never use sudo.
I will see how it goes without it.
I need to do backups … time for a full Clonezilla of all disks
Do I need to mount /efi in fstab?
I also want to put another Linux on my fourth partition, so I can boot if I mess up something in Gentoo.
I should also be able to clone the VM , by copying the qcow2 file. That would give me a restart point if I make a mess.

I could not live without sudo with gentoo on real hardware!!

What is wrong with su to root? Especially if you have a WM … make one window root.

Have you heard of FLTK… its a lightweight alternative to gtk to Qt.
So is doesnt replace x11 but it gets rid of those bloated window toolkits.

Nothing when you need root, not all programs wants to be ran as root!!

:partying_face: great! Next:

Dinit - Gentoo Wiki

Virt-manager snapshots are fine. You don’t need Clonezilla. I also copied the cqow2 image located in /var/lib/libvirt/images

So you want … run as daniel, but with some root permissons?
There are other ways to achieve that

  • using /etc/group
  • using polkit

I must try that … i really want a clone … ie another VM that virtmanager sees as a separate VM.
I will read up on virsh

I still need a full clonezilla … its been a while.
I remember seeing my grandfather get to the very last cut , then put down his tools and sharpen the saw. … its a bit like that

/etc/init.d is there also. OpenRC is not running.

Have a look in /sbin
You will see init
Is it an executable or a link ?

  • if it is an executable it is dinit … renamed init
  • if it is a link, it will point to the dinit executable… called dinit (or maybe dinit-init)
    and there may also be an OpenRC executable ( dont know what it would be called) , in which case you could move the link to point at it, and you would be back to booting with OpenRC. (it would work because the init.d dir is still there)

I will check this when I get there… backups running on my main computer.

Take care … init is not the same as openrc-init?
I think init is the sysVinit init , and openrc-init is the alternative init supplied by OpenRC.

The man page says this

To  use openrc-init configure your boot loader to invoke it or symlink it
       to /sbin/init.  Also, you will need to use openrc-shutdown(8),  to  halt,
       reboot or poweroff the system.

This is what is looks like BEFORE you install dinit. … I think when dinit is installed 'init` becomes a link.

I wanted to sort this out before I installed dinit.

Are you using virtmanager.? Do you use internal or external snapshots?
It looks messy … I think I will use virt-clone instead.

virt-clone --original old-vm-name --name new-vm-name --auto-clone

pete@petevm ~ $ ls -l /sbin/init
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 30. 9. 17:52 /sbin/init → dinit
pete@petevm ~ $ ls -l /sbin/open*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 59600 26. 7. 17:42 /sbin/openrc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 22712 26. 7. 17:42 /sbin/openrc-init
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 55952 26. 7. 17:42 /sbin/openrc-run
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 43216 26. 7. 17:42 /sbin/openrc-shutdown
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 976760 20. 9. 17:28 /sbin/openssl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23064 5. 7. 17:30 /sbin/openvt

I use virt-manager with GUI so I don’t open the vm from cli.