Gentoo install ... issues with keys and mounts

Your process seems to be ok except use /mnt/gentoo and /mnt/gentoo/efi, no boot/efi.

Other issue, you mentioned you couldn’t install the linux-firmware earlier. You need to either accept_license= * in make.conf or accept them for that package only (I think package_accept_keywords is the place, I accept all in make.conf).

If I may suggest: start with binaries. You’ll get the system running faster and if you wish you can then disable binaries and build the system again with emerge --emptytree @world. (I am on mobile phone, didn’t check if the emerge emptytree is correctly but you get the point). Get it to boot and then do what you want!

Yes. When emerging Dinit it also removes conflicting packages.

OK, thats different from antiX . They dont actually conflict as installs. Only one can be activated of course.

I did that but missed putting it in my writeup.
I write that log line by line as I do the install. … that is one of the weaknesses of the install process … there is no log. … Maybe I could script it.?

Sorry, I needed to double check. It didn’t remove OpenRC but Sysvinit.

You might be be to still able to use OpenRC commands … it is possible to run OpenRC on its own without sysVinit.
Is /etc/init.d still there?

I can’t check any more. I’m on my way to airport. A holiday so no laptop with me.. I’ll check it on Sunday/Monday

Have a nice break.
My recreation consists of digging the bed for this Summer’s tomato crop.

Did your VM boot?

Only half done .
Had trouble downloading the stage3 file … they were doing an update and changed its name on me.

I made a extra partition. I might put another simple linux in there so I can do a boot failure recovery if needed.

After looking at your build, why are you even using EFI in a VM?

"grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=gentoo" Maybe you should have used something like this for grub-install ?

Good question . The default BIOS boot would do.
I suppose I usually use EFI because it is the modern way
When I do y nedt Gento hard install it will be EFI … so I may as well learn how.

VM’s are great because I can save and turn the machine off , but the lack of copy/paste slows me up. … I must have typed the 150 character wget statement 10 times.

Maybe I could setup host filesystem access in the VM and copy the stage file from the host.

Yes, and with your amount of ram you could just use a one ext4 partition mounted at /mnt/gentoo !! I do believe you have the grub-install wrong, and to fix this you will have to remount everthing and chroot back in!!

You mean
grub-install /dev/sda
Yeah it should be vda
and that is an install to MBR
I need
grub-install --efi-directory=/efi
and efi has to be mounted.

I do believe so!! I have yet to see if you have ran these commands!!

mkdir /etc/portage/repos.conf
cp /usr/share/portage/config/repos.conf /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf
cat /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf ?

Thanks, I will fix my file.
I may as well stay with the efi boot now.
My stage3 fiie is tiny … 256 M . … it only takes half an hour to compile it with -j8

I may need this too

echo ‘GRUB_PLATFORMS=“efi-64”’ >> /etc/portage/make.conf

to force portage to compile in EFI support.

This time I have /dev/vda3 mounted to / in the chroot .
That looks more healthy

It is compiling stage3 at the moment

I will need to also mount /efi before I do grub

It might help!! You do not have to set "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=“amd64” portage will default to this!! I know @ihasama likes binary packages but I find very little gain in using binary packages, and you will get a cleaner build if you just compile from source!!

I had GRUB_PLATFORMS=“efi-64 pc”
So I dont need ‘pc’ in there … thanks
It is taking longer this time … about 90 mins so far … that means it is working … it is up to using 13Gb of ram … I gave it 16Gb … fingers crossed.

What do you mean by a cleaner build?
Is mixing binary and compiled packages untidy?

Not unless you boot mbr and use msdos!! What tar file did you download!!