Gnome Annoyances - Gnome 3.36.8x

Can you tell us why you chose that?
Are the people who build Pop! OS more clever or more dedicated than the poeple who build Ubuntu?

I’m “trying” it, not necessarily adopting it as my daily driver…

Going to test drive it for a while…

They’re just taking what Canonical do, and adding to it… hoping they’ve addressed what I kinda/sorta hate in Ubuntu’s implementation of Gnome 42…

But man - I decided to try something different using dd :

root@titan:/mnt/BARGEARSE/BNZ/LINUXISO/popos# pv |dd if=pop-os_22.04_amd64_intel_11.iso of=/dev/sda bs=4M && sync
716+1 records in0.00 B/s] [<=>                                                                                                                                            ]
716+1 records out
3005153280 bytes (3.0 GB, 2.8 GiB) copied, 29.5597 s, 102 MB/s
0.00 B 0:43:30 [0.00 B/s] [<=>

As you can see - it’s been going for over 40 minutes - it should NOT take that long… So I’m probably doing something wrong… Damn!

You copied an iso file byte for byte with dd to sda
but what does pv do?

I think what you need to do is loop mount the iso file, then boot from it to do the install

No - I’m installing on hardware - not a VM… So I’m writing to a USB thumb drive (/dev/sda).

I guess I could try that (in a VM) but I prefer “the real thing” when testing desktop distros (I install headless or server based distros as VMs all the time, it’s one of the main parts of my job)…

PV is a progress indicator

PV(1)                            User Manuals                            PV(1)

NAME
       pv - monitor the progress of data through a pipe

It’s been going way too long now (1 hour!) - I’m going to can it and start again… Should NEVER take that long… I already cross checked the sha256sum and that’s good…

------ edit -------
Kicked it off again without all the extra guff - as expected the sync will probably take ages, but not an hour :

╭─x@titan ~/BNZ/LINUXISO/popos  
╰─➤  sudo dd if=pop-os_22.04_amd64_intel_11.iso of=/dev/sda bs=4M status=progress
1631584256 bytes (1.6 GB, 1.5 GiB) copied, 3 s, 536 MB/s
716+1 records in
716+1 records out
3005153280 bytes (3.0 GB, 2.8 GiB) copied, 3.4232 s, 878 MB/s
╭─x@titan ~/BNZ/LINUXISO/popos  
╰─➤  sudo sync
1 Like

OK. I tbought you were trying to copy a live iso direct to hdd.

If the sync is slow, it is the actual writing that is a bottleneck.
Sounds like usb2?

No… it was something else…

Took about 10-15 minutes to do the second attempt without the pv and && sync…

i.e. dd itself took a matter of seconds… I manually did sudo sync afterwards, and that took 10-15 minutes…

I’ll remember that in future…

1 Like

Thats about what I get with usb3

Crikey!

Got sick of manually turning my monitors off, so I set powersave and blank screen after 15 minutes - but it barely works… i.e. sometimes they blank, but they don’t stay blank, even if the computer / desktop is idle… I set it to 15 minutes… but at times today it’s been activating ~5 minutes or less!

I disabled it completely (set to NEVER) and IT STILL BLANKS THE SCREENS! :angry: :rage:

So I’m breaking out the cli again, might use that… I’m not particularly bothered having to resort to the CLI - but - this is yet another nail in the coffin for any aspirations of Linux desktop achieving any penetration into the consumer desktop market - and - this doesn’t even bother me either, I really don’t care one way or the other whether Linux desktop market share will grow - essentially it is growing with the sale of SteamDeck - but I suspect only a small cadre of those users will tinker with the Linux O/S… Personally, I’m happy with it currrent share, but level pegging with Mac would be okay I suppose… There’s already more native games for Linux than Mac, but Mac wins in the commercial software department.

So - anyway - I’m using xset commands…

e.g.
xset s off

to disable powersaving… but still can’t figure out why the piece of crap is completely ignoring my setting in Gnome Settings…

Then I can just :
xset s on
to re-enable it…

Well that didn’t go as expected - didn’t work! Piece of crap! My powersaver still came on - at some arbitrary interval (not 15 minutes - and - set to NEVER anyway)…

And to top that off - when it activates screen blanking, it disables HDMI (actually displayport) audio :angry:

And I had to reboot to stop screen blanking randomly…

This strongly reminds me of my experience with Linux GUI. Whenever I thought, I had virtually everything fixed for the day, something like this happened.

I simply cannot fathom how it is possible for Linux GUI to screw up a single timer in the background. This is not an Android phone, where background services get killed all the time…

Needless to say, an operating system that doesn’t even do such simple thing right, is indubitably inherently broken.

In your situation, I would’ve probably already knocked that damn Linux system out of the window or at least format the HDD. It’s frustrating trying to live with Linux GUI and then seeing how it cannot even walk properly, like a little baby. Not to mention having nearly the amount of reliability & implicitness Windows offers.

This is also the thing I really despise, when people online are trying to help you “fix” your Linux and they just say “don’t complain, just turn off a huge & important feature branch in your operating system, and your little feature, that should work either way, will most likely start working”.

If I would turn off every feature, where something didn’t work, when I used Linux GUI, I would’ve needed to turn off everything and there would only be the blinking cursor in the top left remaining. :laughing:

Just Linux things.

“Just reboot, dude”, they say. :laughing:

1 Like

…and a little bit later…

Still running this Gnome 42 instance in Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS… a piece of crap it still is, too… but I persevere…

The latest PIECE of CRAP it’s thrown in my face :

╭─x@titan ~  
╰─➤  sudo apt upgrade 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 steam:i386 : Conflicts: steam-launcher but 1:1.0.0.75 is to be installed
              Conflicts: steam-launcher:i386
 steam-devices : Conflicts: steam-launcher but 1:1.0.0.75 is to be installed
                 Conflicts: steam-launcher:i386
E: Broken packages

This is NOT something I did… it’s just SHITTY Linux doing SHITTY Linux things - and this is the basal Linux distro, i.e. the newbies linux… blah blah blah… Started happening middle or late last week… Note : upgrading in the SHITTY GUI interface works… Why is it broken when I try to do this from the terminal? By and large is the way I update / upgrade my packages about 99.999999% of the time…

And I don’t dare TOUCH any of those, for fear of losing my game library… FFS - if fucking Valve and FUCKING Canonical cannot get this right, what hope is there?

Patching works from the GUI :
But for consistency - I’d kinda rather it was broken there too… PEZZO DI MERDA! Note : there were some 25 updates queued / available (in “sudo apt update”) but it wouldn’t update them with “upgrade” using apt, had to resort to the crummy GUI patching piece of crap…

Slight variation if I try to upgrade using “apt-get” instead of “apt” :

╭─x@titan ~  
╰─➤  sudo apt-get upgrade                                                                                                           100 ↵
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  steam:i386

Why i386?
Is steam only available in 32bit?

I thought apt and apt-get were identical? I always use apt-get.

Apparently not - I seem to remember there were a few differences 5-6-7 years ago when apt was starting to be introduced… Where there’s a shorter name for something, I will nearly always choose the shorter name 'cause I’m lazy…

Yes - there’s still a whole bunch of shit in steam that’s 32 bit… and there’s a whole bunch of other shit which pretends it’s still Ubuntu 12!!!

Note : Steam uses BOTH x86_64 and i386 stuff (but apparently, not necessarily, i686, which is just 32 bit with PAE to address more than 4 GB RAM) - you’d also be surpised, even with Windows games, how many of them still have internal i386 legacy…

1 Like

There is some command in apt or apt-get that does a cleanup of dependencies. Cant remember its name.
Ths GUI probably does it automatically before every update/upgrade.

The nrl grand final was a fizzer

Cheers
Neville

I barely pay any attention to that “code” - the vast bulk of Australia, even areas outside of the metropoles of Brisvegas and Gold Coast, follow Aussie rules… which I’ve stopped following anyway (I think there’s a conspiracy [and my brother who lives in Melbourne pointed it out to me] to apply stricter interpretations of game rules AGAINST Melbourne teams to curry favour with the likes of NSW and suburban Brisbane-ites - yeah - I know Geelong beat Sydney, but Geelong’s not metropolitan Melbourne anyway).

I might prick up my ears for Rugby if my hometown team was doing okay (Newcastle) … but that hasn’t happened for over a decade now…

Yep, best game to play, but lousy television topic
that"code" survives because it is better on TV

How dare they use the word “code” for anything other than a real computer program.

'cause it’s “codified” rules or something???

I left NSW when I was 8, and spent most of my later school years in West Australia, or Victoria - both strong Aussie Rules states…

As for games being called “codes” I think it’s because they’re rules based, and the rules for certain games predate programming, e.g. the rules for chess are older than Ada Lovelace’s never tested algorithms for Babbage’s differential engine…

1 Like

Gnome 42 and 43 on Bunty 22.04 and 22.10…

In Brave - it IGNORES GTK and does its own thing - which is nearly UNUSABLE 'cause there’s NO contrast been the CURRENT tab and the rest of them :

With dark :

it’s nearly impossible to tell which tab is the current one… this is PURE GARBAGE from a usabilty perspective (UX).
Yet another arrow in the death sentence for Linux on the Desktop

Here on Ubuntu 22.10 when I set it “back” to using GTK (it cold shoulders my GLOBAL dark mode preference) :

This stinks… it’s a pile of garbage… This is why I prefer to use MacOS…

Note - NONE of this stinkiness happens in Google Chrome - or - believe it or not Microsoft Edge, on Linux…

Have you seen the barrowload of messages Gnome generates?
No other DTE does that.

One integrated system is always going to beat a collection of independent packages with stuff like DTE consistency. The GNU part of Linux does not have a coordinator, unless you consider the distromaker to be a coordinator. Most distromakers do very little to packages in the way of integration. They just ram them into a package system and make sure they dont clash with dependencies. Now they are even trying to avoid that with Snap, etc.

There isnt anyone who polices whether a package works, either alone or in combo. The users end up doing it.

I’m guessing I should change the title of this thread to

Gnome Annoyances - Gnome 4.x

Finally getting THUMBNAILS in GTK after 30 years!

https://thisweek.gnome.org/posts/2022/12/twig-74/

I guess I’ll have to suck it and see next year and risk using Ubuntu 23.04 ??? Or maybe Fedora 39 ???

DAMN!

My stinking piece of crap Ubuntu 22.04 running Gnome 4x is so FLAKY!

It’s nearly all down to Inkscape 1.2 - which I had to risk using a PPA to get 1.2 - but earlier versions are NO GO! I MUST have all the features of 1.2 (they’re “de rigeur”! - especially multiple page documents!).

Anyway - what happens is I’m navigating a rather large SVG file with lots of large bitmaps - but even so - I have SIXTEEN virtual CPU (8 cores) and 32 GB of RAM. The page is usually either A2 or A1 size, maybe even A0… I’ve got a few vector lines here and there - but mostly, it’s 19th century surveying plans scanned by some govt org (WA State govt) - which I’m lining up with screen shots of Google Maps… Changing opacity of the 19th century data so I can line it up with “modern” stuff from Google Maps…

Any - this happens ALL The F–KING time! Inkscape will suddenly REFUSE to change the tool and it will insist the “handle” I grabbed, to pan around the data, or drag an object, is the ONLY cursor, and even when I ALT+TAB it sill insists doing this behind the active “other” application window. It’s so all-pervasive, I can’t actually use the terminal to do anything!

I have to go to one of my Macs, remote to the Linux machine and pkill inkscape! BUT I SHOULDN’T HAVE TO!

IT’s not like I’m doing bleeding edge stuff… it’s FECKING Ubuntu LTS FFS! Inkscape 1.2 SHOULD be reliable.

And - anyway EVEN AFTER I’VE MURDERED inkscape processes - the problem persists - and the ONLY solution I’ve found is to REBOOT! And guess what? THAT IS ALWAYS THE WRONG ANSWER!

My personal MacBook hasn’t been rebooted since DECEMBER! My work MacBook has been up 14 days (shonky SOE management software shits itself if I switch network profiles too often - 14 days ago was the last time I went to work and had to reboot the piece of crap to get my “HOME” network profile working - note - I attribute this to the GARBAGE SOE / MOE management stuff on it - as my personal MacBook is ROCK SOLID!

Anway - this won’t be the last time I have HUGE SOOOK about the sheer flakiness of ALL THINGS LINUX!

Verdict : just another nail in the coffin - LINUX is at LEAST a DECADE away from being a reliable desktop workhorse (for me anyway).

Here’s my fix for the SYSTEMWIDE glitch that Inkscape introduces regularly (it happened yesterday - and again just now - it’s so regular I could almost set my watch to it) :

╭─x@titan ~
╰─➤  fucking reboot
Connection to titan.local closed by remote host.
Connection to titan.local closed.
╭─datripp@loge.local ~
╰─➤

Note “fucking” is an alias to sudo… and yes, using that HELPS enormously…

I’m SERIOUSLY considering removing Inkscape… Removing and purging the PPA… and installing it from a SNAP or a Flatpak or an AppImage (fucking Canonical still only offer Inkscape 0.9x!).