Good Lightweight Linux Distro for Raspberry Pi Model B?

I have a Raspberry Pi model B that I want to install a really light-weight linux distro on. The only thing I expect to run on there is a open source word processor. I have a desktop running Lubuntu, which I considered, but the latest updates seem to be moving away from the direction I’m headed. Any suggestions would be welcome!

It is even way more lightweight than Raspbian Lite.

3 Likes

Not going to recommend this one as puppy can be harder to use from a cosmetic aspect and it’s not everyone’s taste

http://raspup.eezy.xyz/index.php

It’s just another possibility as it’s small fast and has browser and word processor built in

Not tried dietpi but it looks a better user interface

lot depends on what you want for the pi … great learning experience trying different options

@akito we meet again! :slight_smile: just wanna say DietPi looks really interesting, wonder why I haven’t heard of it till now. I experimented with FreedomBox and it worked OK, until it didn’t; I tried another lightweight Debian variant and that would not work either (this a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with a wired ethernet connection but no keyboard or monitor, so if at installation it doesn’t set up its own ssh for me, it’s as good as over). I have a good feeling about this one.

1 Like

DietPi takes care of this. I set up several DietPi systems with auto-connection to Wi-Fi and automatic SSH accessability.

Thanks for the suggestions! Looking forward to trying some new distros for Pi. @Akito I’ll be sure to checkout Diet, sounds perfect for my use.

1 Like

Long live DietPi! I haven’t even tried it yet and already I’m a fan! Gonna have to buy me a DietPi T-shirt.

I can already assume why, but it’d be nice if you would still elaborate. :wink: