High ram usage in kubuntu

There is high ram usage of kubuntu on my laptop it uses 700mb in idle state i want it ti lower it to 400

2 Likes

Kubuntu comes with the GUI tool ksysguard. It can give you a pretty good idea of the memory consumption of the different processes and help you identify the most greedy.

On the other hand: Do you really consider 700MB to be a problem?

1 Like

It’s 1 gig in my case. I’d be so happy if it uses 700 MB instead of 1 gig :joy:

Out of curiousity: Why?

What would you be able to do on your machine, if you had those extra 300MB left?
What can’t you do now that you could do then?

1 Like

2 things:

I’d open more browser tabs, or use 2 browsers at the same time.

I’d allocate 2 gigs of RAM for my virtual machines instead of 1 gig.

I don’t understand how you can give 1GB more to your virtual machine when you only have 300MB more to spare, than before.

My system contains 3 gigs of RAM. KDE uses 1 GB when idle (800 MB sometimes). If it uses 300 MB instead of 800, I have 500 more megabytes, and I’ll allocate 2 gigs, and my system would survive.

3064 MB (8 MB for graphics) - 300 MB + 2000 MB (VM won’t exactly consume 2048 MB) = 716 MB

So you imagined 500MB less or 300MB less?

You should upgrade your RAM or choose a distro that consumes less RAM. Adding swap space to your hard disk could help. 3GB RAM is not enough if you want to run a VM at the same time. From my experience, 4GB RAM is not enough for Ubuntu GNOME, even if I don’t run a VM. My GNOME laptop was beeping in the long run with 4GB RAM.

1 Like

Hi @Pranav, check out earlyoom.
It will keep the system in an easy to survive state, of course at the cost, that it kills the memory hog process - way much sooner, than the kernel would (try to) do it.
Once I had to hard reboot, just because I accidentally started a VM a bit before another was completely shut down. Since that I use earlyoom, and I could not bring my system onto its knees :smiley: despite I tried to start multiple VMs intentionally - which of course failed - but my host system worked well after that too :nerd_face:
@Mohit_Bora
You may look at min_free_kbytes:
cat /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes
On my system it is set to 8192. If you have a higher value here, you could decrease it, this may help you to have more free RAM to be usable.
Set it with:
sudo echo 8192 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes
If the settings works for you well, and your system is stable, you can make the setting permanent by adding to /etc/sysctl.conf, I beleive this will do it:
echo vm.min_free_kbytes=8192| sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf

I think another option would be to choose a lighter DE instead of KDE.

Yeah man my system has 4gb ram , on xfce it uses <500 ram But I didn’t like the look of xfce , kde is more customisable

I have 4gigs of ram what is the command that i should write ?

I found out what was causing high ram usage :

1. snapd
  2. kde effects
  3. swapp was at 60
  4. themes,Widgets I installed a mixture of themes :woozy_face:

I had to disable a few things listed above and after that my ram usage was around 550mb . :grin:

1 Like

Hey, good luck! Go, begin exploring!

Yeah get rid of Snaps altogether in my opinion and Flatpaks. I have strong Bah Humbug feelings towards both those package managers, all year round. I’d rather use AppImages than clog my system up with Snaps or Flatpaks. AppImages are brilliant because they are not actually installed fully, hence the name AppImage, it’s just the image of the app. I’m looking for a Distro of Linux with just AppImages on it, instead of Snaps and Flatpaks.

1 Like