How to install nearest linux to Unity on sacrificial laptop

Hi, I’m currently using a desktop PC as this is easiest for me but need to learn how to fix it.
I have a redundant laptop which is a small ex uni HP, but I can’t access it ATM which doesn’t matter as I intend to install Linux on it.
I’ve read the how to’s from FOSS, so I need to download 1) an installer to USB & 2) the distro I need to use to a USB. I understand that, but I don’t know if I need to use 2 USB sticks or will one do. Also I’ll be doing this from the PC I use, is there a chance I might damage it while doing this?

Any help will be very much appreciated. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

is the pc running windows or linux?

Thank you, the PC I use is only running Linux, the laptop Windows XP but I have no password, I just need it to practise commands in the Terminal.

2 Likes

down load the Distribution of choice I would recommend Mint or Ubuntu
You will need at least a 2 GB Usb stick and you can use a Cross platform usb writer such as Etcher found here Etcher

It should do nothing to your current PC and you can delete the download once your sure it burned to the usb stick correctly. Good Luck

3 Likes

Thank you very much, this is very helpful, I intend using Ubuntu as that is what I’m familiar with. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

if you want to use the terminal to write the distro to the usb, that is also an option.

Thank you, but I think that I’d best wait until I’ve learned how to do that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i can help with that if you are interested in learning the commands.

1 Like

Thank you for that, but I would prefer to attempt commands on the laptop when I’ve installed Linux, the reason is that the PC is a bit shaky, so I don’t want to stir up any trouble as I’ve not backed up yet. Deja dup doesn’t work, when I attempted to fix it some time ago it was obvious that there were broken commands or something in the PC. I’ve seen a FOSS tutorial re backing up, so when I have time, I’ll do that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I must also add that my fingers are not too good, so typing in commands will be difficult, but if I can mostly get away with copy & paste that is best for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

quite understood :slight_smile: timeshift is a fairly user friendly backup. the page below describes how to use it in case it sounds like something you might want to try.

2 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile: Yes it was timeshift that I was going to use, I saw & read about that in the FOSS stuff online. Not quite sure exactly how it works yet. Just read it quickly, so I can copy-paste the lot into terminal, place icon into toolbar, then back up as much as I want to, great stuff. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

To help with Timeshift - after the first set up, it does it automatically for you on the schedule you’ve set for it. It is very easy to use given your experience. Can’t really help with the unity stuff as I use Mint, but @01101111 replies are helping you as far as I can see.

2 Likes

I’ve alo printed off Cheat sheets, apt get & apt commands + quite a few useful looking things such as installing, uninstalling etc.

2 Likes

Sorry, we both wrote at the same time, thanks for that info, I’d quite like it to do it weekly, so it’s good to know that I an set it to automatically do so. Is it possible to check that it’s doing it’s job?

Yes when you open it - it will show you how many it has done. You can also safely delete any to save disk space - that is the last one -before the one - not the very latest. I keep them for a while in case anything goes wrong and I need to restore to a much earlier time.

3 Likes

i think it is helpful to understand that the default settings for timeshift are to help restore system files only. if you want it to save personal files, you will need to change some settings :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aha!! Thank you! I need to check that out, although I’m quite paranoid since ATM I can’t back up, I’ve kept all personal files on desktop, then periodically copy to external hard drive. I’ll attempt to install timeshift tomorrow, I’ll let you know how I get on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i keep lots of my personal stuff on an external drive as well. good luck :slight_smile:

It saves everything, but you also need to do a back up as well. All Timeshift really is, is a system image, that is it saves everything at that moment in time of it doing so. I have used it to restore from a failed upgrade and know this.