"I have nothing to hide"

When it comes to ‘intellectual property’ USA is great at stealing other peoples stuff. Jim Fueling managed to get a patent on a W-3 engine using Harley Davidson parts. The ‘crankshaft’ patent is pretty much what Bleriot used to fly across English channel in 1909 so how does that work then?

1 Like

Patent: USD449620S1
The ornamental design for a three cylinder engine, as shown and described. - two pictures with three views each. Not sure what he has patented that is unique if anything.
Guess just the same in principle as that old wood, canvas and steel Anzani powered Aeroplane – the oldest flying plane in the world as seen flying with my own eyes at the Shuttleworth Collection at Biggleswade UK whilst sipping champaign on a still summer evening.

The Feuling W3 is a 2.5 L (153 cu in) motorcycle engine that was built by an aftermarket parts company in the United States in the early 2000s. Like radial aircraft engines it has a master connecting rod and two slave rods connected to the pistons. So what is new?

As with my CAS Camber Assisted Steering game changing invention the US patent office will not communicate with you or MCN who published review of so called patent by HD.
Plenty to hide there! G……m Limeys.

My father explained to me when I was about 11 or 12.
British invent something, Germans make it work properly, America markets the hell out of it as ‘their’ invention

1 Like

I believe Bush Jr and Reagan said on record they admired the control China had over it’s population?

Okay so they nicked the jet engine and the rocket motor etc from the Brits - How come they lost? Twice! :roll_eyes: After making them work properly :joy: Guess it was Baldrick’s cunning plan :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
And the Americans came in second place - nice one -
Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin a Soviet Air Forces pilot and cosmonaut who became the first human to journey into outer space, achieving a major milestone in the Space Race; his capsule, Vostok 1, completed one orbit of Earth on 12 April 1961. Gagarin became an international celebrity and was awarded many medals and titles, including Hero of the Soviet Union, his nation’s highest honour.

It’s much easier to refine something already invented than to come up with an original idea. Guess it comes down to innovation and original thinking instead of following along. LOL

First, security and privacy are not the same. These concepts often overlap, and that’s why most people mixed up between the two. But the truth is, they are not the same.

Google Chrome is the most secure browser, because of constant updates from Google. But, in terms of privacy Chrome is very bad. It is not private because when you use Chrome, you are sending your data to Google.

I try to balance between the two most of the time, but if I have to choose between the two, I would go for security.

I believe security comes from the user. You can check this list to improve your security level: https://github.com/Lissy93/personal-security-checklist

I avoid using a mobile device for sensitive things like banks, online shopping, or even Google password manager. If the mobile device is stolen, the thief can view my passwords and other sensitive information. I avoid using a mobile device to browse most of the time. A mobile device has lots of other security and privacy issues - malware, lack of antivirus, lack of security patches, and more. You can read here: https://www.techradar.com/news/8-reasons-why-smartphones-are-privacy-nightmare

I use password managers like KeepassXC and Bitwarden on Linux. KeepassXC for banks, Bitwarden for less important logins like forums.

If I want to install a browser extension, I will look for its source code on the extension download page. If that extension has a link to its Github project, then I will download and install it. Otherwise, I don’t install. I want to avoid spyware because your browser extension can also be spyware.

While I take care of my online privacy, I am not at the paranoid level. On some forums, I’d read some people use VPN or TOR all the time, that I consider them as paranoid.

But, I rarely use both. Personally, I don’t trust both. I am fine with my local ISP and its privacy policy. Plus, most websites these days are encrypted (HTTPS), so my browsing data and information are secured.

Some people argue that TOR is not safe. You can read that here: https://restoreprivacy.com/tor/
And, some people argue that VPN is not safe. You can read that here: https://gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29
Just pick your side.

I am fine with companies collecting some of my data. As for email, I use Yandex Mail and Yandex Disk and I am fine if the Russian gets some (not all) of my data.

If I use my real name as forum username for all forums, my identity online can easily be traced. For example, people can Google my forum username and then find all my profiles. That’s why, I use unique usernames for all forums. Just use a password manager to remember those.

I avoid Gmail and most Google products because I believe Google already gather too much of my data. Even if I avoid all Google products, Google can still collect some information about me. For example, if the website that I’m visiting has Google Adsense or Analytics installed, Google will be able to track and log those. That’s why I would install Adblock to block Google trackers. The only Google product that I keep using is Youtube.

You can check out this list if you are looking for alternatives to all Google products. https://restoreprivacy.com/google-alternatives/

This one if you are looking for list of privacy tools:
https://restoreprivacy.com/privacy-tools/

4 Likes

When it comes to privacy I like to know that I’m not being spied on, or sold off as another ad campaign, or that is what they want us to believe? I work in care as a night shift worker for a local care agency. Recently well last year they bought all the care places they run, their Staff leaders a Mac Tablet thingy madgeiggot (Not the right way of spelling, but pronunciation is right anyway.) Nothing has been put in place, until a couple or three weeks ago, when they said download this App on your phones to get your rotas, payslips, login or logon to shifts, etc, etc. It only works if you have the GPS is on.

So that basically means we’re being spied on, can probably pick up conversations too, as does Google, Siri on Mac and Alexa on Amazon. Already have Google on my phone and now they’ve slightly changed their third party tracking to something that is still tracking, but apparently not so intrusive, it’s still the same and in their words different???

I use Firefox and Duck Duck Go on my phone, but with Google at the helm, it seems a waste of time. I would like to use Android without Google on my phone and use the open source apps. I have F-Droid apps blocking all the Google Crap, if I went and uninstalled Google altogether, then that’s it for my phone, since Google bought up Android for phones. I’m digressing here, let’s get back to the point of this ere topic. No matter what don’t use this app that’s mentioned above.

People are clueless and have their phones strapped to them night and day, never had a real conversation in their lives face to face, always hidden away behind a phone screen.
Before the pandemic, I used to accidentally on purpose bump into people to see if they’re still in the land of the living? When I said sorry mate did not mean to, they just looked at me as if I had sixteen heads.

Take me back to the eighties where no one knew where anyone was and we used to leave messages on the table or magnets on the fridge, to tell our parents where we are and what time we’d be back. Life was so much easier then, plus you never were disturbed when you went to the cinema with an Atlantic ocean of Mobile Media Lights, whilst trying to watch a film, even though seconds before a sign came up on screen asking Please Turn Off All Mobile Media Devices.

I’ve witnessed people sweat when they never had a reply from their so called friends on Facebooked. She not only sweated, but had a stammer in her hands with enough power to make a ton of cake mixture. If that is what this world has come to, people worried about their friends not replying, then sorry but get a life.

No matter what we do, we will be spied on and you can thank Terrorists, cyberbullies and other Internet crime for that. Who knows what crap is inside these apps anyway? For as long as people keep using them and keep saying I have nothing to hide and I have said that in the past too, but for organisations to listen in or keep an eye on everything you do without your consent, but that takes me to my next point.

No one reads the agreement when they install stuff from Google Play or that giant EULA when they install Windows 10 on their PC, they take it upon chance that everything will be Okay. Then they get harassed by adverts on their phones, of a product they were looking at earlier on Amazon. Go on buy me it says I don’t care how much money you have in your bank account just click the laminated shiny titled buy now button.

I can live without my phone, in fact I had my arm broken off by one of my work colleagues to get one, to go onto WhatsApp. Once I bought one she happily returned my arm and attached it back on. Luckily she kept it in ice for a week and kept an eye on the temperature. I find that phones are rude and people are rude with them in their hands looking at a screen whilst you’re trying to have a conversation with them. I walk away whenever that happens and say speak to you later as it wasn’t that important, whilst I’m trying to give handover to you all. My agency said no phones whilst working, but with this new App they are now saying you can use your phones. Hello Welcome to the show, It’s make your mind up time.

1 Like

Guess I agree with you.
I managed to avoid having a mobile phone for years until my wife ‘forced’ me to get one March 2020.
The previous mobile I had was in 1995 as it was a work phone.
Being ‘on call’ 24-7 sucked big time.
Google collects way too much information on people but majority are too ‘dumb’ to know or care and in USA, big business always wins

2 Likes

“I have nothing to hide” is one of the weirdest social constructs to proof to peers that they’re a good person. I usually reply with “I just find it creepy that companies and gov agencies are recording everything.” This usually doesn’t do the trick, CCTV everywhere is not considered to be invasive as well. What works as an eye opener to start recording / filming the conversation about privacy with friends just to proof a point how we all became numb to surveillance, and that it is indeed creepy from many perspectives.

1 Like

3 Likes

I had an argument once with my ex, years and many, many moons ago.
She said she done nothing, said nothing. My argument was that to do nothing, you have to be doing something, as to do nothing, implies you’re doing something. To do is doing or in the process of doing, done means it is over, job done.
She slapped me so hard and called me names I cannot repeat. Even censoring the words with dots, would not do. I can still feel the sting from the slap to this day. Somehow her right hand grew as she slapped me? Okay I was being a smart ass. Regret what I said? Answer No with a capital N. :grin:

2 Likes