"I have nothing to hide"

So many times I discovered a very ignorant type of person, that responded to my interest in privacy and/or security with
"I have nothing to hide, why should I care if I am under surveillance? "
(Sadly, one of them was even a family member…)
I hereby request of all those people to install these apps mentioned in this article on their phones:

I mean, why would you care? You have nothing to hide anyway, don’t you?

7 Likes

“Arguing that you don’t care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don’t care about free speech because you have nothing to say.”

― Edward Snowden

11 Likes

This is the same idea as behind the thought: “Evil will not happen to me, it always happens with other people”. That is why there are so many issues with people’s data abuse.

4 Likes

Yep, same with me.

Every time I suggest or share an article for privacy protection - friends/relatives say - I have nothing to hide anyway so I don’t have to do these (or I have no reason to use these services).

They will never change - until they get into trouble.

4 Likes

Lately I’ve been blogging about various encryption software: http://blog.irwinelectronics.com. I can see both sides of the coin. The government requires the ability to track terrorists to keep our country safe, yet at the same time we shouldn’t have to give up the civil liberties upon which our country was founded. Saying I have nothing to hide is a slippery slope. You’re giving up your rights a little at a time, like slowly cooking a frog. Where does it end? As it is China payed a large portion of our debt. Some would say they bought us and we are now the United States of China. What’s next, a Communist Government? Don’t give up your civil liberties so easily, or we could be headed that direction. As much as I’d like to say it’ll never happen, isn’t that the same as saying it’ll never happen to me?
A few more facts about China, of course they are the world leader in manufacturing. They have the best, World Class, shopping of any nation. While not the most powerful, they do have the largest military operation in the world.

3 Likes

Tell them to download those apps. If they refuse, curiously ask for the reason. :laughing:

3 Likes

Yes, I think in the end, this, and all the crime or internet crime, will gradually close down the internet, to the point of inoperable for most people.

The worry to me is, there are many governments in the western world that look on their control (the Chinese dictatorship) of the population with envy. what ever word goes in front of dictatorship, is still a dictatorship, Religion is not a democary, Corporations are not a democary, We are all moving into an authoritarian world, using any excuse at all to take away freedoms. Since 1971 we have had about 7 people killed from terrorist, yet our government seems to have any amount of laws to control terrorism On the other hand, one woman a week is killed from domestic violence, and no money for that. And death from car accidents, all the time, not a worry to any government.

1 Like

Hi.
In Germany our government tries to establish more and more surveilance laws (and techniques) with the all-trumping argument of “preventing terrorism”. But we all know, that, if once established, those laws and techniques will be soon used and widend up to other “nice” uses, that come in handy.
Actual example is the hidden installation of “Staats-Trojaner”, a spying trojan, to surveil an individual computer. Once justificated with “terrorism and major crimes”, they now want to use it for burglary too…
And then there is the scanning of licence plates on the Autobahn. Once wanted for the “Maut” (toll), now they want it to use for nearly everything…
As a member of the Pirate party I had and have lots and lots of discussions with people that state this silly argument “I don’t have to hide something”.
The only answer I give by now is “Sure you have. Your privacy”…

Not to mention the ever growing right-wing party “AfD”.
Imagin they came to power. And all this data and surveillance technique would be on their hands…
For some of them (and unfortunately for some other politicians in germany also) China is their wet dream…

4 Likes

For those who say they have nothing to hide, tell them to walk around naked on the street.
(on second thought don’t say anything or they’ll probably do it) :joy:

I’m not a security freak but I do like my privacy.
We all know that large software houses/multinationals have their income from advertising, but, it does bother me a bit browsing around the Internet and get advertisements of my previous searches.
… and that’s the most harmless way of being spied upon.

5 Likes

The easiest way around that one is to use Private Browsing. Modify your shortcut by adding -incognito to the end for Chromium/Chrome based browsers, or -private for Firefox or Webkit based browsers. I would also install the AdBlock Plus extension and be sure to allow that extension in Private Browsing mode.

2 Likes

In one State here in Australia, New South Wales, the government has installed 24 hour surveillance cameras on lots of high ways and streets, to monitor who uses mobile phone while driving, only a matter of time before it spreads to other states. These days, in most of our (democratic) countries, they seem to put in surveillance cameras and any excuse they can use to do it, all in the name of keeping us safe, lol. Maybe we should go without clothes to protest lol.

1 Like

You’re right. Once installed, it will be used for all other purposes, including surveilance of everyone.

(Translates to: Civil rights - A nice tradition)

1 Like

Well, I think that’s an old dichotomy: security vs privacy. We’ll never ballance them! They’re on the opposite plates of the scale.
To have good security we’ll have to drop off the privacy and vice versa.
“Big brother is watching you”…

1 Like

Saying that is very ambiguous, as in most cases security goes hand in hand with privacy. For example, keeping passwords private and unknown makes your accounts automatically more secure. The issue is that many politicians try to sell mass surveillance and similar things as “security”. If pretty much every teenager script kiddie can access CCTV footage of your whole life, it doesn’t make your life more secure. It makes it actually less secure.

Just yesterday, I saw politicians demanding in my country that passwords should be now stored in clear text instead of encrypted, to make it possible to identify the owners of accounts at any time. Does a measure like this make my life more secure or less secure?

3 Likes

Sorry for being harsh, but I think politicians like this are the most dangerous animals regardless of which country they come from.

4 Likes

Check out lyrics to “I’m the Slime” a 1973 single by Frank Zappa and The Mothers from the album Over-Nite Sensation or better still go to YouTube “Frank Zappa … I’m the Slime”
Just replace TV with computer and radio with social media. Yup - way ahead of his time - or nothing changes!

1 Like

Has anyone noticed the link on https://duckduckgo.com/about that sends you to CNN Business regarding personal data - New Law in California which came into effect yesterday 1st of Jan?

1 Like

Thank you very much for your message, Andy2!!!

1 Like

Try using Epiphany and Midori with DuckDuckGo search engine and get zero adds :wink:

2 Likes