Impending outlook changes

Hi all, :wave:

a few days ago I received an e-mail from the outlook people informing me of the following:

The protection and security of your data is Microsoft’s top priority. To keep your account protected, Microsoft will no longer support mail and calendar apps that only ask for your Microsoft account username and password when you sign in. To ensure greater security, you must use a mail and calendar app that supports Microsoft Modern Authentication. If you do nothing, your third-party email apps will no longer have access to your Outlook.com, Hotmail, or Live.com email address starting September 16, 2024.
[…]
If you are receiving this email, you are currently using a Mail or Calendar app with a less secure authentication method to log in to your Outlook.com email account.
You must update your third-party mail and calendar app to a version that supports modern authentication.

No idea what they´ve been smoking at Micro$oft but they seem determined to make life more complicated for the average user. :angry:

I encountered a similar thing quite a while back with my yahoo account. They changed authentication to OAuth2 but I managed to get it running in thunderbird and in sylpheed.

But is it the same here :question: No idea.

I believe I´ve read somewhere that outlook´s new authentication method is called “Modern Auth” and that it´ll be based on OAuth2.
But what does “based on” mean?
Will thunderbird support it?

On Microsoft’s new Outlook security changes impact third-party apps and Gmail integration - The Verge
I found the following comment:

Microsoft is planning to contact affected Outlook users by the end of June to warn them that they’re using an email app that won’t be supported soon. It may
be as simple as changing an app’s settings to authenticate using OAuth2 instead of a regular password option or just having to remove the current account and
adding it again.

So some issues may be taken care of:

• will thunderbird support the new method :question:
  • what about sylpheed :question:

Is anyone of you affected by this as well and do you have some more infos or ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance and many greetings.

Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I got something similar a few days back, although i have a Microsoft email account through hotmail I only use it as a filter so it does not really effect my, i go online to the microsoft site to read my mail and treat it about once a month.

Just done a new install of windows (hate that work idea, normally just say NO) and windows 11 latest version comes with a new version of outlook mail client which uses this method. As it was for a gmail user I threw away the icon and uninstalled it, no use or need.

This does not answer your question its just background comments. Sorry.

1 Like

@Rosika
I just made sure my Thunderbird App was set to OAuth2, have not had any issues, unless
there are other changes in September!!!

Just set the Authentication method to OAuth2

1 Like

Why would thunderbird need to be reconfigured.?
Do you use outlook.com or hotmail?
I use an independent mail provider from my ISP, I dont think I need to do anything.

It look like Daniel knows how to fix it, if you need to.

2 Likes

There really is no more hotmail although one may be able to log into outlook wih hotmail credentials, quit using hotmail a long time ago!!!

3 Likes

Hi @all, :wave:

thanks a lot for your replies. :heart:

@callpaul.eu :

That´s perfectly alright, Paul.

In the beginning I wasn´t even sure the e-mail I received actually came from the Micro$oft people. I was afraid some mischief was afoot.
The sender was outlook@communication.microsoft.com.

But since you also received a similar e-mail I might rest a bit more assured. :wink:

@Daniel_Phillips :

Thank you very much for your help, Daniel.

Your screenshot helps a lot.

So it seems the OAuth2 would work then. Great. :+1:

Taking a look at sylpheed however I don´t get that setting:

Does that mean outlook won´t work with sylpheed then :question:

@nevj :

It´s outlook.com, Neville.

It seems it wouldn´t work with my outlook e-mail account anymore, once the regulations apply. :slightly_frowning_face:

Many greetings to all.

Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am so glad you asked is it hotmail or outlook …

When people talk about outlook what do they mean?
The address
Joe@outlook.com
Or
Outlook on your desktop for mail for which there are 2 versions.
Plus microsoft mail
And office out look or office 365 outlook

I am never quite clear when talking to someone.

Thunderbird easy its a client mail
Gmail its an address and then to access you use the google site, no its installed on my android phone or apple phone, smart watch.

I use orange mail but again 3 ways of getting to it.

1 Like

With W11 I have access to my outlook email, but I never use it, I always login to outlook online!!
However, I do use Thunderbird for my desktop email client, which has my outlook account and my gmail account, to retrieve my emails. Why? Because I save a lot of my email, Thunderbird just makes it easier.
With gmail, you just setup the Thunderbird account, login to gmail and click the “allow”
With outlook, one has to use the “OAuth2” Thunderbird setting, for access to the outlook server.
Not sure as to why, but I feel sure it is tied to MS office, and wanting users to use MS office.

2 Likes

I access gmail from Thunderbird. That works well. The android gmail mailer is awkward to use.

Yes , one should distinguish the mail service from the name of the mailer app.

2 Likes

Hi Neville, :wave:

it´s pretty late (or rather: early in the morning). :wink:

Bedtime is rapidly approaching for me as well.
Just want to let know:

Seems sylpheed won´t be capable of dealing with OAuth2.
I´ve been doing quite a lot of research on this topic and in all probability I´ll have to install mutt or neomutt, for accessing my outlook account using OAuth2.

Here I found a how-to called “Mutt with OAuth2 configuration”.

Authorizaton result ( mutt_oauth2.py) seems to be a necessary part of it.

Oh dear, more work to be done. :frowning_face:

Many greetings and good night from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sleep well, the problem will be resolved after a good night

2 Likes

Hi Paul, :wave:

Thanks for the kind wishes. :heart:

Even if I could use thunderbird for accessing my outlook e-mail account in the future I still need a second e-mail client which is resource-friendly.

sylpheed fits the bill quite nicely. I noticed running sylpheed (with 4 e-mail accounts) needs less RAM than (opening) another tab in firefox. :wink:

But it won´t handle OAuth2. Such a shame.

Therefore I was considering a terminal-based e-mail client like mutt or neomutt.
The only condition it has to fulfill is to be OAuth2-compliant.

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Not used any of these so no comments on any of them.

The interface looks similar to the last time i used outlook mail on a desktop, but that is many moons ago.

Orange mail just does not have all these buttons and options. You just wrte and read mail, no bold, underline. Only recient started spell check so very basic. Only links to orange system nothing else. But as i have everything else on redirect to one box no issue.

1 Like

@callpaul.eu :

Hi Paul, :wave:

thanks for your comment.

That´s alright.

If I can configure e.g. neomutt to use OAuth2 with outlook I´ll post my steps here.

I´m still a bit angry about it, I have to admit.
Switching to neomutt would imply having to transfer my other 3 e-mail accounts as well.
After all I don´t want to be forced to run 2 different e-mail clients at the same time. :frowning_face:

Cheers from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@nevj and @all:

In my post #10 I was referring to the site Personal Homepage of Michele Marcionelli - Head of IT at D-MATH (“Mutt with OAuth2 configuration”).

Taking a closer look at it I realized one step of the procedure is:

“Generate a key pair” with the help of the command gpg --gen-key.

This proved to be a stumbling block on my system:

As you can see I typed gpg --gen-key (the blue part of it) but then the white text was thrown at me by my system. :thinking:

I aborted with CTRL+C.

Do you have any ideas what´s amiss and what to do about it :question:

Thanks and many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It says the filesystem permissions on /home/rosika/.gnupg are unsafe.
You probably have world read set … ie 755
do chmod 750 .gnupg
it should be happy with that

I find gpg keys a pain. Go out of my way to avoid them.

2 Likes

@nevj :

Thank you very much, Neville.

I see.

755: rwxr-xr-x (user can read, write, execute; group and others can read, execute)

I may need to do that, if I´ll follow the instructions.

But:

… maybe it´s not worth it after all.
In this case I need to find another way of getting OAuth2 to work.

Thanks again and many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Daniel_Phillips :

Hi Daniel, :wave:

I´ve been trying to accomplish what you recommended but my attempts kept failing. :frowning_face:

Simply setting the authentication method to OAuth2 doesn´t seem to cut it with me.
After performing this step thunderbird cannot tetch the outlook e-mail anymore.

I´m wondering why it works with you.
Perhaps I need to do more than just that… :thinking: .

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Cheers from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Rosika
Probably because you are using Linux and I am using Thunderbird on W11!!!

1 Like

That should not make any difference.

2 Likes