Install MINT with WIN10 in dual boot with UEFI

i realize you solved this already and got your system working like you wanted, but i was reading through your solution after you posted a link in the efivars thread and thought i would share a link as well.

a couple of weeks ago someone was having an issue installing mint to an external drive. since i didn’t really understand your solution at the time, i didn’t see the link between the two. i tried a quick mint install to a usb and sure enough, the installer ignored my direction and made a mess of grub on my internal drive.

after a bit of discussion, someone posted a helpful link that showed there is indeed a bug in the ubuntu/mint installer dealing with uefi and external bootloader installs specifically.

1 Like

Hi @01101111,
Thanks for posting the link on this topic.
The solution I found to solve my problem is slightly different from the link solution, but both can help other forum members because they are related to UEFI mode installation issues.

1 Like

Hey PJ sorry for being so late with reply but it looks like all your Mints had the back door to which you refer as they were just tweaked versions of ubuntu. :cold_face:

Hi Andy, it was in a couple of magazines that Ubuntu had a ‘phone home’ feature which was speculated as a backdoor for GCHQ and NSA.
As a British subject living in USA I’m automatically monitored by NSA or someone. Used to get information I was being tracked from Norfolk Virginia in early 2000’s. They got a bit smarter and now track undetected unless you have some more sophisticated software which may be illegal to use by a foreign national ?

1 Like

Yes PJ , quite right. You could try Tails+Tor on a USB stick which runs live in RAM. When in use in RAM it bounces you around the planet and hides your identity and when you are finished and exit it leaves no trace that you were ever on that computer. It is of course so portable - just take the stick with you and use on any computer.
Available for windows or linux:-

Hi Andy, Hope Christmas and New Year went ‘well’ (or as well as possible)
I’m not doing anything ‘secretive’ enough to use Tor plus it automatically puts you on a ‘watch list’ due to the incredibly paranoid government over here.
I guess the real reason to be so paranoid is your expecting people to be doing exactly the same things as ‘you’ are doing to your citizens?
Pretty obvious this isn’t really a ‘free’ society but is getting closer to big business running people’s lives with Google monitoring over 80% of internet traffic.
Been getting ‘nasty’ messages from Yahoo about my ad-blocker on Firefox plus crap from Google wanting cell number ‘for security purposes’ Yeah, more spam calls when they get the number

3 Likes

Hi PJ, Yes all good thanks though locked down and it’s snowing. Trust you and yours are well over there?
GM-Opel-Vauxhall have been trying to get their new all electric car, the Corsa-E to me to play with for a couple of days. It has been cancelled twice now at the eleventh hour due to Covid-19 restrictions – drat…! Still something interesting to look forward to!
How strange I was just checking on Julian A…nge using my other computer booting Tails+Tor and got something weird…… OMG; goolag and YT don’t like me, Julian, John Pilger or FOSS Free Open Source Speech. Julian to be extracted from Bellmarsh and passed over to the US in a couple of days.

ScreenGrab-02

Check top right of pic - yes 100 from Blocker dealt with - Yikes

Drifting way off topic; have been trying to get PM together but have been so busy here on this forum. Take extra care to Stay Safe