Installation of arch linux on virtual box giving me errors

Hi,
I am trying to install arch linux on my virtual box using the guided script but it’s showing me errors right off the bat.
instead of showing me the terminal screen, it’s showing me this…

please help, as I intend to install it for my hardware after installing on virtual box. if it would give me error then, I’ll be really f***ed.

oh goody - my favourite diagnostic ouput - a “Prt-Sc” bitmap… (read: sarcasm)

Not a solution for you. I saw this same error when I installed Manjaro (Arch based) as a second (dual boot) OS for testing. I ended up restoring both the EFI and my other OS partitions. Apparently, gurb for Manjaro was not compatible with Linux Mint.
When I installed Manjaro by itself onto a HDD, it booted fine.

As always, be sure you have a backup of system and your data.

Hi @blahdash758 ,
That ‘kernel panic’ message, in a normal hd install, is often caused by not being able to find the root filesystem.
That seems unlikely in Virtualbox, because I dont think it would proceed if you neglected to define a virtual filesystem?
Virtualbox can be very finickey… Have another try and carefully check all the virtualbox settings .
Regards
Neville

so i can never arch on my system?

Hello Neville,
What kind of settings should I be looking at?

please, sir… help me.
I really wanna get rid of my windows and want to install Arch Linux because I can customize it to my heart’s content.

Hi @blahdash758 ,
when you first setup a new VM in virtualbox, you set the size of its virtual filesystem, and a few other things.
Its only a guess, but did you make the filesystem large enough?

Arch will not interact with any other OS in virtuslbox… every VM is separate.

The only other possibility is there was some mistake made in the Arch install. It is easy to make a mistake setting up partitions.

Did Arch run as a live distro, before you started the install?

Regards
Neville
Neville

HI @blahdash758 ,
I don’t have any experience working with virtualbox. I would try to follow @nevj advice.
Basic on my personal experience;

1 - Make sure you have a complete backup of your system and data.
2 - Know how to restore your system if necessary.
3 - If you have a spare disk, install it in your PC and then install Arch on it as a test run.

Good Luck

1 Like

@blahdash758
Arch Linux can be installed in VirtualBox, but probably not with the guided script. I installed Arch in VB, using the command line, awhile back.

2 Likes

Start off slow, and go with xfce Manjaro, maybe? That’s what I’ve been doing for the last week :wink:

I still can’t see apps I have installed show up on menus: right now, I just have to go through the whole file system and discover where they are… :rofl:

The AUR repos are amazing: I searched for Peer Guardian Linux, and not only was it there, I dbl-clicked on it and it actually built it while I watched!
The pamac gui version config has a tick box that includes the AUR repos in your searches…

1 Like

To answer your question, of course, you’ll be able to run Arch on your computer. Linux is the most versatile operating system and within Linux, Arch is a particularly versatile distro. You have been given some advice with which I agree and some with which I as a Linux user from before Slackware and Debian were released, do not. First, I agree that you should ditch the script, and for a couple of reasons. I’ve never seen an Arch install script that wasn’t more trouble than it was worth and didn’t take longer to use than installing the traditional way. From a blank hard drive to fully functional KDE desktop, installing from the command line, takes me under half an hour. I’ve never managed to complete a scripted installation in less than twice that, and then the configurations I had to correct took longer than the install itself. Using a script in a VM will add even more layers of problems. In addition to creating problems, the install script robs you of the opportunity to learn how Linux works that would otherwise be yours at absolutely no cost. Failing to do something the first - or first several - times isn’t failure. Years ago, I learned more about how, and more importantly why, Linux works, not by completing a project, but by attempting numerous times to install Gentoo and numerous times, failing spectacularly.

Now to the advice, with which I respectfully disagree. Don’t take it easy. Don’t take it slow. Don’t opt for an easier to install distro. Installing Arch is the only way I know for someone to realize that installing Arch isn’t difficult. The sharpest learning curve for new Linux users when installing Arch, actually has nothing to do with Arch per se. It’s partitioning and file systems which are common to all Linux distros, just a bit more hands on in Arch and Gentoo. Once you learn those, you conquered 90% of the difficulty of installing Arch and probably 70% of installing Gentoo.

Best of luck to you in your journey away from Windows and into the light…

3 Likes

Welcome @kdsf

Absolutely right. Linux is meant to be a learning experience. Doing things the ‘hard’ way might be slow at first, but in the long run it pays off because you will learn to cope with more issues.

Regards
Neville

1 Like

I’ve installed Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, and now Manjaro. After being used by Windows for quite a while :wink: . It’s all possible, to be sure.

Even doing things the the “easy” way, you will be exposed to the “hard” way periodically…Persistence furthers, as in all things.

2 Likes

Indeed Kim,
I think you and I have a similar philosophy.
“If you dont carry your cross, you shall get a heavier one”

1 Like

I don’t agree fully. Linux is for many people just an operating system, a platform on which you do your actual work or entertain yourself.

Of course, in depth knowledge is always helpful, but I personally don’t think it’s necessary in order to happily use it on a common device - unless you have a personal interest in the ins and outs of operating systems, of course.

2 Likes

Hi Mina,
I think I have to agree to that.

For me, most of the fun and entertainment comes from learning… learning anything, not just Linux.
I guess I am a bit unusual.
At least Linux and all open source at least allows the possibility of learning. Compared to ‘closed shop’ systems, Linux is a learners dream.

Regards
Neville

1 Like

Here we are on the same page. I also really enjoy the challenges, when trying to do something by myself.
I just meant: You don’t have to take this route with Linux. Nowadays, it runs well enough just out of the box.

Its OK. I understand. There is no compulsion to learn every detail . The modern desktop does a lot to help users.
I did not want to scare people away.

1 Like

Arch will install in VirtualBox. Took about 2hrs, had to use the “VBoxVGA” setting to get a Mate display. Have yet to install “virtualbox-guest-essentials” Maybe later or never at all.

2 Likes