Installing Windows 10 alongside Ubuntu

Hello,

Ive just about installed Windows 10 alongside Ubuntu.

Ive followed these steps but am stuck right at the end when i try to boot up the Windows 10 USB stick to install. Ive put it to the top of the boot order but Ubuntu boots up as usual. Ive used Ventoy.

How to Create a Bootable Windows 10 USB in Linux.

Windows is on the USB stick but doesnt boot up when changed to the top of the boot up order. Ive tried booting it up straight after downloading it from Microsoft ISO.

Can some one please help with this?

Thanks.

I forgot to flash the USB so i used Belena etcher and now on boot up order i have, USB entry for windows to go but it still doesnt boot Windows up.

ā€™

ā€™

@sydsider66
Please explain!!! I just copy and paste the W10 ISO over to the Ventoy Fat partition. When the Ventoy USB is used I just restart the PC and do an F10 and boot Ventoy, I then choose which
ISO I wish to run. You also know that a 32GB USB is the largest that Ventoy can use, because
of the Fat32 partition.

Please, use Rufus, according to the following guide.

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-windows-11-bootable-usb-with-rufus/

Additionally, make sure the hashes match after having downloaded the ISO.

I cannot stress enough not to dual boot any OS. Iā€™ve yet to see any become stable for any sustained period of time.
Microsoft demands Windows be installed first (track 0) or it will not perform satisfactorily if at all.
Linux doesnā€™t care where on the disk you put it as long as the boot sector is set properly. If you MUST have dual boot with Microsoft then I urge the use of two hard drives with booting using boot select from the BIOS. That has been shown to be the most stable but again, it never lasts.
When you install the OS on the hard drive, disconnect ALL other drives until it proves itself to be stable. Then disconnect it and connect the second drive and install the second OS. Once that is stable, disconnect it. If either drive is Microsoft, connect it to the first (0) connector and the second drive to any other you like.
Then use the bios to select which OS you want.
History has shown this to be the most stable install possible. But again, be ready to watch it fail at the MOST important moment.

4 Likes

Hello,

Thats exactly what seems to have happened. Ive installed Ubuntu then Windows in dual boot and Windows is doing weird things already. I cant get any dark theme to work anywhere and it seems to be on permanent high brightness. When i go to click on the adjust brightness in the settings it spins the wheel as if loading, then when it goes into the adjust brightness page it shuts it down immediately and reverts to another open page i have open. Its a mess. I wish i had never tried Ubuntu. Its cost me time, money and a lot of frustration. I thought it was easy to do all of this. The BIG PROBLEM HERE is that they make out its easy and then the nightmare starts. Im going to completely delete Ubuntu and reinstall my NEWLY purchased easy to use Windows 10 Pro. This Ubuntu is for computer enthusiasts. Im not a computer enthusiast. Just a simple man with a simple life. They need to change the false advertising that its all too easy to do with Ubuntu. Its not for most. Thanks for your advice. I will be taking it.

I will report back once ive uninstalled Ubuntu and reinstalled Windows on any issues with the above continuing.

I ended up getting it done. But the tutorial is like a bucket full of holes. But it helped.

@sydsider66
Install VirtualBox in W10 and try Ubuntu, Mint, MXLinux or whatever flavor of Linux you wish to try, some distros will run better than others in a VM.
Dual booting Windows and Linux is not hard if the right protocol is followed.
I have PCLinuxOS and three other different Windows versions booting on
one machine.

2 Likes

Why dont you have a go at writing a tutorial. Then you will see how difficult it is to write something that covers every contingency.

And, a tutorial alone is the wrong way to go about it. You need to also read something that explains how things work, so that when you use the tutorial you can spot the ā€˜holesā€™

There is no way Linux can interfere with Windows in the way you describe. It might interfere with booting Windows, but once Windows is running, it is completely independent of any Linux present on another disk partition.

Anyway, I am glad you got it going, and I hope you enjoy the benefits of a dual boot machine. There is help around if you need it.

Regards
Neville

3 Likes

I uninstalled Ubuntu and have reinstalled Windows 10 Pro successfully.
Everything is working perfectly as usual.

Moral of the story.
This is about the Ubuntu website not Foss.

Dont bloat out that Ubuntu is a no drama OS.
That is BS.
Maybe true for the enthusiast but not for the majority.
Windows is a user friendly OS for anyone.
Ubuntu is not for everyone.

Thanks Blade. Youre a legend man.

No, your initial problem was with not doing a USB stick install properly.
Everything is a consequence of that.

Popular proprietary software is usually user-friendlier, than Free Software. That is often the case. However, there are many examples of proprietary software that are not user-friendly, not even user-friendlier than open source counterparts. For example, look at what Atlassian builds. Most people I know, including myself, simply cannot get along with how the UI works and itā€™s just a pain. Even after them overhauling the UI, it still is not very user-friendly. Itā€™s still a chore.

As for operating systems, macOS and Windows are tons more user-friendly. That is a simple fact.

Howeverā€¦

Especially, the popular proprietary operating systems are like a pact with the devil. You are almost literally selling your soul.

You are giving up your entire digital life to that software. Think I am exaggerating?

Then answer the following questions for yourself.

• Where do all your passwords go through?
  • What software is always running when you turn on the computer?
  • Where do you user other software, like an internet browser, to search something on DuckDuckGo?
  • Where do you create new files, like for example, text files, to write down private notes or reminders?
  • Where do you spent your digital life?
  • Where does the browser run you use to access social media, where you have private stuff on?
  • Where does the E-Mail client run, where you have private e-mails?
  • Where are all the passwords saved, for example for the e-mail client, you are using?
  • Where do you unlock your encrypted hard drive?
  • Where do you take backups of your private family photos, videos and other media?
  • Where did you write your post and open this thread?

There is a single answer to all these questions. The operating system, you are currently using. I.e. seems like itā€™s Windows.

So, no, Windows is not for everyone. Itā€™s for people who are willing to sell their digital soul for the sake of convenienve or willful ignorance towards the fact of what they are doing. By now, everyone who uses a computer should at least have an idea of how much data is sapped from users of software of any kind. Everyone complains about Google and Google Services, etc. Which is correct. But the true devil is residing on all the Windows, macOS, Android, iOS running devicesā€¦

Therefore, a free operating system like GNU/Linux has its place and it wonā€™t vanish anytime soon. Itā€™s by the way also the by far most popular server operating system in the entire world, but thatā€™s another story and is not related to user-friendliness.
Such an operating system is built up by a community of volunteers, who either contribute developing or voluntarily pay developers to contribute.

With Windows for example, you donā€™t get that. You only get a middle finger each major Windows upgrade. Do you even know how many features were stripped from the operating system between Windows 7 and Windows 10? You donā€™t even know, I bet.
They were stripped, because they were unpopular.

The same reason why the operating systems are so user-friendly and popular is also the same reason why it gets worse and is dumbed down, every couple of years through a major release.

With Linux you get a chainsaw with a twisted handle, but at least you get a chainsaw, that does not alert the manufacturer when you try to replace the battery yourself, instead of paying $350 for the replacement, even though it should only cost $25.
It also does not listen to how you defecate in your bathroom, leading to loud thuds, whenever an excrement hits the wall of water inside the defecation waste disposal device. It also does not report any of that to the NSA.
It neither has accepted/approved/intended backdoors for the NSA built in.

2 Likes

Donā€™t wanna fire up a heated discussion or flame anyone, butā€¦
You might read this: Linux is NOT Windows

4 Likes

Hi @Fast.Edi ,
Yes that is a good article
Can I add another story. In the scientific computing world there was a massive move into Unix ( initially more BSD than Linux) simply because scientists needed special software like compilers which were very expensive to obtain for Windows., but came bundled with Unix for free.

There was also an enormous improvement in communication between scientists when networking of Unix machines enabled things like email and ftp and www. Microsoft came very late into the networking world and Windows never really embraced the established networking standards, but instead attempted to setup alternatives. Hence we have thingd like samba which is dedicated to making Windows networking look like real Unix networking.

And the third thing about the scientific computing world is that there is lots of maths with large matrices. Linear algebra software needs lots of ram. Windows has a limited address space (16Gb). That is not nearly enough. A Linux program can address as much ram as a 64 bit integer can address. (2^ 64) bytes, I think is the limit. Things like climate modelling need huge amounts of ram. Windows just does not cut it in that scene.

Sorry to rave on. People need to be aware that there are other uses for computers outside of the normal desktop or notebook, and that Linux wins as soon as the technical requirements become more stringent.

Neville

2 Likes

Yeah. Donā€™t remember, when I ran into it I think that must be a few years ago, but was so stunned. And giggled a bitā€¦
And found out, that there is a German translationā€¦

By the way, how is your dual language document idea going?

There is anotber thing about Windows. It does not separate the window system fromt the operating system. Linux keeps them distinct so you can mix various DEā€™s with various Linuxes .

Neville

Aaand you (mostly) still have the OS running, if the DE crashes.

Good callā€¦ I think itā€™s finished (at least as of translated). Open to discussion and/or correctionsā€¦

Yes good point @Fast.Edi
That used to be very important when DTEā€™s first came out. You could kill the window system with and drop back to Unix to recover.

Will take a look at the translation
Neville

Hmm I have windows 10, Ubuntu 18 since 2017. And now Ubuntu 22 in another partition same ssd.use windows twice a weekā€¦

Welcome @Tushar_Kapila ,
Yes, Windows and Linux can coexist on one disk. It just requires a bit of knowledge plus careful application, in setting it up.

Be carefule if you update Windows. Linux updates should not disturb anything, but installing a new version of Windows can interfere with the grub bootloader. If that happens, it is not a big deal, you just reinstall grub.

Regards
Neville

[quote=ā€œFast.Edi, ,
:16, topic:8857ā€]
I think itā€™s finished (at least as of translated). Open to discussion and/or correctionsā€¦
[/quote]

Hi @Fast.Edi ,
Well I think it is an achievement

Only one issueā€¦ the first subheading in the Brave New World section is not translated.

Follow it up. Its a good technique.
Can you tell how many people view it?
Neville