Kubuntu memory problems

Should be able to solve the issue.

@akito thanks a million! Will let you know how i get on,would be soooo nice to get a working laptop! (my old Windows vista laptop worked better than this one!)

@Akito not sure this is safe or necessary due to conflicting answers :S https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/92366/acpi-errors-exeptions-why-they-spam-how-to-know-and-fix-it

Read all the articles and I’m very confused,I’m a beginner and can’t follow ,like when they say change “X” ,I don’t know how to & not comfortable fiddling,deleting & editing stuff that I have no idea what it does…

Also https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-installation-stuck-acpi-error-ae_not_found.247400/ seemed to refer to a Mac but I’m probably mistaken.
Would anybody be able to give me step by step instructions,I’m sorry if that makes things painfully slow but it’s the only way I can actually make any progress without the risk of turning the PC into a brick which would suck as the laptop is pretty new.Thanks!

i’m not usually one to suggest a fresh installation if someone doesn’t say that is what they are looking for, but if

that is something you are already planning on doing soon anyways i have to wonder if it wouldn’t save you some time and frustration especially in the short term. i know a fresh install isn’t always a complete fix, but at the very least it might be worth considering :slight_smile:

troubleshooting can be a hit or (often and) miss procedure. you asked before

and unfortunately there is not real way to know without trying a fix and seeing what happens.

i’m still willing to try (and hopefully others will chip in if they can) if you decide you would rather wait. i just thought it was worth a mention.

in regards to your statement about turning your pc into a brick, do you have some kind of backup program set to use in case something goes wrong like that? i like timeshift because it is pretty user-friendly.

1 Like

@01101111 Yeah Kubuntu has very little support & as a beginner I prefer video tutorials to extensive online searches that only showed 2 complicated PDFs as instructions .(other than the really basic stuff of changing the appearance)
Ubuntu or Linux Mint seem like better options.Unless you have other suggestions?

Is there anything I can do while I wait to some extent improve this? The freezes & tabs crashing repeatedly is very irritating.

Would timeshift not be constantly writing & re/writing & “damaging” the memory to my cheap external hard drive? The method I use is copying new files every couple of days,instead of copying everything all over again (including the new files)

I have an external hard drive (learnt the hard way from Libre Office file overwriting itself & losing all data on that file,as unlike MS Word it doesn’t automatically save previous versions of the file,ugh )

what i meant to be the more important point of my last post is whether or not you still want to wait or would you consider making the switch now. i can and will answer your other questions/address your other points, but that is my main question :slight_smile:

Oh,I misunderstood you I think,well my plan was to go to a Linux convention and get help uninstalling Kubuntu & deciding to switch to another flavor after discussing it with them & getting help installing it because I didn’t install it so well,was following a tutorial & didn’t select Ext4 or Ext5 as I just copied exactly what the outdated tutorial guy did.

I did have a friend who managed to install Kubuntu on top of Ubuntu & it caused a lot of errors,so I won’t be asking him again because that took hours to fix.It might be a pain but atm I’m thinking boot each session with Ubuntu on a USB.What do you think? WouldIi have to update it every time I boot the PC? I don’t have hours to spend fixing this in October unfortunately :confused: I could boot into Windows but I don’t want to,I’m not familiar with Windows 10 & there’s the security risks (& I’m not comfortable with their data hogging & lack of respecting privacy) which I just don’t have time to deal security risks if something goes wrong & I need this PC to work.Hope that makes sense…

1 Like

I don’t think this is necessary. There are a lot of great beginner tutorials for Linux on YouTube. A while ago I found this one:

But there are also more specific videos such as this one:

Such videos should be more than detailed and explicit enough so even the most layman person can understand it, as far as they can handle basic operations on the computer.

1 Like

great,thanks,those look really good ! :smiley: Now I need to decide which flavor though :s I wish they had as good tutorials for Kubuntu,not sure why they don’t.

1 Like

Mint is basically the Ubuntu for Hipsters since it came out. That is why most tutorials are based on that.
But you definitely would find information about Kubuntu, as this is still one of the most popular distributions.

below is ubuntu’s list of their different flavors. the link you gave to your computer says it only has 4 gb of ram and i couldn’t tell from your photos if memtest said the same. if that is so, you might want to try one of the lighter desktops like xubuntu, lubuntu or mate (my computer can use 3+ gb with a lot of firefox tabs and a couple of other programs open). mint has similar light choices in mate and xfce desktops.

@cordex I did consider some of those but I think didn’t go with them because of no long term support

@Akito kito I really did try to find Kubuntu tutorials & couldn’t find any detailed ones other than the 2 hard to find PDFs I referenced to previously.Not sure if you found any that were more advanced than changing the appearance in terms of video tutorials… and if so,maybe it would be helpful to list those in this thread for those who don’t have the type of issues that I have when running Kubuntu… Because I certainly had a hard time finding any

all three of those ubuntu flavors come with long term support (lts). the version number determines that in ubuntu. for now any of them based on 18.04 (bionic beaver) are all lts. if i recall correctly mint is always based on the lts version of ubuntu (or debian) so all flavors of mint will have it as well.

@Ignorant_Icicle, like @01101111 pointed out there are lots of LTS Ubuntu and Ubuntu based Linux flavors to chose from. If you ever used Windows XP, 7, or 10 may I suggest Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2. I may the switch from Windows 10 this past spring and the transition from Windows to Linux Mint was quite smooth.
As a reminder, always have a backup for your system before making major changes.

1 Like

Thanks!
You mean a back up of files right,not a back up of the Windows installation or both?

1 Like

out of curiosity, i went ahead and read through the links and a few of my own search results. as long as your system boots, it doesn’t look like there is anything you need to do about these particular errors unless they are filling your system with log files.

as @easyt50 mentioned, i feel like mint is a good choice for someone who is learning and is looking for a system that “just works out of the box” after an install. most of my post-install work was getting fonts set large enough to read :eye::eyeglasses:

timeshift writes when you tell it to. it can be set to hourly, daily, weekly or monthly. it only keeps track of system files (like a restore point in windows). keeping copies of your personal files (like pictures or office documents) is something you would need to keep up with personally or use another program.

i find timeshift most helpful when i am making system changes like you were talking about with the acpi errors. if a change makes your system unable to boot, timeshift can help you get it back to the previous state.

If I may add my two penny worth. It might be worth while your looking at Mint which you can do via this page; https://www.linuxmint.com it is worthwhile reading through it and trying a live edition first. I did this when first coming across. While there are many flavours of many Distros as a learner to Linux it is best to stick to the main editions, so Ubuntu would also be a good choice.
While this advice might not resolve your problems with Kubuntu memory, a completely different system should mean that you will not have any memory problems. I know Mint is still presently in 32 bit as well, I am not sure of Ubuntu as I am not totally familiar with it

@ElectricDandySlider Thanks “should be mean?” unsure what you’re trying to say there… One of my family members has mint,so that could be a plus,is there as much support for it as for Ubuntu? I’ve seen Ask Ubuntu has many answered questions about Ubuntu issues… wondering if Mint has the same somewhere else…

I don’t know where the log files would be.

Ah okay system files,if a problem does occur then how do you use Timeshift,like a bootable USB?