Link email Ubuntu 18.4 to Windows 10 AT&T

This may be a dumb question, gut I’ve hit a snag trying to link my Ubuntu email to my Windows 10 AT&T email. That window that pops open in Ubuntu email to fill in the blanks has displayed what appears to be the Incoming and Outgoing addresses from my W10 email. I’ve filled out my name and email address as per the W 10 info. When I put in my W 10 password and click the button to execute, it comes back with a “shotgun” message that anything, name, email address incoming and outgoing or my password are wrong.

The question is which password to use? The W10 password or the Ubuntu password? I’m thinking it should be the W10 password and that the problems is with the incoming and outgoing addresses Ubuntu has picked up. Am I right?

Thanks

Pat

Are you talking about an Outlook e-mail address?

Hi Akito,

No, not Outlook. Mine is “Yahoo! mail” through AT&T internet service.

Pat

Not quite sure what that makes out of it. Can you elaborate on this specification?

2 Likes

Just open the Yahoo Webpage and login to Yahoo Mail, AT&T is just your internet service provider, https://www.yahoo.com/mail and login, be sure and bookmark
the login page.

2 Likes

Hi Retired Guy. I too was having a problem with AT&T/Yahoo mail. I only run Ubuntu 20.04 with W10 in virtualbox. I use Thunderbird as my email server. If I understand you correctly you are trying to log in via Ubuntu. AT&T/Yahoo mail has new settings, I use pop3 mail, the settings were pop.mail.att.net. The new settings are pop.mail.yahoo.com, to receive and to send it is smtp.mail.yahoo.com. And you use the password you would use to log in to AT&T. I too went back and forth to AT&T/Yahoo web site to check my email, after about a week of this I had had enough. I use Thunderbird because I put in the email address and Thunderbird does the rest for me after I install the password. However since they have changed the format (AT&T) it didn’t work out so well so I just set it up manually and it took a while to find the correct settings.
From one retired guy to another I hope this helps.

If you look at @mvelte54, you will see why I first want to find out the actual issue instead of expressing very premature solution attempts. As @mvelte54 has lined out, there indeed is or at least was a significance to the issuer of the address, in this case AT&T. So don’t prematurely assume, that the original poster is confusing two separate subjects, as perhaps they may be related after all.
:pick:

Of course Akito you are correct I assumed when all the facts weren’t clear. I also assumed that this being a community forum all are welcome to input their own solutions that worked for them.

1 Like

mvelte54

Boy was this an experience. I tried your addresses for the email and thunderbird didn’t like that at all just like the default ones when I first tried it. So I had to call Tech support at at&t and I guess the bottom line was that I didn’t have an at&t KEY. It took some going through a bunch of online pages to login several times, answer some questions and fill in some boxes but I finally got it and now I’m in with thunderbird.

The next issue is to sync the Firefox bookmarks which now have me at a dead end. I was doing fine with the sync until it prompts me to log into my other Firefox account which I can’t do since that’s on this same PC under Windows 10!!! Can I some how copy my W 10 FF bookmarks onto a stick drive and then close down Windows and boot up Linux and copy the bookmarks into FF up here?

Thanks,

Pat

firefox sync doesn’t have a different password for your account depending on which operating system (windows or ubuntu) you are using. the same sync password should work just fine for either.

if you want to download your bookmarks and use them without sync, that is also possible:

1 Like

If you had a smart phone, load Firefox app on it and Sync it too. Then when asked to Syn from Firefox on Ubuntu, you could sync from smart phone. Just a thought.
After the sync, you could remove Firefox from the smart phone. Performing the export / import of bookmarks will work for bookmarks, but it will not sync all the other options nor will it keep the the two Firefoxes in sync including the bookmarks.

2 Likes

Hi easy50,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I have a “dumb” phone, we carry around for use if we get stranded someplace.
It’s not that big a deal as I get into windows a lot as I’m trying to learn Linux.

I know AT&T can be a real pain especially when they change formats. Now that you have all that working now I would suggest you open a word program and copy and paste everything associated with AT&T mail settings for both Win10 and Ubuntu just in case you run into this again. I have a folder with settings from as far back as 1993. Passwords, email addresses, server settings, I call it AT&T CRAP.
As far as bookmarks I also back those up into a folder, and replace them once every couple of months. It’s funny to import the old bookmarks say from 2 years ago and see what it was that had me stumped then. But if you open bookmarks and I am assuming you know this you can import-export. My .json file (bookmarks) are 394.6 kB (394,630 bytes) very small. It will very easily fit on a thumb drive. I can’t say for sure that they are compatible, i.e. Linux Firefox to Win10 Firefox but I would think it should very easily import into ether OS. I am not that schooled on syncing or how it works. But how could you sync from say Android to Win to Linux without a hitch?
Just my thoughts, good luck.

“As far as bookmarks I also back those up into a folder,”

How do you back up the bookmarks. In the Firefox, Windows 10 edition, I can’t see any method in the Menu to do a backup, or do you go out and find the file containing the bookmarks and copy that to a thumb?

Thanks

Pat

Pat, as far as I remember backing / restoring up bookmarks is a Firefox option so it’s the same under Windows and Ubuntu.
See the star with underline / bar in your Firefox menu bar? If not it is easy to add to the menu. It’s the item you click on to bring up sites you have bookmarked. Once you click on it, the next to top item is 'Show All Bookmarks", click on that and you should see a screen like this;

Now you can use the ‘Import and Backup’ option. Click on it and follow instructions. :smiley:

Oh Good Grief! I don’t know how many years I’ve been looking at that page and did not see that option. Talk about being blind! It must be creeping old age with me, only accelerating
Thank You!

Pat

1 Like