Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa first impressions

Wireless connection is not the problem. Mint cannot find the wireless card during installation, but one can manually get it to search for it. It then works. After reboot, the wireless card is lost again, and has to be installed one more time. After that it sticks without further problems. Just my experience.

1 Like

It all depends which wireless card is installed and what driver it’s using. Hardware has much better compatibility now that a few years ago. But still a long way to go.
19.1 has worked very well on this laptop but had problems with 19 on another one so just left 18.3 on it until I have time to sort it all out. All in all 19.1 is the best Linux desktop I’ve used.

1 Like

I am pleased to say that I have solved my PDF problem with Mint mate edition and would like to thank all who gave me advice on this problem.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know - perhaps when you have a moment you can post your solution as it would help the other members of our community who may have a problem with it.

1 Like

I actually saw the solution on a blog, could have been here. But I opened Libre draw and looked for a settings option but could not find anything but then I noticed an ‘options’ drop box and found ‘print to file’ and remembered that I saw on a blog that to solve PDF issues I needed to click that and it worked. I am still fairly new to Linux Mint as I used to use Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 and with both of these I could just scan and print out whatever I wanted without without any of this print to file stuff. It’s working now and that is the main thing.

cpast

1 Like

Just installed Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon a couple days ago on my desktop. It is Great! So far, no problems.

3 Likes

Glad to hear this. IMHO it is the best version yet. The news about 19.2 that is coming through seems to hint at further improvements in Mint

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Installing wine

Sounds great. Using WD disks with Linux is one problem I have not been able to solve. I might be able to do away with dual-boot, If someone can figure this one out for me.

1 Like

do you want to get the new thread started (not trying to pressure you. just not sure if you were waiting for me to get it going :slightly_smiling_face:)?

it might be helpful to know the models of your wd drives (if you have that info handy) and a brief description of what you previously tried to do to get them working.

It is there - in the software manager - just search for it - It is the very first item, Play on Linux front end for Wine.
Regarding the problem with the external WD disks. It is not a Linux problem but a Windows problem. I have explained the solution to this is another post, but I can not find it. The simple answer is to open up Windows and when it shows the drive, right click on it and run the repair bit. Sorry it is that long since I have used this I forget the exact wording. Once you have done that it safely remove the drive. Load into Linux and the drive will be found. I have done this on 4 drives and it worked on each one.

2 Likes

i had forgotten about play on linux :slight_smile:

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: HDD external drive

A post was merged into an existing topic: Unlock WD Password Protected HDD in Linux

I have moved things from here, because they have little to do with the topic in question. Which meant it was being taken into a direction I had not intended it to go into. This was about the first impressions I got when I installed Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa and nothing else. I have also closed this topic now as because of this and will delete if need be.

It is important that we keep to the topic of the thread and if we have questions to start a new thread this makes it easier for people who may have the question to follow . They might not be able to do so other wise.

1 Like

Oh, thanks. They changed the name. Before it was just called Wine. Now it is called ‘Playonlinux’ and says it is a front end for wine. But hey, if this is wine, then that’s what I was looking for. I will give it a try.

1 Like