Linux Mint 19.3 does not boot

@DaMoosehttps://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=281777
You really need to read this before you go any further.

Go to Device Manager and do what is in the screenshot.
Save your money, HP cannot help, that Optane Memory Module is the culprit.

1 Like

Chuck

1. A 32 GB partition is plenty big for a Linux install.
  2. You do not set up a Linux partition in Windows!
  3. the space for Linux can be an allocated or UN-allocated spot on the HDD.
  4. The allocated place for Linux is define in Linux at install time.
  5. Until someone solves the problem that a Linux live USB can not see your HDD to define
    a place to install Linux, we are just spinning our wheels. ie; getting no place.
  6. See your own screen snap shot at 13 / 41. Linux does not see a HDD! Your screen shot should have looked something like my screen shot at 7 / 41.
  7. Last time. Linux can not be install on something it can not see!

Anyway Chuck, that’s my 2 cents. I may have been a little blunt, but I hope you do not take it as being rude. That was not my intent. I asked others for help with your problem, as you can tell that did not work well. A call to 6 or more people and only @4dandl4 came by to help. So much for any influence I have here.
I want to “Thank You” @4dandl4 for giving it your best shot.

Sometimes things that are usually simple get over complicated. If you can’t make a USB install work you can try to install from a live disk. No disk drive? No problem. Buy an external USB disk drive for about 30.00; Dowload the linux 19.3 file; burn a bootable disk; boot from that disk and install.

@LouDamelin…That will not work either, this system and others like it, are built around that
Intel Optane Memory Module, and that is what is the rabbit hole. Leave Windows alone
before it breaks and try to run Linux in a VM.

@easyt50…Thanks @easyt50, @DaMoose can always try to run Linux in a VM.

@DaMoose

Linux Mint 20 installed on an 500GB HDD. These are the partitions needed for a Linux install.
You really only need a Swap and a ext4 / and run home within the / root partition.
The thing here is that these are Linux partitions, and Windows will not create Linux partitions.

I do have Intel’s Optane drive

Thank you gentlemen for giving me your best advice and knowledge. I’m calling HP Support to see if they’ll take my computer back. It’s no good to me in this state. I purchased it from HP on the HP Retiree (30.5 years HP veteran) website and will see what they can do for me. The Pavilion is a fancy boat anchor at this stage.

Again, thanks for your help identifying my problem. Will now try solving that issue…

Thank you. I did not know what Optane memory was so I googled it.
It seems that Windows 10 is required to use it. It apparently is not compatible with Linux.

@LouDamelin…It is not per se the Memory Module, but the active raid needed
for setup to run Windows. Linux will not touch any active raid setup.

1 Like

@DaMoose…I would not call it a boat anchor, it could still make a decent laptop.
One ?, and excuse my prying. Why are you needing Linux so badly? Good luck
with HP.

Not prying. I previously worked at HP for 30.5 years and retired in August 2000. Don’t do the math… I’m 82 now. I have seen Microsoft and the way it works while I was a Worldwide Support Program Mgr for HP Omnibook XE2 laptops. I have gone through multiple blue screens and hackings and prefer not to go through that mess any longer. I have a 6 or7 year old HP Envy laptop loaded with Linux 18.3 and guessed I could do that with a newer HP laptop. As I have found out, that ain’t necessarily so any longer as HP is in bed with MS. Long story short, I like Linux and will not go back to MS Win (anything) any time soon.

@DaMoose…WOW!!! I will turn 73 in a few days, the first PC I owned and
bought was a Gateway running W97. Built my first PC over 20 yrs ago
and after upgrading, it is still running and my last big boy PC is going on
10 years old, have never bought another off the shelf PC. I have read about
some of the new breed of PC’s and processors, and how they are being locked
down for the sake of Microsoft and W10. I do not like not being able to run
what I wish, but I cannot completely give up Windows.
Hope you get sastisfied, and if I can help do not hesitate to contact me.
BTW it sounds like you could teach me a few things.
Stay safe from this covid.

1 Like

@DaMoose … 82 and still going strong! I hope I can still be at at 82. And @4dandl4 almost 73. I suppose I the young kid at 70. My first home PC was a Atari 400 with 16 KB in 1984. I started work as a programmer in 1970 on a IBM 360/30 mainframe that had only 32 KB of core memory.
What’s core memory? Google it if interested.
Good Luck Chuck, and stay safe.

1 Like