Make sure you have all the printer drivers installed

Having seen that Tara installed the printer and done a test to make sure it had done so I thought nothing else of it. Then my wife tried to scan a document to her lap top and couldn’t. I thought it was something she was doing wrong either within Libre Office or with the print options. So I looked at these and she wasn’t.
I then thought I’d just re-install the printer HP ENVY 5530 so added the printer and also added the duplex which I had done in previous versions of Mint and then tried again. The scanner has worked perfectly since doing.

To be honest I wouldn’t have thought about doing any further checking if my wife had not had this problem. This is why I am mentioning this, because many of us are fairly new to Linux and wont think to check if our printer shows up as working.

Usually mint needs to restart for the scanner to work I had the same issue with other models of printers
But yes you do need to make sure you get all the bits to make it function correctly even after the auto installation not always clear
It’s usually safer to blame the dog than my wife as the dog does not answer back…

:rofl::rofl: nice reply

I use a Canon 88oof scanner and after I installed Linux Mint 19 Mate (first time user of Mint as I usually use Ubuntu but prefer the Unity desktop so I changed). I turned the computer off after the installation and plugged in the scanner and it worked no problem after I booted it again. I have used this scanner for several years and it has never let me down.