i decided to give installing manjaro xfce a try on my 32-bit machine to see how it’s resource consumption compares to bodhi linux and antiX. i was also interested in working with something that wasn’t ubuntu- or debian-based.
the installation process itself was fairly straightforward, but i ran into a bit of an issue when trying to update. i kept getting some variation of “invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)” accompanied by “signature from… is marginal (or unknown) trust” which would then end the update procedure with a failure message.
i ran the process a few times to make sure it wasn’t just a fluke. rebooted and ran it again. i was offered a kernel update (nice added feature) and hoped maybe that would change the situation. unfortunately it did not.
finally a few duckduck searches later, i found some very helpful info first in the manjaro wiki. that got me close, but lacked a couple of minor (but imperative for my system) details. i finally found those on the manjaro forum.
the first important difference was that i was installing 32-bit. that meant that i needed to replace “archlinux” with “archlinux32” in the commands given. that seemed to help and get me a bit further down the path, but i was still being asked to accept keys that were considered marginal or unknown trust. that’s where the second additional command came in. i needed to update my package mirrors.
the list of commands i ended up using was:
sudo pacman-mirrors -f0
#to update my package mirrors
sudo rm -fr /etc/pacman.d/gnupg
#to clear the untrusted keys
sudo pacman-key --init
#to reinitialize the key system is my best guess
sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux32 manjaro
#to get a new set of keys. this is where i needed to add the 32 because the 64-bit keys kept getting (understandably) rejected
sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys
#seems pretty self-explanatory
sudo pacman -Sc
#to clear out the packages from the failed install
sudo pacman -Syyu
#to force sync the package database (yy) and install updates (u)
i was going to post parts of this on the manjaro forum and then cross-post here to add to the general knowledge base, but they close threads after 90 days of inactivity so i thought it might be a good idea to share a bit more detailed explanation here just in case someone else wanders into the same system error