Mini-PC of your recommendation to work with Linux

Hello friends

Exists the option to buy a Mini-PC - it would be the first acquisition in my life. I know Intel NUC 13 was moved to Asus. I watched some videos on YouTube about the best recommendations in 2023. Appears many times Beelink and nothing about Asus (even when it already have some Mini-PC available) and nothing about Lenovo, HP, Dell etc … and I remember other mention about Geekom

To be honest I never heard about Beelink and Geekom manufactures

According with your experience, if you would buy a new Mini-PC: What would be the manufacturer of your preference? Or I should wait a little more of time to see how Asus release the NUC 13?

Thanks for your understanding

3 Likes

Hi Manuel, :wave:

that is an interesting question, which I´ve been asking myself as well (on a purely theoretical level though).

So I would like to join this question and - if I may - add another aspect:

I know there are mini-PCs available with the option “no operating system installed”, which would quite nicely fit the bill, if you´re looking for something to install Linux on.

But one has to be careful not to run into “barebones”, as they often enough will come without RAM as well.

I don´t know if you´re looking for barebones, Manuel, or just any mini-PC, but I guess that´s an aspect worth keeping in mind.

I myself (for my personal scenario) would like to have all hardware components installed.
Whether it comes without any OS would be a of secondary importance.
Just my personal opinion. :wink:

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ive used several beelinks for projects and they have worked out fine. My computer is a Shuttle - the size of a large shoe box - and I have several of them. I have tried the Asus and when it works its great but any issues and their support will only talk in terms of Windows 10, etc. Very frustrating. (Though, to be fair, Shuttle is the same way now) The Intel NUC I had the overall worst exp though when I got it working it did work out fine.

2 Likes

I think most of this was covered in your last question

Or not ?

Manuel - is this a general pc?
Other than browsing, email and normal spreadsheets,
what else would you do with it?

Hi Manuel,
I saw this video yesterday and I think it’s related to what you’re looking for, so here’s the link:

Jorge

1 Like

Hello to all

Huge thanks for the reply

@Rosika

I know there are mini-PCs available with the option “no operating system installed”, which would quite nicely fit the bill, if you´re looking for something to install Linux on.

That info is very interesting. In what page did you see that option (bold part)? It is funny because I wrote through Twitter to Asus suggesting that option to its laptops. So if it is possible for MiniPcs it is great for me :slight_smile:

But one has to be careful not to run into “barebones”, as they often enough will come without RAM as well.

What do you mean with “barebones”?

I don´t know if you´re looking for barebones, Manuel, or just any mini-PC, but I guess that´s an aspect worth keeping in mind.

My intention is buy a laptop for developing purposes - I am a Java/Spring developer. I have some preference for Asus because I have one. But a friend told me about NUC … so after to did do a research I found the Mini PC term. Therefore with a Mini-PC I can buy more RAM/CPU over a laptop with minor price. It is good for me. 16GB to 32GB.

I myself (for my personal scenario) would like to have all hardware components installed. Whether it comes without any OS would be a of secondary importance.

Agree, as summary a laptop or MiniPC without OS should be an option to buy in the web such as Amazon. Therefore I can install Linux in peace.

@wadesmart

Ive used several beelinks for projects and they have worked out fine.

Pls, could you consider in share some models? Mostly about the CPU specs? Intel o AMD?

I have tried the Asus and when it works its great but any issues and their support will only talk in terms of Windows 10, etc. Very frustrating.

Interesting, I bought my Asus at 2016 and zero problems so far.

The Intel NUC I had the overall worst exp though when I got it working it did work out fine.

Can you share your experience?

@callpaul.eu

Or not ?

That post was explicitly for NUC. Yes, I know there are other answer but perhaps other members of this forum did not participate there because the question was explicit about NUC. Now is about of all the branches.

@wadesmart

Manuel - is this a general pc?
Other than browsing, email and normal spreadsheets,
what else would you do with it?

As mentioned before for developing. It should work with Docker SQL & NoSQL databases too.

@Tech_JA

Thanks for the video watching right now. BTW I watched many videos on YouTube. I wrote this post because I think is better a direct experience of you all.

Thanks to all !!!

2 Likes

Minisforum HX90 AMD Ryzen 9 5900 has been my only PC for a several months now. Upgraded from 32 to 64MB and 512MB to 2TB M.2. Use it to edit music, video files, cloud file sharing, Linux native games, Plex server, email, browsing, etc. Very satisfied with performance, price (got on flash sale). Currently running Linux Mint of course.
Linux Mint installed flawlessly with no need for any modifications to BIOS and no extra drivers.

2 Likes

Hi Manuel, :wave:

as for “barebones”:

A barebone computer is a partially assembled platform or an unassembled kit of computer parts allowing more customization and lower costs than a retail computer system.[3]
They are available for desktop computer, notebook (see barebook) and server purposes, and in nearly any form factor.
Manufacturers are also able to produce systems of a specialized or non-standard form factor, since the system is sold as a pre-built unit, with the motherboard and power supply already installed
[…]
Assembling a barebone computer by hand is usually less expensive than buying a pre-configured computer from a retailer, and may save time and labor compared with building a system from scratch.
A typical barebone desktop system consists of a CPU, a computer case (or tower), with a pre-fitted motherboard and power supply.
If not already provided, the purchaser of such a platform only has to equip it with a RAM, and optionally a hard drive (in some cases, an operating system is/can be installed to a lower-cost flash drive instead). Additional input/output devices may be required depending on their needs. […]

(Barebone computer - Wikipedia )

E.g. here:.

Just search the net for “barebone [mini] PC without OS” or something to that effect.

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

P.S.:

I just saw I added a “slightly_frowning_face” instead of a “slightly_smiling_face” as an emoticon.
That was by mistake of course. I just changed it.
Sorry for th mishap.

1 Like

@7blade

Thanks for the feedback … in these days about AMD what should be the minimum requeriments? I mean, If for intel etiher i7 or i9 should be as minimum either 12th or 13th generation what is the equivalent for AMD Ryzen?

@Rosika

Thanks for the “barebone” feedback. I used to take that approach in 2005 and 2008 when I assembled my two old PC Desktops … now for laptops is not possible … is mandatory do a research on Amazon for example and select the best set of hardware. I though the same for Mini-PC

Thanks for the 2nd link … interesting the approach about Mini-PC + Barebone. But I must do the buy according the complete set of hardware features. I don’t live in USA

1 Like

This may help.

1 Like

Yep got a Ryzen 5 one with 16GB of Ram, 512GB M.2. Had Windows 10 on it, it has Linux Mint 21.2 Xfce 4.18.4, running 6.2.0-36 Generic Kernel. It is my Media PC for the lounge, as do not watch live TV anymore. They are brilliant devices. Have a wireless miniature keyboard to run on it, picking out films in Popcorn-Time, don’t use Netflix anymore. I’m hoping to get some more of these, to save on power running my big desktop all the time.

4 Likes

5 yrs ago I bought a miniPC direct from a Chinese on-line supplier . It has a 2 core Intel i7 CPU running up to 3000 MHz and has 8GB RAM and is fanless hence completely silent .It came with a Chinese version of Windows 7 and needs 12V-DC power. The unit came with 2 WiFi antennas (2.4GHz)
After erasing the 250 GB SSD with an external USB stick containing Gparted, I installed Linux Mint (current version is 21.2)
I am very satisfied with this mini-PC.
Note ; the 12V-DC supply enables power from a battery or any suitable 12V-DC power supply unit . The mini-PC came with a switch mode power supply unit , to suit 120 -240 V AC 50-60Hz

You can find these fanless mini-PC s on Aliexpress and Banggood. Make: ICY and others.
Frank in County Wicklow Ireland

3 Likes

I bought a bare bone desktop PC in 2010 with all loose components from the same UK supplier .It has a Gigabyte X58-USB3 Motherboard with first gen Intel i7 CPU with initially 6GB RAM later extended to 8GB.
The early HDD was 1.5TB which in 2015 was replaced by a 250GB SSD ,retaining the 1.5 TB HHD as a internal Data disk .
The PC is still running nicely ,currently with Linux Mint 21.2 (Victoria) .
It has 2 cooling fans ensuring a long equipment life.

Frank in County Wicklow -Ireland

2 Likes

Hi Manuel (@Manuel_Jordan),
I know it’s not what you’re looking for, but I found this PC on Amazon.es and I wanted to share the information with you because it might interest you.
The site only has 2 languages: Spanish and Portuguese, but you can use Google Translator to translate the site.

HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Desktop Mini USDT Intel Quad Core i5 256 GB SSD (used)

Jorge

1 Like

Thanks for the reply to all… valuable your feedback

1 Like

I just watched a machining video where this guy makes a aluminum enclosure very much like this one because he didnt like the plastic :wink: HAHH

Depending on what my project is, I now prefer to just get a board and make my own enclosure.

Look at System76. I have purchased several of their small form factor computers and am typing this on a new System76 Pangolin laptop. Admittedly, part of why I went with them is their awesome support which, as an occasional linux user, I depend on.

3 Likes

From what I’ve heard System76 is good stuff. I have not used it my self.

Just saw this and thought it looked cute. Especially if you’re a longtime Mac user.

2 Likes

Very cool. Seems like a whole new series of projects for a 3D printer.