Mint 22 now available

This guy really, really likes Linux Mint.

5 Likes

Not sure the new feature do anything for me, but i love mint.

Just downloaded and installed the lightweight version xfce and its fast on older technology runs ok on 2 gb memory happy bunny with that one

5 Likes

Good article. Mint is good stuff.

I still run Windows 10 on a 15+ year old Dell XPS tower. It runs great with less than the author in the article mentions for CPU (1st gen i7) and RAM (8GB). I did install SATA SSDs to help things along though. I dual boot it with Ubuntu 24.04.

1 Like

Installed it too. Up to date software, well up to date as far as Ubuntu goes. I’ve now moved to Cachy OS (Arch) for gaming. Still having some teething problems with screen tearing, but have figured it out I think. Must up the refresh rate of monitor. Linux Mint 22 as my daily drive and Cachy OS on my gaming PC, which had Windows on it. I’m not going back to Windows, going to stick to Linux.

3 Likes

I cant find much about CachyOS other than it is supposed to be fast and secure.
Can you give us a list of features that you like.?

2 Likes

Also know nothing on catchy Linux

Be interesting to learn more and why games on one but not the other

Been having nothing but problems with it, mostly screen tearing when recording my game play. So this is one of the reasons why the market share on Linux is so low, because of all the fiddling around to get anything to work. Ignore the above, though I don’t think it is Cachy OSes fault. It is fast, secure is any really secure? I record my games in 1440p resolution, because that gives the best picture. 4K is rubbish in my opinion, 8K is just terrible. I have a 2560x1440 resolution monitor and although in Linux Mint I am using 1920x1080, it is only because if I scale the display to 0.8 in the display settings, then I get 2048x1152 resolution, it is still classed as HD resolution, but do not want to have to use a different resolution to then have to upscale to 1440p when recording in OBS-Studio. Scaling and resolution problems have been the bane of my Linux journey. When I do tutorial videos or show off my Linux on YouTube, my base resolution is 1080p, as the screen is not doing much I record in OBS and upscale the video whilst recording to 1440p. Great when there is nothing on screen that is moving at stupid speeds and the video looks good, plus the viewer is able to see what I am doing, as 1080p is a big resolution, when it gets upscaled to 1440p, it is still huge for the viewer. I use everything FOSS to make my videos, from recording in OBS, then rendered in Kdenlive, which always comes out bigger than the original video, so I shrink the video down in Avidemux-qt, using NVIDIA H264 codec, that Avidemux-qt has inbuilt. Because H264 is widely used especially on YouTube, my videos are smaller and do not take long to upload, or for YouTube to render ready to watch. Arch is a strange beast, as saving NVIDIA settings, you have to open with sudo nvidia-settings
When saving settings instead of going into /etc/X11/xorg.conf Like it does in Debian, or Debian based Environments. It goes into
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf
On a Debian or Debian based system you do not have to open up NVIDIA settings in a Terminal. Problem is with NVIDIA drivers is saving the .conf file in Debian/Debian based Environments. It errors out saying have not permission, sometimes it says no such file to write to. So you have to save it manually. Within the save screen is a preview window of the proposed xorg.conf file that has all the settings that we the users of NVIDIA cards have all setup. Copy and paste it into xorg.conf document that you have to create yourself. Save it away, then pop it into /etc/X11/ Then make sure to save settings again in your hidden home folder .nvidia-settings-rc NVIDIA broke their driver settings, by again like it is all over the world, no one doing their job properly or wanting to take responsibility for their actions.

Anyway I am moving back to a Debian based system for gaming, as I love the fact that I have more control and not everyday having to update the system.

4 Likes

Thanks, that was interesting. You are way beyond me in the video area.
As I read it, a few things came to mind

• how much of the issues are nvidia drivers ot hardware. Have you ever tried
    an AMD GPU
  • this business of configuring xorg.conf is the old way of setting up X11. Today kernels have taken over setting of video modes, unless you disable it with the nomodeset kernel parameter.
  • how would you get on with Wayland. I know it is not quite there yet, but there are some distros that have it available to try. I have no idea how Wayland sets up video.
  • the Arch distro that I have tried is Artix. I did it to look at the S6 init system, not to
    fiddle with video. Artix is fast too. I think all Arch based distros will be cutdown and fast.
  • I understand you going back to Debian. It is easy for anyone used to the Debian family and it is clear of complicated things like snaps. If you want a really cut down Debian try Antix.

I cant really say much about video issues. I dont do video work.

3 Likes

https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/upgrade-to-mint-22.html

Perhaps a better place to go as its straight from the horses mouth !

2 Likes

So Mint has a special tool called mintupgrade
I assume it does inline upgrades, thus removing the need for a fresh install.
It apparently works for LMDE too.
Has anyone tried it?

1 Like

I triéd the lmde tool from 5 to 6 earlier this year and it failed. But at that stage did not have time to investigate further so just did a clean new install.

Dont forget lmde is not based on ubuntu so the upgrade cycle is around debian hence we are using lmde 6 on Debian Bookworm. I am not sure when the next upgrade to that is planned.

So there are differences between the lmde version to Ubuntu Noble. But for most users you would not see a great difference with the cinnamon desktop.

This guy is right! :slight_smile:

Imagine, every time you buy a new car you need to learn to drive again, because the steering wheel turns the opposite direction, the brake pedal is placed in a new position, just because it’s more trendy so…

These sentences in the article:

Notice anything? The newest version is prettier, but functionally they’re identical. In 2010, I was running Windows 7 on my Windows machine. Today, to my regret, I’m stuck with Windows 11. They don’t look or work alike.

Tells this. You don’t need to learn again how to drive, just get in and go.
Not like Windows, every edition has all the bells and whistles in a different place, just becaue…
But sometimes I feel Ubuntu is just the same in this regard (maybe I’m just getting old and slowly but surely loose my flexibility?)

The developers of Linux Mint represent principles I can accept the most happy and easily.
I’m loving Debian. But I’m also liking Linux Mint - especially the way of thinking behind it.

4 Likes

I have been a Mint user since 2019. And yes, I have perform the upgrade several times.
It has worked very well with few, if any problems.

5 Likes

Been using mint since 2009 so early stuff, originally prefered mate for look and feel but now lmde.

Although last week tried xfce and was very impressed with performance on 15 year old machine. Only thing i did not care for was editing the menu, each change needed verification which i believe is down to xfce rules

1 Like

I’m on Linux Mint as well (Edge Edition) and I haven’t received an update notification yet.

1 Like

I read on the Mint site that the upgrade option comes out about 2 to 3 weeks after the new release.

3 Likes

Is there much difference with edge ?
Not tried it

AFAIK it has more shiny-new firmwares and more recent kernel out of the box.
So it has a better chance to work well -without additional fiddling afte installation- on a shiny-new hardware, which just entered the market.
On an older (mature? :slight_smile: ) hardware it makes no difference. (Well, I believe so…)

3 Likes

It is very rare I see new machines except with windows and virus issues to remove.

I don’t install Linux on computer still under warranty in case maker will not repair hardware issues. Too easy to blame change of system for fault.

Hence waste hours on window system fixes where Linux would be quicker and more reliable

2 Likes

I’m using Wilma now Xfce version. Have done away with Pipewire. Bad move for Mint to do, as Pipewire is meant for using Jack, as in wiring your computer with external sound sources only, like mixers, speakers, amps and the like. All plugged in and used all the time. Because I am a bloke and I do not read instructions, just go in head, feet, knees, elbows, torso first. Yes I am an alien. They have instructions to remove Pipewire and go back to normal PulseAudio. It is using Ubuntu’s Kernel only 6.8.0-39-generic. It finally removes the green Linux Mint Splash Screen and boots much faster.

1 Like