More Information Please?

I’ve seen this so many times on forums, the only thing I can come up with is the general public or new members to the forum think we are robots and can see exactly what the problem is, by scanning our way through a screenshot, resulting in an instant answer for them.
How clearer can we make it to new members? There is already a in depth users log stating before asking your question please put in as much detail, or you may find the answer from other posts, who had the exact same query/question.

So here is a quick tip for everyone please put in as much detail in your question, don’t just post screenshots and expect an answer, as we are all only human, at least the last time I checked I was anyway.
We need to know the following
What make is your machine, Laptop or Desktop,
What are the specs of your machine?
By opening a Terminal in your Linux OS : type inxi -Fxz Push enter it will scan your computer, listing the specs of your computer, without any personal information. Copy and paste the info along with your question. It’ll look like this.

inxi -Fxz
System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-88-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2 Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: B450M Pro4 serial: <filter> 
  UEFI: American Megatrends v: P1.10 date: 06/19/2018 
CPU:
  Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen+ 
  rev: 2 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm 
  bogomips: 81439 
  Speed: 1376 MHz min/max: 1550/3400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1376 2: 1454 
  3: 1518 4: 1381 5: 1442 6: 1382 7: 1384 8: 1461 9: 1540 10: 1502 11: 1417 
  12: 1388 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER] vendor: PNY driver: nvidia 
  v: 470.63.01 bus ID: 23:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: nvidia resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2 
  v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.63.01 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 High Definition Audio vendor: PNY 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 23:00.1 
  Device-2: AMD Family 17h HD Audio vendor: ASRock driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 25:00.3 
  Device-3: JMTek LLC. type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid 
  bus ID: 1-6.3.3:6 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-88-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: ASRock driver: r8169 v: kernel port: f000 bus ID: 1f:00.0 
  IF: enp31s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 5.46 TiB used: 21.33 GiB (0.4%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: SanDisk model: SSD PLUS 2000GB size: 1.82 TiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Crucial model: CT2000BX500SSD1 size: 1.82 TiB 
  ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Samsung model: SSD 870 QVO 1TB size: 931.51 GiB 
  ID-4: /dev/sdd vendor: Crucial model: CT1000MX500SSD1 size: 931.51 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 915.40 GiB used: 21.32 GiB (2.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc2 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 32.4 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 33 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 38% 
Info:
  Processes: 266 Uptime: 1h 33m Memory: 15.63 GiB used: 1.60 GiB (10.2%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 
  inxi: 3.0.38

After pasting this with your question, highlight/select everything you have just pasted. Along the top toolbar is this button </> this pre-formats what you have just pasted and highlighted/selected into the style you see above with mine. This tells us enough info about your computer specs.

If you cannot get into your Linux OS whatsoever then most Motherboard BIOS’s actually do include a product info screen. Before grub comes up after switching on machine push either F2, F8, F11, F12. One of these will open your Motherboard BIOS.
The more information in your question, the more we will be able to help. Also don’t be put off if we don’t answer you straight away, as we are all human and have lives as well.

6 Likes

To be frank, the problem is not that some people think this or that about us or expect us to know everything or anything like that.
The real root cause of all these problems is actually extremely simple:
Those people do not think.

They see an issue, then go oogh, oogh, me see issue, go need fix issue, need fix issue, NOW!111!!!11!1!!1!!!1! and then go onto the first platform they get in their way and post it, waiting for others to fix their issue, without any information and without putting any effort in trying to find a solution themselves.
It’s like they wouldn’t even ever fix the issue, except when someone else would do it for them.

All this probably sounds harsh to some reading this, but this is the only pragmatic/realistic explanation that I can make sense of. Every other explanation I could think of does not make as much sense as this harsh, seemingly arrogant, one.[1][2]

My honest recommendation to anyone seeing such behaviour is to ignore it. Engaging and interacting with it in any way is an absolute waste of time – even an encouragement to some degree – and nobody with half a brain should waste their time on that. It’s just frustrating, angering, annoying and absolutely atrocious. It’s literally theft of human lifetime (why isn’t that considered a felony?).

One of my lifestyle choices is based on the principle of Karma. No, not the voodoo woowoo crap with religion in it, but my personal interpretation of it.
If you receive from someone, give back to that someone. Be the first to give and be the last to receive.

Therefore, if you see someone is truly putting effort in dealing with an issue, then help this person. This person deserves positive feedback, e.g. in the form of help.
If you see someone is putting as little effort as possible in dealing with an issue, then do not help. Do not encourage this faulty behaviour!

In such situations I usually remind myself of Louis’ uncle’s laptop, still sitting there, lonely and forgotten, somewhere in the backest part of a building, still waiting to be repaired, yet it will never happen…

That said, your example has shown me that I’m not the only one as annoyed and frustrated by such behaviour, even if I don’t engage with it, anymore. It’s just psychological cancer to see this being so “normal”.
Therefore, I will just preemptively close any thread, that has so little and so minimal amount of effort and information put in it, that we can pretty much all agree that nothing senseful could come out of it.

Of course, this does not include people’s threads, who actually put in effort but are missing information or knowledge. I am only talking about people, who obviously put close to 0 effort in doing anything to solve an issue, portrait a topic or talkg about anything specific or important in an extremely common sense-less manner.

[1] No, the “non-techie people simply do not understand/know” argument does not convince me, at all. Grasping the idea that every person is an individual having their own mind and not being able to telepathically understand a problem from a single sentence or picture has nothing to do with technical knowledge, but with being a normal person with common sense.

[2] The reason why I am so sure, that those people do not think does not only consist of the explanations above, but also of the fact, that these people are warned like a bajillion times, before opening the thread, that they should put in as much details as possible into their thread and describe the issue as detailed, as possible, etc. Yet, they choose to ignore it.
This is why I know they would do better, if they would actually put effort in opening the thread.

In every forum, issue tracker and all other discussion places I know of, whether it is Bugzilla, the Github Issue tracker, or our It’sFOSS forum; literally in all those places people are warned again and again, over and over again to portrait their issue/topic in the most detailed and understandable way possible. Why are there such warnings? Why are there so many? Why are some of them, seemingly, so harsh?
Because every single day that passes implicates a million people on earth shitposting, ignoring all warnings and still expecting help. That’s why.
This is the reason, why I am so sure, that such shitposts only are able to exist, when the creator of them strictly ignores all warnings and pleas for common sense, along the way, before the possibility to hit the “Create Topic” button appears.

Example from the RClone Forum

4 Likes

This is the truth.

That’s why I always insist on people putting their questions in proper sentences. Doing that requires at least a minimal thought process.

5 Likes

Theoretically I do highly agree. In practice, I would ask more info, if I intended to take the time to try to help. Or just look for a different busyness :slight_smile:
I understand, a less experienced computer owner does not necessary know, how to ask for help at all… WE need to teach him/her, and asking for more info is a way…
What I’m really fed up with is, using a teenage slang, like “pls need ur help”, and/or sentences without any punctuation.
Not being a native english speaker (khhmmm… reader :slight_smile: ), I can’t even judge where a sentence ends, and where the new sentence begins.
Putting commas in the wrong (or right?) place can make a sentence to mean the opposite…

As far as I know, the most famous example of this is an answer from “John of Meran” (archbishop from Esztergom around the year of 1213), when conspirators asked him about his opinion about killing queen Gertrudis, and he wrote the answer like this:
REGINAM OCCIDERE BONUM EST TIMERE NOLITE ET SI OMNES CONSENSERINT EGO NON CONTRADICO.
This is latin but in hungarian this is ingeniously ambigous!
Put the punctuations into it like this:
REGINAM OCCIDERE BONUM EST TIMERE, NOLITE. ET SI OMNES CONSENSERINT, EGO NON. CONTRADICO.
And voilá, it means totally the opposite of what the conspirators understood of it, and this ingenious ambiguity saved the life of John, when later the conspirators got arrested…

Translating this to english is way above my knowledge, but found an english example:

Versus:

All I want to say is, punctuation is extremely important, if some wants to be unambigous!

Looking at the above screenshot it yells about a dying hdd, or a very bad cable between HDD and motherboard.

2 Likes

I’m frustrated, because I or anybody else here might of been able to of helped. This forum is a community of Linux users who like to help people, but not giving enough info in the first place ruined it and they ruined it for themselves. I answered the two that were posted, just to ask if they could provide further info? We got this a lot on Peppermint Forums too. Ignorance, possibly? It could also be possible that the above picture I used in original post, might of just been uploaded from a picture in Google Images? Originally I downloaded it from the original poster, that sparked me. After seeing two posts yesterday, (British Time Just Gone Midnight Into Tuesday Now :grinning:) that had no context or meaning whatsoever, sparked my interest into writing the above in the first place.
Is it me getting old? Is it me going senile, thinking that this generation we live in are aliens? I’m only forty nine for God sake and already sound like Victor Meldrew. Meldrew is in the Dictionary meaning grumpy old man.

It’s because of lack of understanding maybe? This Forum goes out in all languages though doesn’t it?

1 Like

Wow you got that from looking at the very bad picture?

My policy is - if all you can do is post a photo of your screen you took with your phone - I will IGNORE your post…

and on top of that Raster / Bitmap screenshots really REALLY cheese me off too…

I have colleagues who do this all the time - and I remind them - if your output / diagnostics, in a terminal, are TEXT, then F–KING WELL PASTE TEXT… and I am f–king lazy, so I prefer to copy+paste, over re-typing stuff that should have been pasted as text NOT bitmap!

I understand that’s not possible if your machine won’t even boot… but if you want help - please take the time to type out some of the errors to you’re seeing - to save others having to act as OCR bots… Me? I won’t do it… After hours my customers pay somewhere upwards of $200 per hour, or part thereof, for my blood, sweat, and tears… :smiley: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Yes, the first string my eye could catch is like “failed command: WRITE FPDMA QUEUED”, which means communication error on between the drive and the motherboard.
Without analyzing it more, my first suspected would be the cable between the drive and MOBO. It’s not sure of course, the culprit can be the drive itself too…
In which post is this picture originally, I seem to overlook it…

1 Like

It was this one It’s been closed now

1 Like

Ron White told us ‘you can’t fix stupid.’ And this kind of complaint shows us that stupid is still surrounding us.

1 Like

I love the following quote and use it all the time:

3 Likes

its like the world like owes them a living like and like they dont even like your posts like cos that would mean like they have to make an effort like :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Ah, I see, thanks.
Indeed, there was not too much effort put in asking that question :smiley:

I really don’t like this calling people “stupid” because I don’t necessarily assume that I’m much smarter than other people. I’m just lucky to have learned about the importance of proper communication at some point in my life.

4 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Unable to log into Ubuntu 18.04 LTS after Reinstall

[quote][quote=“Akito, post:2, topic:7727”]
The real root cause of all these problems is actually extremely simple:

Those people do not think.
[/quote]

This is the truth.

That’s why I always insist on people putting their questions in proper sentences. Doing that requires at least a minimal thought process.[/quote]

they aren’t idiots, just poorly educated and raised, probably raised by ‘iphone’
the problem is…
need a wikipedia type of free database for everyone that has all the answers AND all the questions, so that you not only can go there and look, but if you search it will be the top result
so, when you get that working, then you can complain ;#)

frustration makes people irrational

carlin was correct, but not right

Technology is best when it brings people together .Technology Improves Teaching for the Next Generation and improving your well knowledge. Technology systematic base details are available in this site to get more details here to click this.

1 Like