Moving bootable device from hdd to ssd

How i can move my bootable device from hdd to ssd in acer laptop.???

Can anyone help me out

are you saying you want to transfer your installation in its entirety from the hdd to ssd? also, your tag says this is for windows 10. is that the operating system you are trying to transfer?

2 Likes

Yes i am using windows 10 , and in bios config i can only see my hdd as bootable device i dont have any option to select my ssd, in which i have installed my OS

2 Likes

I tried just by copying the whole HD to the SSD, but that didin’t work. I didn’t try to use clonezilla which I believe would have worked. Maybe would have needed to change the boot flag on the SSD partition.

BTW 01101111 = 111 what is the significance?

1 Like

more information will be helpful to try and get you where you want to be. what is installed on the hdd? where is windows 10 installed? what is installed on the ssd? did you install a linux distribution that you now can’t boot into?

please try to provide more information about where you started (presumably with windows 10 installed somewhere) and the process that got you to the present point where you are having trouble.

2 Likes

not sure what conversion you are using. binary to ascii? or binary-ception? :nerd_face:

I have only this option (as shown in image) as bootable device which is hdd0 and i want to make hdd1 WDC as my bootable device. And also when i start my computer acer sceen comes and then goes off and again it comes for 2nd time and then after that ita starts

This toshiba drive is hdd0

This the system configuration of hdd and ssd

1 Like

those images and beginning of an explanation are helpful, but you still haven’t provided answers to most of these questions:

so that it is still impossible to know what is installed on hdd0 (toshiba/hdd - i am guessing windows 10, but need you to answer so that guessing isn’t necessary) and what is installed on hdd1 (wdc/ssd - i am guessing some linux distro, but see above) and how you got to where you are now if i (or anyone else i think) am going to be able to try and help you boot into the ssd.

3 Likes

Windows is installed on ssd but when i start my computer it first shows the acer screen then it goes off and then 2nd time acer screen comes up and after that my system starts…
And i dont have linux installed in my system… i just want to make wdc as my windows boot manager…
Also when i tried to install the complete OS from usb (Mbr type iso) it doesn’t shows up in boot configuration in bios

i’m not trying to be untoward or even saying i won’t try and help, but this sounds like a question for a windows forum as i’m not sure what your questions have to do with foss (free/open source software - which windows/bios settings are not).

that being said, your first image shows you booting in uefi mode and

mbr type is not uefi. you might be able to boot into that ssd if you switch boot mode to either “legacy” or “both” (if your system allows it). another option (preferable in my opinion, but the choice is obviously yours) would to be try installing the the ssd in uefi mode.

2 Likes

I dont have any option other than uefi

some computers don’t. on mine, when that line (Boot Mode: [UEFI]) is highlighted as it appears to be in your image, i have to press the enter key to be presented with other options.

if you truly have no other options, your computer will most likely not boot into an ssd written in legacy (mbr type) mode as it does not know how to start the process of loading windows. at that point you either have to install in uefi mode or not use the ssd. there is no hack or workaround (that i know of - again, coming from someone who used linux 99% of the time so i may be wrong) to get a purely uefi system to read a legacy install.

if you feel you simply must use that ssd in legacy mode, more qualified help (though there are some more frequent windows users here) help would probably be found on a windows-focused help forum.

1 Like

I truly dont have any other option than uefi

Put your SSD into your computer, use DDRescue as described. Then remove the HDD, and boot the computer anew. Just make sure the source drive is smaller than its successor, or precisely the same size, being not a byte bigger.

2 Likes

my guess would be that the ssd is smaller than the hdd.

1 Like

If you have a really old HDD (500GB) and a very new SSD (512GB), like I do, you might run into issues. :laughing:

Is this a Laptop with W10 or a Desktop PC? I see it is an Acer Laptop!!! The problem with Laptops, is that only one drive will run at one time. Make sure the HDD is virus and malware free, use disk cleanup to remove what you can. Use disk management to see if the drive can be shrunk. Download and install the free copy of either Easeus Todo Backup or Aoemi Backupper. Use either one to do a system image of the HDD to an external drive, and make a Linux bootable CD or USB drive. Install the unformatted SSD into the Laptop, make sure the external drive is plugged in, with the HDD system image. Boot the Laptop with the CD and restore the system image to the SSD. If you could run the HDD and SSD then you could just simply clone the drives, but this is kind of hard to do with a Laptop.

@4dandl4 This is what has been said.

Hi @nr9802, there is a free copy / restore program that works great for Windows. It even has a standalone (boot-able) option if needed. I used it hundeds of times. And yes, it can backup your HDD and restore it to a SSD. Check it out here;

2 Likes