My new AMD video card

Its called redshift. I use that.
Not the same… redshift makes everything an orange/red tone.,
I have a strong magenta/pink
Just to be sure I will turn redshift off.
Thanks Bill

@nevj
You might be surprised!! Remember back when we were working the Nvidia issue, and I installed the Nvidia 390 driver for my GT620. That driver worked much better than the Nouveau driver, only trouble was, the 390 driver was unsupported by both Gentoo and Arch and every time the kernel was updated I had to reinstall the 390 driver.
All I am saying is that it might be worth a try.

Oh yeah,
I am not dismissing drivers . Just want to look at boot parameters first. It could be as simple as needing to do update-grub. Grub might change the kernel boot parameters when the new card is present. Or I might have to set them by hand. The pink screen during boot is the clue. Maybe it is mixing up CMY with RGB. the pink is definitely magenta. The pink background during boot should be black, not magenta.

1 Like

I “recently” (maybe April / May) switched from an NVidia GTX1650 “Super” to an AMD…

inxi -Fxz output :

Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600/6600 XT/6600M] vendor: Sapphire
    driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus-ID: 2f:00.

Most expensive GPU card I’ve ever shelled out money for… 8 GB DDR5…

When I first did it - it was a complete swapperoony operation, remove the NVidia (which had been using proprietary drivers), install the AMD and boot - and Ubuntu (22.04) worked perfectly. Having said that - I did quite soon after that rebuild, several times, trying Fedora and others, but, I’m back at Ubuntu 22.04 again.

Note: I’m somewhat disappointed with the AMD vs the NVidia, only because with the Proprietary drivers, I could install NVidia control centre, and use Xinerama, where I could actually SPAN my display across ALL my monitors, and this would work in games too… With AMD (using Open Source drivers) I can have (on this card) up to 4 monitors - i.e. 3 x DisplayPort and 1 x HDMI - but it was a bit flaky - I’m now only running two monitors, both 32" QHD, one’s a gaming class (170 Hz) and one’s a non-gaming one (60 Hz) it mostly works fine that way (I’m using the “extra” 32" gaming monitors on each of my MacBooks).

I can’t really say if gaming performance was improved by going to AMD.

Mine was not expensive. $250. I was not chasing gaming performance, just wanted to get away from nvidias lack of support
for older cards.

Your RX 6600 worked out of the box with Ubuntu.
My RX 6400 worked with Debian and Devuan

The only thing wrong in Solus and Void is the pink (actually magenta) .
The card works… ie X11 runs and displays correctly with no defects or hangups. Nothing flaky. I can use Solus and Void wuth that card.

I dont have your dual monitor setup… it is a single monitor card with 4Gb of ddr4 ram. That is more than enough for me. My motherboard has a PCie3 slot, the card is PCie4… that is OK, I checked, it just wont drive the card quite as fast.

I think you should persist with AMD card. They will get better… more $$ but at least you know it will always be supported. The drivers will always be there abd will work with any new kernel.
I am not happy with nvidia failing to support older cards for the new kernels.

Actually - what I forgot to mention in my previous reply was that despite this GPU being RayTrace (i.e. in realtime) capable, the Open Source drivers still DO NOT support RayTracing on AMD - if I wanted to hack around a bit - there are hacks, to enable it - but I’m not game… I’ll wait… I might have to upgrade to non-LTS releases of Ubuntu - but that’s fine…

Bizarre that it’s taken 30 years to get “real time” raytracing. I used to do a fair bit of it using POVray in the early 1990’s - you could wait an hour, two hours, longer even, for some complex scenes to complete. Around that time we (at work) got a dual RISC UNIX machine (DG-UX AViiON) and compiled the POVray source - and I don’t remember the benchmarks, but rendering (to disk) in UNIX on those RISC CPU’s (I don’t know if POVray did SMP back then) was an order of magnitude faster than on a 386 (with no math coprocessor unlike on a 486DX - I’m pretty sure it was still considerably faster than on the 486DX2-66 I got the following year).

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 2
4 [Radeon RX 6400 / 6500 XT] (rev c7)
03:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 21/23 HDMI/DP 
Audio Controller

I downloaded it and installed it in Debian.
Did not seem to do much… all the .ko files still have the same date so it didnt download any new modules.
It put a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d called amdgpu-proprietary.list
it contains

# Enabling this repository requires acceptance of the following license:
# /usr/share/amdgpu-install/AMDGPUPROEULA
#deb https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu/5.4.1/ubuntu focal proprietary

I have no idea what that means.

My lsmod has the following

$ lsmod | grep amd
amdgpu               6713344  0
gpu_sched              49152  1 amdgpu
ttm                   114688  3 drm_vram_helper,amdgpu,drm_ttm_helper
drm_kms_helper        278528  2 drm_vram_helper,amdgpu
i2c_algo_bit           16384  1 amdgpu
drm                   626688  6 gpu_sched,drm_kms_helper,drm_vram_helper,amdgpu,drm_ttm_helper,ttm

but they were all there before I installed the .deb file.
I put amdgpu in /etc/modules .

I dont think Debian is using the graphics card fully, I think it is just running in VGA mode. How can I tell?

What are the specs of your monitor? What resolution are you running? Not that it’s much help - I remembered even VGA is FHD capable (I have an 11 year old HDMI and VGA monitor that does FHD - I don’t use it - it’s a “spare”).

Maybe try glxgears or something? I’m sure there’s something in the GLX programs that will tell you if you’re getting HW 3D acceleration…

My Ubuntu 22.04 OSS AMD GPU drivers (discrete dedicated GPU):

╭─x@titan ~  
╰─➤  lsmod | grep amd
edac_mce_amd           36864  0
amdgpu               9859072  295
kvm_amd               155648  0
ccp                   102400  1 kvm_amd
kvm                  1028096  1 kvm_amd
iommu_v2               24576  1 amdgpu
gpu_sched              45056  1 amdgpu
drm_ttm_helper         16384  1 amdgpu
ttm                    86016  2 amdgpu,drm_ttm_helper
drm_kms_helper        311296  1 amdgpu
drm                   622592  28 gpu_sched,drm_kms_helper,amdgpu,drm_ttm_helper,ttm

Some of those values are probably related to my CPU which is also AMD

Ubuntu 22.10 OSS AMD GPU drviers (vega8 - i.e. an APU on the CPU die - Thinkpad E495) :

╭─x@fenrix ~/.config  
╰─➤  lsmod |grep amd
snd_sof_amd_renoir     16384  0
snd_sof_amd_acp        40960  1 snd_sof_amd_renoir
snd_sof_pci            24576  1 snd_sof_amd_renoir
snd_sof               204800  3 snd_sof_amd_acp,snd_sof_pci,snd_sof_amd_renoir
edac_mce_amd           36864  0
kvm_amd               167936  0
snd_pcm               155648  12 snd_sof_amd_acp,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_pci_acp6x,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_sof,snd_compress,snd_soc_core,snd_sof_utils,snd_hda_core,snd_pci_ps,snd_pcm_dmaengine
kvm                  1138688  1 kvm_amd
snd_acp_config         16384  3 snd_rn_pci_acp3x,snd_acp_pci,snd_sof_amd_renoir
snd_soc_acpi           16384  2 snd_acp_config,snd_sof_amd_renoir
ccp                   110592  1 kvm_amd
amdgpu              11300864  36
iommu_v2               24576  1 amdgpu
gpu_sched              49152  1 amdgpu
drm_ttm_helper         16384  1 amdgpu
ttm                    98304  2 amdgpu,drm_ttm_helper
drm_display_helper    184320  1 amdgpu
drm_kms_helper        200704  4 drm_display_helper,amdgpu
drm                   585728  19 gpu_sched,drm_kms_helper,drm_display_helper,thinkpad_acpi,amdgpu,drm_ttm_helper,ttm

Some of those values are probably related to my CPU which is also AMD

Its an ASUS 24in monitor. 1920 x 1080. Thats what it says in the Debian settings.

There are drivers under radeon too. Are they relevant? I did not load them … I copied Solus which had only the amdgpu stuff.

drm_display_helper doesnt exist in Debian

I added iommu_v2 module to Debian.
That seems to help. It was sometimes failing to boot. That may now be fixed… will see… famous last words

It is strange , Void loaded all these modules automatically… In Debian I had to add them by hand. Debian doesnt have the black=pink problem, Void does.

Regression bugs are pretty much an every day occurrence, especially in complex source, like the one of Linux.

This means, that it’s not unlikely, that a newer patch revives an old, originally fixed, bug or simply introduces a new one, which makes parts, which worked in a previous version, stop working.

Nothing unusual.

Congratulations!

Okay, then the price wasn’t that good, but it wasn’t a disaster, either.

@daniel.m.tripp , @Akito , @daniel.m.tripp , @4dandl4 , @berninghausen .

Thanks to you all for the input.
I have a partial solution.
I have discovered that if I use the displayport outout from the amd graphics card instead of the hdmi port, the " black=pink" problem in Void and Solus completely disappears. Everything is back to normal.

That leaves Debian and Devuan. They never had the pink problem, but they both have intermittant failure to boot… the screen goes blank and says “no hdmi signal”.
In Debian and Devuan I had to load the driver modules required for the amd graphics card (that is different, Void and Solus loaded them automatically).
So I made entries in /etc/modules. There was nothing to tell me which modules to load, I guessed by looking at what Void and Solus loaded.
It may be the intermittant boot failure is due to

• my guess of what to load being wrong
  • I loaded the right modules but they are out of date or buggy or both
  • something else

So that leaves me with a computer that works always with Void and Solus, and sometimes with Debian and Devuan. It does seem to display things fast when it works. I think it is using the amd software and not just running in vga mode.

Thanks
Neville

1 Like

We now have it the other way round. The old outofdate Debian has the bug, the new rolling releases do not. I am more comfortable with that.

Not worried if the price was a bargain or not. Those were $A. and it was local. I could have imported it for less.
Maybe should have thought about an older secondhand amd card.
I could still do that if stuck.

Not surprising to me.
I remember raytracing one static scene on a Sun workstation. It took days.
You want it on the fly in a movie. Wow, that was not even thought of 20 years ago.

I did some stuff called photometric stereo You image an object several times with the light source in different positions, then you use the changes in shading as you move the light source to determine the 3d shape of the object. Sort of like ray tracing in reverse, only you dont trace rays you solve equations, which is easier.

Give raytracing a try. Todays hardware solves most of the compute issues.

Does your card and monitor have DVI ports, if so try a DVI cable.

HDMI & DisplayPort are way superior. Most of the time, one should resort to DisplayPort.

1 Like

My old nvidia card had hdmi and dvi
The new amd card has hdmi and Displayport.
I used a displayport to hdmi adaptor, so the monitor still received hdmi.

@Akito
That maybe true but DVI has always worked better for me, when using Linux.

Neville, I’m almost embarrassed to say it, but my small form factor Compaq/HP office machine with 2 Pentium processors and Intel graphics loads and operates almost all of the distros I’ve used with perfect color. Maybe going the way of the tightwad has some merit after all.

@berninghausen ,
I have an SFF Dell, bought secondhand, with onboard intel graphics.
Like yours it runs all distros with no display issues.
Linux works best with old hardware, except if it is nvidia hardware.

If I were buying a new main computer, I would get a motherboard with onboard Intel graphics. I just dont need sophisticated graphics so a graphics card is an overkill and a maintenance headache

I tried the redshift idea. Nice idea, but it was not the answer this time

BTW Intel also make graphics cards. They only have expensive high performance models.

Regards
Neville