Nero DiscSpeed: Another chain tying me to Windows

@cordx It is in ProgramFiles (x86), under Nero -> Nero 11 -> DiscSpeed.exe

While you’re at it, would it make a difference using PlayonLinux? It is just a front end, but it may do other things to get it right.

@cliffsloane Considering the amount of work you already put into this, I don’t see much against trying it out, at least.

after @ElectricDandySlider mentioned playonlinux, i wondered the same thing. full disclaimer: i am no wine (and by extension playonlinux) expert. i have only tinkered with wine a few times in the past. i just thought it would be interesting to see. a fun puzzle :slight_smile: that being said, neither version (wine alone or playonlinux with wine) worked for me at all. under both circumstances add/remove programs shows that it is installed:

Screenshot%20at%202019-02-12%2018-04-37

but the exe does not exist in system32:

Screenshot%20at%202019-02-12%2017-24-29

as well as no entries in program files (x86):

Screenshot%20at%202019-02-12%2018-12-42

it has been a while since i spent any time in windows. those are the only places i could recall to try and launch from. if you can think of anything else, feel free to let me know.

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming
C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files (x86)
C:\ProgramData

got my hopes up. programdata actually has a nero folder. it just happens to be empty.

should have finished that thought. neither program files or (x86) had anything other than ms and common files, but thanks for the options.

I added 2 possible locations.

Where the Wild Files Are.

also good options. users was one of the first folders i dug through when i realized there was no (easily) discernible icon or exe to double click. if not for the entry in add/remove and the one folder in programdata, i don’t see any evidence that nero is there at all. there is a temp folder with some nero-related msi files, but it just doesn’t appear that they get built.

it was a longshot to begin with i think since winehq has little to say about playing nice with any particular iteration of nero, but worth a look i think.

unfortunately none of those exist in the windows subsystem that wine builds.

@cliffsloane I have some advanced try you could execute. I don’t know if it would work, but it’s definitely way better than anything we have right now to solve this issue.

Get this.

I hope this is not only included in the Pro version, that I know to be able to use it the way I propose:
Install Nero DiscSpeed on Windows within a virtual environment ( I personally usually use the Comodo Containment for testing something of this kind ) through Revo Uninstaller which will track all files that Nero is installing. Then pack all the files into a .zip, transfer said .zip into your wine environment, extract the .zip, emulating the install locations from your actual Windows and then run DiscSpeed.exe, or whichever is the correct one.

P.S.: I would use your old DiscSpeed version, not the newest one, because a lot of software has become incompatible with the newest Windows versions and most new software that works on the newest Windows version has a lot of trouble or does not work on older Windows versions, at all. As far as I know, Wine relies on simulating a relatively old Windows type of environment.

P.P.S.: If you want to make this approach even more advanced but also even more tedious, then you can do the whole procedure within a VM containing Windows XP.

If all that still does not work, I would check out how Wine actually works and what people do to make software work on it. Again, tedious, but I think it is worth it, especially because it apparently seems like there is currently no known Linux alternative to this software with its capabilities.

this was my next thought.

Best idea so far! I still have old XP discs with a valid key, as though that would be an issue.

@Akito, any idea is to be compared to plain ole dual booting, which is guaranteed to work (mostly) perfectly.
But the VirtualBox idea may be the one to try.

No need to waste valid keys in a VM.

Do you mean just using VB to install it normally or still trying to do the Wine thing? The annoying thing with VMs is the unnecessary overhead.

I’m thinking of a VM running XP and then installing DiscSpeed in that. The simplest route, perhaps.

I have wasted too much time tinkering with WINE to think of that as an option. Either a dual-boot or a VM would be far easier.

Okay, well, I thought this wasn’t the goal, because that could’ve been done in the first place. :sweat_smile:

“The first place” is that I just can’t get away from Windows if I want to use DiscSpeed. And lo! that is exactly what this whole discussion has verified.

before you mentioned xp, i was wondering if a new copy of 7 or 8 would have to be purchased to work the vm angle. xp is a great workaround.

There is probably a way to make it work, it’s just tedious to do so.