No sound device recognized by Ubuntu

Occasionally my sound goes off and when I look at “Settings - Sound” there is NO device Listed.

This happened several months ago and after trying several things it eventually came back on but not sure what I did to correct it.

A terminal inquiry and I receive this info so there is a sound device but indicates access denied under capabilities. How do I fix this?

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 34
Memory at f7f00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities:
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel

1 Like

any luck with the alsamixer command?

I used to get the same problem with a new Lenovo X1 Carbon laptop. The solution was to run ‘sudo alsa force-reload’. After updating the kernel the problem went away. So I’d suggest doing a kernel update, too.

1 Like

Try Like This!
Go to the Bios Setup and disable the option that says to use speaker and re-enable it! and boot
Hope it recognizes now!

I could not find anything in the BIOS for a speaker choice. Please advise.

1 Like

This did not work…will keep trying

1 Like

That did not work. I could adjust and make changes but Ubuntu is still not showing any sound device in my settings.

What if I downloaded another version of Ubuntu 18.04 and reinstalled it?

Would it be better if I installed Ubuntu from a disk?

1 Like

a fresh install is always an option to see if it might help. i would pass along the same suggestion to you that i have seen others share many times: make a live usb to try everything out on first. use that exclusively for at least a few days to try and make sure it is as functional as you want it to be. that way you won’t go through an entire install only to be faced with the same issue.

i’m not sure exactly what your last question means. are you asking if it would be better to install from a dvd rather than a usb?

one last thought/question: is your sound still intermittent? if it is, it might be possible to look at your log files to see what changes between when it works and when it stops. of course, you can absolutely do the fresh install if you are done trying things that might not work :slight_smile: just trying to add another option.

How do I make a live USB? Not sure what that is though I have heard of it. Down load the software onto a USB drive then what do I do then???

Also not able to download to a CD/DVD either as that is not working as well.

Usually I just watch a YouTube video but again my sound is off.

Thanks

1 Like

which version of ubuntu are you using?

my version of Ubuntu is 18.04

this is a really good and clear tutorial about how to make a bootable usb. i suggest sticking with 18.04 (now 18.04.1) when it comes time to download (instead of 18.10). to answer one of your earlier questions, you will leave the ubuntu file (an .iso file) in the downloads folder (or whatever folder you choose when downloading). the startup disk creator has to write that file to the usb in a certain way to make it a bootable usb. let me know if you have any questions :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for your assistance. I have learned much from this issue. I ended up choosing the Kubuntu flavor and saved the ISO file on my 1 TB portable hardrive I use to store all my files. So of course I saved all my files to my other Lenovo laptop as it would not let me have them on the hardrive.

I really like the Kubuntu flavor and the sound and wifi/ethernet are working great.

I need to do the same thing to my Lenovo as it was having the same problems with no sound and Ethernet issues. In fact I really messed that one up when I was trying different things in the terminal that it completely would not let me connect to the internet by wifi or ethernet.

But now I don’t have a USB big enough to transfer my files from the Lenovo to the Toshiba.
The 1 TB hardrive is now only readable because the ISO file formatted that way. (didn’t realize)

Can I reformat the hardrive (erase the IOS), transfer my files to the hardrive to x-fer to the Toshiba, then download the IOS file again to the hardrive, then add the Kubuntu to the Lenovo then I will have two laptops working???

…or can I connect the two laptops with an HDMI cable to transfer my files to the Toshiba??

Hope you can follow that! lol…or what would you suggest? I usually just Youtube all this stuff but there is too much info there and that was what messed up my Lenovo following some of that advice.

Trying not to spend money on another USB/hardrive…(or I could borrow someones as well)

The Lenovo has an Intel Core i7 were as the Toshiba only has the Core i3 so that is the one I want to use. I know I know…I should have done that one first…but I was testing the whole thing on the older laptop first.

I really appreciate your assistance! You are awesome!! (Yes, I am buttering you up!!!)

1 Like

so very glad you moved your files beforehand and that you found a flavor that works well for you :slight_smile: now that i know you have a large capacity external drive, i would recommend considering some kind of backup program for cases like you mentioned when trying something in the terminal that might or might not have the desired effect. i learned about Timeshift from an article on itsfoss.com (link below) and it has served me well.

i think i was a little dismayed the first time that i created a live usb by the fact that it did get changed to read-only. luckily the guide i used mentioned that fact and how to fix that later if necessary. again, super glad you understood that beforehand and put your files on the lenovo.

all of that being said, yes, you can definitely reformat, move files, then create another live usb to switch your lenovo over to kubuntu. are you familiar with disk partitioning tools (what you would need to reformat the disk)?

hdmi cables (i wasn’t sure so i did a search just to make sure) are only used to transmit video and audio, but that is a good idea :slight_smile: there are what are called crossover cables which can be used like that. they are similar to regular ethernet cables, but one end is different to allow them transfer information like you suggested. most people don’t have these lying however so no need to buy anything extra. mostly just meant to say that your cable idea was feasible by other means.

if both laptops are on the same wifi network, you should be able to transfer anything you need that way. i haven’t had any practical experience with this in linux since i have a couple usb drives lying around and just never needed to figure it out… then i read back over what you wrote about the lenovo not having any connection so scratch that for now :slight_smile:

then you will definitely have to stick to using your usb (unless you can borrow one). partitioning the hard drive so you can use it to transfer files again is fairly straightforward, but i don’t know your level of comfort with the process like i said before. feel free to stop back in with any questions.

it’s totally understandable that you fixed the toshiba before the lenovo. in my experience, that is how we learn. one of the great things about linux being free is that we can always just download it again and give it (or a different flavor) another go :slight_smile:

1 Like

I finally moved all my files from the Lenovo to the Toshiba using another USB drive. I then downloaded Kubuntu to the Lenovo.

Now I need to reformat my 1 TB external hardrive. I have not done this before and have found a few different videos on Youtube but still not clear as some of the directions didn’t match with what my laptop offered.

What do you suggest?

Thanks!

Since this is kind of a different topic than the one the thread was opened for, I suggest you open a new thread and then more people can engage and help you.