No sound from dvd player only

I did a fresh install of kubuntu 22.04 on my daughter’s old laptop yesterday. Everything works great except there is no sound from the cd/dvd player. System recognizes the device and there is sound in everything else (browser videos, system sounds, etc.) but even though the dvd plays, no audio. I have looked at everything I can think of and used VLC, Kaffeine & SMPlayer with no change. This is an old Pentium N, 8 gb ram & I installed on a newly installed SSD to speed things up. Any help much appreciated.
UPDATE: I did the steps that Abhishek gave in this article: https://itsfoss.com/install-media-codecs-ubuntu/
but still no sound in Kaffeine, only perfect video. BUT in VLC, I was able to hear the video but total breakdown in video display, which kind of made the audio skip, but at least I heard it. This is strange.
2nd UPDATE: I plugged in external speakers in the headphone jack and audio worked perfectly. Even loaded a CD of music and it played well in SMPlayer. BUT still no sound in Kaffeine and VLC has sound but distorted image, choppy sound.

Welcome @Sheila_Flanagan ,
If you put a CD/DVD containing files in the player, can the computer read the files?
I am asking that , to try and identify if you have a dvd reading issue or a sound issue
Regards
Neville

Do you mean am I able to see the files/folders in the DVD once loaded? Yes. In fact at first I thought VLC was not working to load the disc so I browsed through it and could see the audio & video files.

Hi Shiela,
OK. That means the dvd player is working… the hardware is OK and it at least has drivers for a data cd.
You have also shown that your sound card is working… at least some apps can make sound

So if I had to guess, I would say you might be missing some codecs for dealing with audio input in your new system. Other people here know more about that than me, but I will make two guesses…

• you might look at how pulseaudio app is installed and configured
  • you might search the repository for audio codecs which are not installed

I have in the past observed that pulseaudio does not work until I bring up the volume control window and change some settings.

Apart from that, I think we wait for some more experienced audio help.

Regards
Neville

2 Likes

Can you check if libdvdcss2 is installed?
VLC (and many other DVD related software) need this library to decode CSS encoded “factory made” DVD’s.

2 Likes

Hi @Sheila_Flanagan, :wave:

what @nevj suggested could very well be the cause of the problem:

As it´s a Kubuntu setup you´re dealing with I´d suggest installing kubuntu-restricted-extras :

sudo apt udpate
sudo apt install kubuntu-restricted-extras

I ran the simulated installation command (my system is Linux Lite) and it came up with
quite a bundle to be installed:

env LANG=en_GB:en apt-get -s install kubuntu-restricted-extras
NOTE: This is only a simulation!
      apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
      Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
      so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
[...]
The following additional packages will be installed:
  [...]
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  catdoc chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra gstreamer1.0-libav
  gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly kubuntu-restricted-addons
  kubuntu-restricted-extras lame libappimage0 libavcodec-extra
  libavcodec-extra58 libflac++6v5 libfluidsynth3 libfreeaptx0 libgssdp-1.2-0
  libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0 libgupnp-1.2-1 libgupnp-igd-1.0-4
  libinstpatch-1.0-2 libk3b7 libk3b7-extracodecs libkf5cddb5
  libkf5filemetadata-bin libkf5filemetadata-data libkf5filemetadata3
  libldacbt-enc2 libltc11 libmagickcore-6.q16-6-extra libmjpegutils-2.1-0
  libmodplug1 libmpeg2encpp-2.1-0 libmplex2-2.1-0 libmusicbrainz5cc2v5
  libnice10 libopenh264-6 libopenni2-0 libsidplay1v5 libsoundtouch1
  libspandsp2 libsquashfuse0 libsrtp2-1 libvo-aacenc0 libvo-amrwbenc0
  libwildmidi2 libzbar0 timgm6mb-soundfont
[...]

No idea if it helps, but it´s worth a try. :wink:

A friend of mine once encountered the same problem. With her it actually was an issue of missig codecs.

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I checked and it is not. Where do I get it?

I updated my post to include that I found the article from Abhishek on this very issue and did install those, but nothing changed other than when I plug in speakers to the headphone jack. Thanks, Rosika.

1 Like

Hi @Sheila_Flanagan

I should be easy to install with

sudo apt update
sudo apt install libdvdcss2

Cheers from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks @Rosika
I wanted to post the output in terminal here in case it matters:

Note, selecting ‘libdvd-pkg’ instead of ‘libdvdcss2’
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libappstream-glib8 libflashrom1 libftdi1-2 libllvm13
Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
autoconf automake autopoint autotools-dev build-essential debhelper debugedit dh-autoreconf dh-strip-nondeterminism dpkg-dev dwz fakeroot g++ g+±11 gcc gcc-11
gettext intltool-debian libalgorithm-diff-perl libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl libalgorithm-merge-perl libarchive-cpio-perl libarchive-zip-perl libasan6 libc-dev-bin
libc-devtools libc6-dev libcc1-0 libcrypt-dev libdebhelper-perl libfakeroot libfile-stripnondeterminism-perl libgcc-11-dev libitm1 liblsan0 libltdl-dev
libmail-sendmail-perl libnsl-dev libsigsegv2 libstdc+±11-dev libsub-override-perl libsys-hostname-long-perl libtirpc-dev libtool libtsan0 libubsan1 linux-libc-dev
lto-disabled-list m4 make manpages-dev po-debconf rpcsvc-proto
Suggested packages:
autoconf-archive gnu-standards autoconf-doc dh-make debian-keyring g+±multilib g+±11-multilib gcc-11-doc gcc-multilib flex bison gcc-doc gcc-11-multilib
gcc-11-locales gettext-doc libasprintf-dev libgettextpo-dev glibc-doc libtool-doc libstdc+±11-doc gfortran | fortran95-compiler gcj-jdk m4-doc make-doc
libmail-box-perl
The following NEW packages will be installed:
autoconf automake autopoint autotools-dev build-essential debhelper debugedit dh-autoreconf dh-strip-nondeterminism dpkg-dev dwz fakeroot g++ g+±11 gcc gcc-11
gettext intltool-debian libalgorithm-diff-perl libalgorithm-diff-xs-perl libalgorithm-merge-perl libarchive-cpio-perl libarchive-zip-perl libasan6 libc-dev-bin
libc-devtools libc6-dev libcc1-0 libcrypt-dev libdebhelper-perl libdvd-pkg libfakeroot libfile-stripnondeterminism-perl libgcc-11-dev libitm1 liblsan0 libltdl-dev
libmail-sendmail-perl libnsl-dev libsigsegv2 libstdc+±11-dev libsub-override-perl libsys-hostname-long-perl libtirpc-dev libtool libtsan0 libubsan1 linux-libc-dev
lto-disabled-list m4 make manpages-dev po-debconf rpcsvc-proto

That sure generated a LOT of new packages to install. I will test it and report back.

Sheila Flanagan

2 Likes

Hey, everyone! The last step worked. I opened VLC, selected the DVD and the video was great, audio was great so thanks @ László Kovács and @Rosika. Another milestone in my education of Linux solutions. I would like to know why it still has no audio in Kaffeine but since VLC is the most used app for video playback, my daughter should be fine using it. She has never used anything but Windows but agreed to let me set up her old laptop so she would not need to buy a new one. Now it is working perfectly.

Sheila :grinning:

4 Likes

Hi Sheila, :wave:

great! :+1:

I´m glad it worked. Yes, @kovacslt pointed you in the right direction. Thanks to him from me as well.

Off the top of my head I´ve no idea. One would have to investigate.

The main thing is: vlc can now be put to good use regarding the playback of DVDs.
That´s some success after all. :wink:

Thanks for your feedback. :heart:

2 Likes

Hi @Sheila_Flanagan and Welcome to 'It’s Foss Community"
You might want to mark @Rosika suggestion as the solution to your problem.

Have a good day.
Howard

2 Likes

Thanks @easyt50 I did not even notice we had that button. Now I know.

3 Likes

Hi Sheila,
Do you mind if I just show you a better way to insert code in a reply?
There are several ways , but the one I find simplest is to
type ``` at the beginning of a line,
then copy/paste in the code
then end with another line with ``` at the beginning of a line.

Doing it that way stops any special characters from being interpreted as formatting.
Those 3 quotes are back sloping quotes, not the normal single quote

I looks like this when it is rendered

Note, selecting ‘libdvd-pkg’ instead of ‘libdvdcss2’
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libappstream-glib8 libflashrom1 libftdi1-2 libllvm13

No need to redo what you pasted, it is readable
This is just for the future.
Really glad you found a solution

Regards
Neville

4 Likes

@nevj I know nothing about code/markdown, etc. I think you are talking about the part you quoted above. But I copied the entire output in terminal and just pasted it into my post. Was there a better, more readable way vs copy/paste to show what happened when I tried the first command? Please advise as it’s all part of the learning.

Thanks so much,
Sheila

2 Likes

Hi Shiela,
I dont want to be pedantic.
What you did was readable… so its OK
All you needed to do , to get it to appear in a little separate box, was to put a line with a triple backquote before and after it
Yes that is using markdown.
Dont be frightened of markdown… it is very simple
There are other ways. You can use HTML. There you put <pre> before it and <\pre> after.
and I think there is some button at the top of the editor screen.

Regards
Neville

2 Likes

Awww, so you were talking about getting it offset in a separate box (I’m still a noob). So those back quotes are not the normal quotes but the one on the same key as tilde? I’d much rather do that than markdown. Now I know…thanks.

Sheila

Yep, that it it.
As well as getting it offset, it protects any special characters that may be
in the text you copy/pasted, from being interpreted as formatting characters.
You want what you copy/paste in to be verbatim.

Try it next time
Neville

3 Likes

Hi Howard, :wave:

thanks for your kindness.

But to be honest I think it´s rather @kovacslt who should take credit for it. He had the right clue after all:

This led to the solution.

Thanks to all of you. :heart:

3 Likes