Notepad-plus-plus and dot-files in Linux

I cannot get Notepad-plus-plus to open a dot-file (.bashrc, .bash_aliases) so I can edit. Is there a setting I need to make or is there a way to run program as sudo?

Could you please fill out the template from this post? Thank you.

I am unable to post information you requested in template. Error I get:
“Body is limited to 32000 characters; you entered 114076.”

I cannot input inxi -Fxz and dmesg_*.log as this puts me over limit. I also cannot upload images beyond 1 because I get the following error:
“Sorry, new users can only put one image in a post.”
“Sorry, new users can only put 2 links in a post.”
So that means I cannot add the “other” template requested information too.

Please remove/delete my post. I’ll look elsewhere for a solution, Thanks.

Hi @A-NON-E-MUS,
What do you want to do: is it just to edit these files?

1 Like

yes, that’s all I wish to do in Notepad-plus-plus.

I think Notepad++ is for Windows only

Are you trying to edit these files in Windows?

You can use others text editors if you are using Linux…

1 Like

yes, I use windows version all the time. After reading the It’s FOSS article “Notepad++ on Linux is a Reality Thanks to This Snap Application” and installing Notepad-plus-plus package using an embedded version of Wine, I cannot open a dot-file (.bashrc, .bash_aliases) to edit.

yes, that’s what I’ll do, use other editors in Linux. Thanks.

2 Likes

I also use Notepad ++ on Windows, but on Linux Mint Mate, I use nano, xed and VSCodium to program.
Sorry for not being able to help you, but I never tested Notepad ++ on Linux with Wine

2 Likes

I use nano too. thanks appreciate you trying though.

3 Likes

I also use nano on Linux, especially where there’s no GUI. Such as my VPS, or home server.
But in my ancient Windows times I got used to Notepad++, it has some features I really like.
NotepadQQ on Linux comes insanely close to what Notepad++ does on Windows, so I’d try that too.

2 Likes

Thanks. I too, use Notepadqq but as you stated I got used to Notepad++ and once I read the article that it was coming to Linux I thought it might finally be able to use it again. I also tried to open in Notepadqq .bashrc and .bash_aliases and Notepadqq does not display hidden files for me. Just like Notepad++. Do you know if I could be missing something in running it or in settings?

3 Likes

To be honest, the thing that tied me to Notepad++ was the vertical selection.
That does Notepadqq too.
I didn’t really use sysntax higlighting.
Notepadqq has lots of customizations on shortcut keys, etc… so playing with them you may get closer to what you got used to.
I always opened any file with “open with” (from MATE’s file manager, Caja context menu) and select Notepadqq when specifically needed Notepadqq.
That works for hidden files too.

1 Like