NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Linux Gaming Benchmark

HI all FOSSers - No doubt you will have read the useless, irrelevant and uninformed content by some members and even staff banging on about how crap NVIDIA graphics are and how fantastic some obscure irrelevant Wayland whatever is superior with AMDGPU+RadeonSI, whatever - init…!

I do not connect at all with this silly jive as when you run Trisquel gnulinux you don’t have any problems with NVIDIA on four disparate computers. Indeed I set a world record on such. These people who post this rubbish content have not a clue as to why the performance is so stunning - even to this day.

I have tried many times to kindly educate them and have given them so many examples professionally referenced such as…

… but alas to no avail - they keep banging on and on about Wayland as if I am bothered in the slightest… why would I want a stack of problems to deal with even ubuntu don’t want the hassle with crashes and freeze ups either.

Who would want to migrate from gnulinux to an American Slow Poke OS - not me!

So for you good FOSSers, transient visitors and Noobs - I have great confidence that you can read a thoroughly reliable highly professional reference work by those Phoronix guys…? …again…? :face_with_monocle:

Let us start with a NVIDIA graphics card, soon to be replaced by something better - and compare it to the SuperDuper AMDGPU+RadeonSI…

Quote from page 2 reveals - “With F1 2017, the latest F1 native Linux game port by Feral and rendered using Vulkan, the Zotac RTX 2080 was coming in line with the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti at just under 120 FPS while playing with high quality settings at 4K… In comparison, the Radeon RX Vega 64 was coming in at just 81 FPS.
Oh Dear :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :astonished: :flushed: :wink:
F1 2018 can run on Linux via Steam Play with Proton where the Direct3D calls are translated using DXVK to Vulkan… F1 2018 runs very well on Steam Play and in fact at 4K with ultra high quality settings, the RTX 2080 could sustain a 90 FPS average.
Oh Deary me; not looking good for the spreaders of disinformation… :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :astonished: :flushed: :wink:
The native Linux port of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is still sadly causing hangs with AMDGPU+RadeonSI, so here is just a look at the NVIDIA performance. For this OpenGL-based game, the RTX 2080 could run with high quality settings at 1440p with a 69 FPS average, in line with the GTX 1080 Ti.
So there you have it - 7 pages of highly professional forensic grade benchmark testing. Now just who you want to trust - these Phonix pros or the spreaders of disinformation here at it’sFOSS - I leave it with you to decide as I do not have any NVIDIA problems and don’t play such games. :slightly_smiling_face: :kissing_heart: :wink:
Hope that this post has helped some FOSSers…? even those Neanderthals stuck in the past with their outdated low brow content :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: :wink:

ps Talking of Neanderthals stuck in the past - here is an example of…

Some great content there FOSSers - What a joke :smile: :wink:

Do hope our JohnBlood, Akito and Daniel will try and get up to date some time soon as we FOSSers and those cool Phoronix guys have been using NVIDIA RTX series since the last ice age - No Problemo :robot: Asta la Vista :baby: Baby :grin: :laughing: :joy: :joy: :joy: :kissing_heart: :wink: