Open Question regarding Distros in one place other than those already with a Category

I am asking this question to the community to see what others think.

I have seen a few questions about various Distros other than the ones we already have a category for. I was wondering what you felt and if we had a separate one for them all to be in so that members who either use them or want to know more about them can easily find them in one place.
I personally think it would be a good idea. So what do you all think

2 Likes

i think it could be helpful. i believe i understand @abhishekā€™s thought process (in one of these threads) about not having an overwhelming amount of categories to have to sort through, but maybe something as open-ended as ā€œother distrosā€ could fit this bill. i have seen some fragments about manjaro and mx linux here and there that i thought were interesting to be sure.

1 Like

@abhishek set out his stall with Ubuntu and Linuxmint as the staple diet of most users, when set up this forum.

I would suggest, ā€œOther Distrosā€ category, to accommodate non-Buntu based OS.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Iā€™m with Mack and Others distro catagory would be helpful.
Maybe add Fedora , Suse, and the the other big name ones Manjaro and arch etc.

2 Likes

I believe soon I will ask some for MX Linuxā€¦

1 Like

I like the idea of the ā€œOther Distrosā€ but I donā€™t it should be limited and it was talking to you my friend that sparked the idea to ask about it. So @anon56357095 youā€™re to blame for my starting this thread :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Well Iā€™m used to being the culprit.

Any way I currently run Manjaro Gnome 18 on my rig, Debian Xfce on laptop1, Manjaro 18 Openbox on laptop 2, (rebuilt 5430) and anything that takes my fancy on laptop 3 which is multiple boot and store data to 2nd HDD where CD tray was (rebuilt 5430).

2 Likes

Actually Ubuntu and Linux Mint have a huge user base so I created separate categories for them. I wasnā€™t sure of creating categories for other major distributions. It will be too many categories.

The General Linux Question category is supposed to be the ā€˜other distributionsā€™ category. Clearly itā€™s not very clear. Iā€™ll either edit the name or create a new one for the rest of the distributions.

3 Likes

Thanks for replying. I think General Linux Questions is fine. My point in asking this of the community was to see if there was a need to have a separate category for other Distros to be in so that our community could share their experiences of them.

I also agree that there can be too many which would be confusing. It was just I saw going through things people mentioning or asking things that I felt could be grouped in one specific category. It is my personal opinion that the general questions could be kept as it is, unless others would find that confusing which I also understand could happen.

2 Likes

I reckon thereā€™s too many distros to have their own sub-headingsā€¦

Maybe :
ā€œArch basedā€ (covers Arch and Manjaro plus others)
ā€œRed Hat RPM basedā€ (covers RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, Scientific and Oracle, but not Suse or OpenSuse)
Suse + OpenSuse?
"Debian based" (i.e. not already covered by Ubuntu or Mint, e.g. Debian itself, Raspbian)

Distro overload!
My biggest Linux customer have just decided to add Ubuntu server into their already chaotic mix of :

• Oracle Linux (OEL) 5, 6 and 7
  • RHEL 6 and 7
  • CentOS 5, 6, 7
  • Debian 8
    environments!!!

And they expect me to manage all this - Iā€™ve been pushing back at them to use Puppet for the last six months - & still no traction!

2 Likes

Permissions 1000 v 500, yep, chaotic.

That would be great I think and would save a lot of searching.
cpast

2 Likes