Please introduce yourself

Let’s use this topic to introduce ourselves.

• Name
  • Country of residence
  • What do you do?
  • Linux users since?
  • Main distribution you are using
  • How long have you been following It’s FOSS?
  • What do you expect from It’s FOSS Community?

You are not obliged to provide any details that you don’t want to :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I’ll start with myself.

I am Abhishek Prakash. Residing in France/India. I am senior software engineer and currently working on It’s FOSS and Linux Handbook. I have been using Linux since 2009-10. I use Ubuntu as my primary OS and with It’s FOSS Community, I want to create a place where Linux users could hangout for a discussion and clear their doubts, share interesting stuff.

17 Likes

I will continue
i am Georgia Hejduk from Czech Republic/ Prague, i am student of Finance and Logistics services, and i have been using linux since 2014.My current primary distro is Linux Mint 19 Tara (Cinnamon). I hope this will be nice community that is useful to each other

9 Likes

I will add my two cents.
I am John Paul Wohlscheid from Michigan, USA. I split my time between Windows and Linux. (I also have a couple of Macs I play with from time to time.) I mainly use Solus or Manjaro, but I like trying out new distros. I guess you could call me eclectic.

I look forward to many fun and informative conversation on this forum. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hey Everyone :grin:!

I’m Avimanyu Bandyopadhyay from Kolkata, India. You can just call me Avi :slightly_smiling_face:. I’m a PhD candidate and researcher in Bioinformatics.

I use Open Source tools for my research work and also love writing about Open Science on It’s FOSS. Both of these roles continue to be very mutually beneficial throughout my current learning experience.

I’ve been a Linux user since 2004. Currently I’m using Ubuntu MATE 16.04 for my regular tasks and research work as well. I’m also a gamer so I use Windows on dual boot too (with the recent emergence of Proton for Steam, it seems that will not be the case for much longer :wink:)

I really like this initiative and look forward to interesting discussions on this forum.

I think together, we can build up a wonderful information resource on the web through this community. So, wishing all the very best to us all :blush:!

8 Likes

Hello, my name is Phillip Prado, I live in the United States. I am the digital content manager for an international non-profit organization. I have been a Linux user since 2012, and I have almost always stayed either in the Ubuntu family or distros based off of Ubuntu. I have been using KDE Neon/Kubuntu for quite some time now, and I plan to stay there for the time being, but I am also a huge fan of what Elementary OS is doing. I always keep EOS installed on my spare laptop so I can keep up with the project. I don’t expect much from the community, but I do expect a good place to have good old-fashioned conversations about Linux and FLOSS!

5 Likes

Hello, my name’s Henrique and i’m from Brazil. It’s my pleasure to be here with you! Thanks for all. Linux and Floss for ever.

4 Likes

My introduction:

• Name: Saurabh
  • Country of residence: India
  • What do you do? I am a researcher in life sciences
  • Linux users since? 2006
  • Main distribution you are using: Linux Mint on main machine and Antergos on a netbook
  • What do you expect from It’s FOSS Community? I hope it turns out to be a lively and enduring community. I hope we can guide each other and everyone can contribute positively to discussions. I also hope that someday, ITSFOSS community will also organise local events.
6 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am Sylvain from France.
For the last 15 years, I was busy teaching CS and IT to people of all ages, and promoting Linux and opensource software. However, by doing so, I barely reached a few thousand people each year. So I try now try to leverage my experience to develop Yes, I Know IT an online education business to bring that knowledge to the broadest audience. Check my YouTube channel if you want to know more :wink:

I was an early Linux adopter since my first experience probably dates back to 1996–and I still remember the painful RedHat installation process requiring an endless pile of 3"5 floppy disks, where of course the necessary drivers for your hardware were missing. In parallel, I was using a Mac Plus at home and avoided as much as I could Windows 3.11

I became a Linux-only user with the release of Debian Woody around 2002–and since then, I run Linux and primarily Debian-based systems on as many devices as I can.

Thanks to the great work of @Abhishek and @rohini689 with ItsFOSS.com and the LinuxHandbook.com, I had the opportunity those last months to reach many people curious and eager to learn new things about Linux and IT in general. Hopefully, the ItsFOSS community would be a space to exchange, get feedback on our work and gather your ideas about the topic we should explore.

As the last word, I’m not too much into social networks (and “social things” in general–call me a Nerd!) so don’t hesitate to ping me if you have a message you want to be sure I won’t miss!

8 Likes

Hi all, I am Ondrej originally from the Czech Republic, living in UK since 2010. I am a neuroscience PhD student at Oxford right now. I do a lot of computational analyses and Bayesian modelling for which Linux is the best. I’ve been into computers since very young age and I tried my first Linux distro when I was 12 (mandriva linux) been using it on and off since 2012 and I switched full time in 2014. I use Mint 18.3 right now on my main machine but I tried most major distros at some point.
I love nagging colleagues about their OS “choices” and I have a Tux sticker on the back of my laptop.
Excited to be part of this community.

4 Likes

Hi,
My name is Michael Biddulph and I live in Staffordshire, UK.
I have worked in IT related roles for most of my life both in sales and as an IT evangelist.
Now days I’m mostly retired but have built and still maintain a few charity websites.
Mainly I use Windows but have always had an interest in Linux. Currently I have a laptop with Linux Mint 19 and a server running OMVserver keeping all the family hardware backed up.
Also have built a number of RaspberryPI projects.
Always good to be part of the community :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Greetings, my name is Carlos and I reside in the USA. I am a professional photographer who has migrated to Linux. I also have 33 years of IT experience.

5 Likes
  • Rudy
  • US
  • Sell Insurance
  • Linux users since 2011
  • Main distribution Ubuntu
  • What do you expect from It’s FOSS Community? Everything!!
3 Likes

My name is Kerstin from Sweden. I am a retired women. Linux since 02/2018. I don like Windows 10. I have Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon. I expect to learn and understand Linux better for e new user.

7 Likes

Hi

My name is Zeev. I live in Israel. I use Linux for about 5 years.
I’m a software developer. My main experience is developing embedded devices. Another experience is development with Qt (noton embedded devices)
My main OS is Linux Mint (currently 19).

My expectation from the community is to find a place where technical question regarding Linux will get answers from time to time.

4 Likes

Hey everyone
I’m dks
I like arch Linux and all things foss and hate windows
Who’s with me?

7 Likes

Good day
Bill Paterson is the name, retired Post Office Manager and currently running Kali Linux Live with persistence. Other Linux distro favourites are Mint and Elementary.
Only been “converted” to Linux for two years but wish I had moved there much sooner. I would like to increase my knowledge by learning from such websites as this one.m

6 Likes

I’m Jay Tuthill. I’ve been a Linux user since the early 2000’s, but more seriously during the past few years. I started on the 512k Mac back in the mid 1980’s. Software availability forced me to DOS/Windows. I am a chemical engineer by training and have an MBA in finance and accounting. My programming started with BASIC, FORTRAN and ALGOL. For one finance project, I had to convert the Standard & Poors COMPUSTAT tapes from IBM EBCDIC to Mac binary so I could use Systat for the calculations. That required me to learn C. Now, a big project I’m working on pushed me to the Numerical Recipes routines. They used to be in C, but now are in C++, so I had to learn C++. Along the way I have picked up HTML and CSS. Since Javascript and Python are so popular, I’ve been teach myself them in my spare time. I use a lot of Stata, and the combo of Linux, Stata, Numerical Recipes and C++ are powerful and fast tools for solving complex problems. Some of my calculations are taking 3 weeks with Windows, so I became highly motivated to develop my Linux skills to get the times down to a few hours. I have started with AWS, but as I built a bunch of Intel servers and they are paid for, I have been reluctant to spend money on AWS until the servers get out of date. I’m looking forward to how this group grows.

5 Likes

My name is Michael
From Ireland
I’m in college doing software development
Started using linux full time after I got fed up from the pain of windows 10
:smiley: live long to Linux and Tux!!

5 Likes

Townsend Thomas USA I bounce between hardware and software as the fun/need requires.
I am A BSEE age 85. Have been writing programs since 1980. I founded Syscon International and we currently are mostly doing Industry 4.0. Currently using 18.04 and Arduino (for edge devices) I look to the community for Ideas.

6 Likes