Please introduce yourself

Every operating system has benefits and drawbacks.

Would love to have really cold winters not going to happen in near Brisbane Qld Aust.

Using KDE Plasma for many years I find it’s too annoying (stifling) when I try using other desktops,

Wanting to share is what a community is all about.

Welcome to It’sFOSS @Bill_Morin

artytux

roughly 1 hour from Sudbury. lol, its been very mild… only around 0C for the last week. waiting for the anvil to fall

i am sending spreadsheet results of a duplicate bridge game to 25 ish seniors. it seems they can’t open the attached file i send with the email when the file is from libreoffice ( not sure why- but they r not exactly computerly gifted) . When i use excel from office 2003 they seem to be able to open it just fine- so I have tried playonlinux , wine, with moderate success. have recently tried crossover and it seems to be working, so will stick with that platform

Are you writing the file from LibreOffice in excel format?
Try again and check it yourself before you email.
Another option is Gnumeric… it can read and write files in Excel format.

Regards
Neville

1 Like

@Bill_Morin - can I suggest you start a new topic under “General Linux Question” or whatever and we can discuss your issue - as per @nevj - I suspect maybe you’re not sending them an excel “XLSX” file, but a LibreOffice open document format “ODF” file. You probably need to explicitly save as either an XLS, or XLSX (e.g. “Excel 2007-365 (.xlsx)” or “Excel 97-2003 (.xls)”).

Another option - if you’ve got a full license for MS Office 365, is you can run Excel “inside” a web browser when logged into your Office 365 account online (works for me Chrome, Brave and Edge - should work in Firefox too [just haven’t tried]).

1 Like

daniel
i have saved the libreoffice file in xlsx format and attached it thusly with no success ( ie some seem to be getting a blank file - don’t know why). I do have a license for office 2003 and it works, as long as I go thru Crossover. I found playonlinux a bit spotty for working. Of course I don’t know if these seniors are using ipads, samsung or regular laptops, so I am not aware of any patterns. I have tried using the internet version of office but it seems more trouble than just living with excel 2003. The only drawback to it is I have to pay a yearly fee to “codeweavers”.

nevj
i have not heard of this program , and will give it a try. thanks
bill

Hello, do people need to edit the spreadsheet once they get it. If not, then LO has “export as pdf” which most devices can open,
Just a thought. Bill

1 Like

0bill0
this seems like a good path to try out. will experiment with it
thanks
bill

0bill0
once they can open it all they will want to do is look at the results ( it is a bridge tournament showing all hands played with scores)
bill

Please continue this discussion in the new topic
"Sendsing spreadsheet by email … "

I’m Sagar from India.
A software engineer and staff writer for itsFOSS.
ItsFOSS was my main source of information in the early days of using Linux and I expect that we should come up with some interesting topics, find hidden gems of Linux and promote FOSS as much as possible.

Unlike others, the reason why I started using Linux is hilarious. My laptop was throttling after heavy Windows updates so I switched to Linux. But the issue was related to hardware and that lead me to use Linux as my primary OS since 2019.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @sudoersagar.

That was also one of the main reasons I decided to try Linux. That and what seems like a daily scan of the hard drive.

3 Likes

Hello. My name is Mark Hawkins and I live near Dallas, Texas USA. I have retired from a 40+ year career as a computer technician. I have been using one Linux distribution or another since about 2010. For the last 5 years I have settled on Linux Mint with Cinnamon desktop. Pretty much I use the desktop; when necessary I will go to the command line if I have instructions. I have followed It’sFoss for a couple of years now and have learned some good information. I hope through this community to learn even more and maybe even answer a question or two.

3 Likes

We hope, you will! Welcome!

Hi Mark and welcome,
You should find some of our discussions interesting… we get into hardware occasionally and there are lots of software topics.
Dont be afraid to ask for advice or just tell us some good stories, and there will obviously be some posts where you can offer help or opinion.
Regards
Neville

Welcome, Mark.

I am sure we can all learn a few things from your vast experience.

Welcome to the forum. I also retired from IT after 30 years and also use Linux Mint.
I hope you find your experience here rewarding.

Name : Doron but everyone calls me Doc 
Country of residence : USA 
What do you do? : sysadmin
Linux users since? : 1996
Main distribution you are using : Arch
How long have you been following It’s FOSS? : 2 weeks or so? 
What do you expect from It’s FOSS Community? : just to chill and meet other people using linux
1 Like

Welcome to “Its Foss Community” forum Doc ( @Doron_Beit-Halahmi ).

With your long history with Linux, I am sure you have gain a huge working knowledge of Linux. The people on this forum range from beginners to advance users like yourself. I hope you find your visits here enjoyable.

2 Likes