Please introduce yourself

Hello Mina
Good to know that somewhere outthere in webland there are real people who don’t mind the chit chat that goes with been part of a community.

Warm Regards
artytux

easyt50

Only found that out myself a short time back

Regards
artytux

I got cut off reached limit of 3 post on topic AHH Funny

Hello Nevj
First thought when reading your comment was
When everything is well explained there is no excuse for notunderstanding,
wow that was a close one nearly jumped up on the soapbox.

Have good week Neville

Kind Regards
artytux

1 Like

Hello

• My name is Tomáš Brunclík (Tomas Brunclik without the accented letters)

• Job: Ph.D. at the University of Pardubice, Institute of Environmental and Chemical Engineering, teaching IT and GIS, research in remote sensing of environment (using QGIS, GRASS GIS, Zotero, LibreOffice, …). FOSS related interests: Photography (GIMP, RawTherapee), PC/Linux.

• Main distribution: Sparky Linux

• I have just signed up

• Information sharing

2 Likes

Hello @tom44 and welcome,

You will find a mix of things in itsFOSS… linux technical issues, debates on general computing , problem solving, airing new achievements, and a bit of fun.

I did a PhD once - in Quantitative Genetics. You will have a busy schedule if you are doing a thesis, and teaching and expanding your research interests.

Why Sparky Linux?. Tell us about your computing needs and how Sparky helps to meet them. You may be surprised how some FOSS members will chip in with hints and opinions.

Regards
Neville

Hi,
I Am ProdXPriv.
My Goal is to achieve productivity with privacy. I like Fedora and Pop!OS .

1 Like

Hi everyone

• I’m Marco, from Portugal (EU).
    By now a Web3 enthusiast and an entrepreneur.
    I’m in Linux for a few months :roll_eyes: and trying to learn about it mostly because of the principles!
    I’m using Ubuntu and Tails
    By fluke found a greate Abhishek explanation and here I am!
    Thank you all :pray: :pray:
2 Likes

Welcome Marco,
I hope you find some interesting or useful things here.
Are you using Linux professionally, or is it just for home use?
People like to hear what others are doing with Linux… successes or failures , it does not matter.
So consider joining into some of the topics or adding your own new topic.

Regards
Neville

Hi @prodxpriv ,
There are lots of discussions here about security and privacy issues.
You should join in.

Productivity? You mean finding easy ways to get stuff done? At least Linux allows users to hunt around and find alternate ways to do things.
Diversity is one of its strengths.

Welcome
Neville

2 Likes

G’Day @daniel.m.tripp & @nevj,

I’m happy to hear there are Aussies in this community. I’m based over on the East Coast, Sydney town. I’m relatively new to Linux and have only been using Ubuntu seriously for ~2 years.

Prior to “seeing the light” I was a die-hard Windows users. I even worked at Microsoft in the Marketing Department where I helped launch the Windows 7 range in AU & NZ. (Plz don’t hold that against me)

I’m enjoying using Ubuntu and have learnt so much from this community.

2 Likes

Hi Mark,
I grew up and worked in Sydney, but we are now retired to the South Coast.
Australia was a very early player in the Unix world, as far back as the 1970’s there were sites using BSD, and there were a number of significant contributors to the code development.
It is great to hear you are getting something from itsFOSS.

Regards
Neville

s’ok… I had to do the same a coupla years ago on another VERY ERUDITE system.
Was tired of all the long-winded opinions replete with replies briefly saying TL;DR.
So I had to look it up… OH! NOW I understand!
Five,six years ago, I was reading all sorts of umm… non-IT “unusual” blogs, including Twitter, and kept seeing the acronym “MAGA”.
WTF was this “MAGA” thing?? Finally I asked one guy. He explained it to me whilst calling me a leftist commie libtard. LOL.
So I moved on…
Hmm… the last few days I’ve been seeing it again on Twitter. I wonder why??? :wink:
Was the above “TL;DR”? Sorry- My bad. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

bill morin
i live in canada, northern ontario. i am a retired math teacher. i am an avid bridge player, cross-country skier and snowshoer. i have been a linux user for 3-4 years and am presently using pop-os with plasma desktop on both my laptop ( dell alienware ) and desktop ( system 76 mira). My main interest in ItsFOSS is that it is an excellent source of information and the users seem anxious to assist with issues. I need to use excel to send emails that others can open ( they don’t seem to be able to open libreoffice emails), so have been grappling with wine, crossover and the like .

1 Like

Welcome to the Foss community.
I hope you find your visits here informational and enjoyable.

Don’t know how far north you are, but saw that in Kingfisher Lake it was 18 F ( -8 C).
Brrr…

Welcome to the new arrivals

This confuses me - are you sending Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets to your “network” via email - or sending emails from directly inside Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet application?

I’ve never done either - I use MS Office 365 “Outlook Web Access” (and Outlook on MacOS) to send / receive work emails. All of the latest versions of MS Office (including MS Excel) work exceedingly well as web applications inside a modern browser like Chrome, Brave or Edge (I do use the Linux “port” of Micorosoft Edge, on Linux).

I don’t use Wine anywhere. Most of what I need can be accomplished running Microsoft Office applicaiton suite via the web interface (I use MS Edge - for no reason other than it seems to work well with using its SYNC feature with my work login). I’m assuming you have a license for MS Office - so - you could try logging in with your license details :

or
https://login.microsoft.com/

I’m just about to embark on extracting some fancy schmancy spreadsheet someone’s wasted hours on doing pretty formatting (why bother?) so I get the guts of the information - a table of ~100 Linux servers the customer wants patched, that have NEVER been patched…

Every operating system has benefits and drawbacks.

Would love to have really cold winters not going to happen in near Brisbane Qld Aust.

Using KDE Plasma for many years I find it’s too annoying (stifling) when I try using other desktops,

Wanting to share is what a community is all about.

Welcome to It’sFOSS @Bill_Morin

artytux

roughly 1 hour from Sudbury. lol, its been very mild… only around 0C for the last week. waiting for the anvil to fall

i am sending spreadsheet results of a duplicate bridge game to 25 ish seniors. it seems they can’t open the attached file i send with the email when the file is from libreoffice ( not sure why- but they r not exactly computerly gifted) . When i use excel from office 2003 they seem to be able to open it just fine- so I have tried playonlinux , wine, with moderate success. have recently tried crossover and it seems to be working, so will stick with that platform

Are you writing the file from LibreOffice in excel format?
Try again and check it yourself before you email.
Another option is Gnumeric… it can read and write files in Excel format.

Regards
Neville

1 Like

@Bill_Morin - can I suggest you start a new topic under “General Linux Question” or whatever and we can discuss your issue - as per @nevj - I suspect maybe you’re not sending them an excel “XLSX” file, but a LibreOffice open document format “ODF” file. You probably need to explicitly save as either an XLS, or XLSX (e.g. “Excel 2007-365 (.xlsx)” or “Excel 97-2003 (.xls)”).

Another option - if you’ve got a full license for MS Office 365, is you can run Excel “inside” a web browser when logged into your Office 365 account online (works for me Chrome, Brave and Edge - should work in Firefox too [just haven’t tried]).

1 Like

daniel
i have saved the libreoffice file in xlsx format and attached it thusly with no success ( ie some seem to be getting a blank file - don’t know why). I do have a license for office 2003 and it works, as long as I go thru Crossover. I found playonlinux a bit spotty for working. Of course I don’t know if these seniors are using ipads, samsung or regular laptops, so I am not aware of any patterns. I have tried using the internet version of office but it seems more trouble than just living with excel 2003. The only drawback to it is I have to pay a yearly fee to “codeweavers”.