Please introduce yourself

Hi folks, I am Dan Barrett from Boston, USA. I’m a Linux book author published by O’Reilly (Linux Pocket Guide, Linux Security Cookbook, SSH, The Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide; MediaWiki, Efficient Linux at the Command Line, and other titles).

I’ve been using Linux/Unix for over 35 years, first as a sysadmin and then a software engineer. My main distro is Ubuntu but I’ve enjoyed a bunch of others too.

I just joined It’s FOSS today, :slight_smile: and I hope to answer questions and have some interesting conversations here. Cheers.

4 Likes

Greeting @dbauthor and Welcome to “It’s Foss”.

With your impressive background, I am sure your knowledge would be great asset to this forum. If you enjoy helping other, you come to the right place.

PS. I have a copy of ‘Linux Pocket Guide’.

3 Likes

Greetings!
My name is Anna and I am a new Linux user.
Glad to join your forum!

3 Likes

Hi @Ann,

Welcome to ‘It’s Foss Community’. I hope you enjoy your visits here.
We were all new Linux user at one time. I only been with Linux for about 4 years.
Have a good day.

2 Likes

Welcome Anna,
You will find a mix of things in itsFOSS… linux technical issues, debates on general computing , problem solving, airing new achievements, and a bit of fun.

Try letting us know about your computing experiences… its easy to do a post, and people are interested in reading about the experiences of others.

Regards
Neville

1 Like

Thank you!
Great forum, lots of interesting information.
Think I’ll learn a lot here!

1 Like

Thank you!
I’ve always used Windows, and mostly work on it. But I’ve long been interested in learning Linux and have a second computer to do it on! I can’t boast much experience with Linux, I’ve installed a few applications, that’s it for now.

2 Likes

Hi @Ann ,
I notice that the upcoming edition of Linux Magzine is called
“Getting started with Linux”
It may be worth a look.
Regards
Neville

To be honest, I’m such a big fan of the O’Reilly cookbooks and “in a nutshell”.
What a great pleasure to welcome you here.

I hope, you find us good company

Mina

2 Likes

Hello Anna,

so nice of you to introduce yourself. I hope, we can not only help you with your first steps into the Linux and FOSS world, but also make it a fun and enjoyable experience.

Mina

1 Like

Hello IT’S FOSS community
I’ve just joined the ITS FOSS community after using Linux for about 10 ~ 12 years this has to be the best thing anyone could do is Linux on their computer.
I should not have hesitated to years to join here,

When started using computers I did use windows but found it so frustrating that the setting I made would change back to what they have had after an update,
Windows lasted about 3 months and back then there was a small local computer repairs sells used and new machine I’d stop in and have a chat with the owner, one day after my saying the problems I’m having with setting etc he points out to set of machines running Linux (Ubuntu) then he shows me the things that can be changed,
Yeah that what I’m wanting and these adjustments stick do they and not disappear with the next lot of updates,
Got home found Ubuntu then Distrowatch yep that night boom goodbye Windows and hello free thinking world ooh
Ubuntu Unity ( that’s the one thats just been revived ? )
bit of distrohopping
SolydK I discovered KDE wow lotta fun
Manjaro KDE of course that’s where I learnt to service the machine and learn the cli awesome
I’m impressed how much ALL of the Linux communities love to share

Now slowed down after a few years and drove GeckoLinux for 15 months very nice
and now slowed right down with SpiralLinux (Debian Spin) about one month seems to run much like GeckoLinux = Out of the way lets you do what you do.

Having the ability to change the look of Colours Themes makes this my own personal machine
Also learn’t to slim down KDE to run faster and on the leaner side.
After driving fast Linuxes it’s enjoyable the slow pace of a static distro or spin as the creator of SpiralLinux calls his creations
Yeah I still get a buzz from driving Linux,
How can I not get a good feeling when I see people I know complain about Windows and tell me Nah Linux Nah I need want something reliable, My usual response UH-HUH
When one of those people would ask_so tell me why do you love Linux_that’s easy
for me having Linux that it makes the difference between
owning a computer and having my own computer

To everyone here
Kind Regards
artytux
almost TLDR
it’s the weather overcast rain days weeks going onto months roads cut off again - Aarrgg !!

4 Likes

Welcome @artytux ,
I love that line, It says a lot.
With Linux you have the opportunity to learn more about computing, if you wish. Windows hides everything and that makes learning impossible.

You are obviously a fair way down the track. Try some posts… tell us about some of your Linux experiences, there will always be someone interested.
Dont be afraid to ask questions, we all get stuck on some issue.

Regards
Neville

2 Likes

Thanks nevj
Sorry about the delayed reply was just about to reply then a visitor in the offline world visited suffering another case of cabin fever.
That line yeah not bad at all,
I may have been on the Linux road for a while thou I do know there is far more knowledgeable folks here and in many other forums.

There’s no hurry up for me these days
Stay off and away from flooded roads.
Keep Safe

All the Best
Regards
artytux

1 Like

Just “almost”. I definitely enjoyed reading about your journey. Welcome to this community.

So, I hope, you’ll also enjoy your time with us!

Mina

1 Like

Hello Mina
wasn’t sure if I should put an Embarrassed red face Emoji

Your very kind of you it is thou

or a Oh Thank You for the

Kind Regards
artytux

1 Like

G’day mate - I’m going to assume from this you’re on the East Coast of Australia, like @nevj ?

I’m on the West Coast… there’s a few other Aussies on here too…

Welcome - I prefer someone who’ll spend the time to do a TL;DR post to terse one liners with lots of SMS shortenings like “ur” et cetera…

3 Likes

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Add my yes to that.
Probably means I am getting old and need everything laid out like for a five year old.

1 Like

I had to look up what TLDR meant. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hey daniel.m.tripp
How you doin just switched on ‘the machine’ & modem every week or so I tend to not start up my desktop box and get some fresh Ahh Cough Cough damn cars,
does some good to get out there and yeah I’m a jabberjaws gasbag too bad if some don’t like that or be like that, that’s me and after being near dead about 12 years ago I live each day full on, just like an inspiration of mine, Steve Irvin and his son also is an awesome person too saw him on that show ‘one on one’ ABCTV for a young bloke WOW,
0Oh zoot sidetracked again OK back on topic yes on the east coast, Just looked @nevj’s profile yeah I am on the east coast thou nevj is one very smart bloke and has accomplished a lot in life PHEW,
While there I looked at your profile whiskers I’m um I definitely could and will learn more from all of you than the other way around.

Have a wonderful week Daniel
Thank you for the welcome

Best Regards
artytux