Please introduce yourself

Norbert KLEIN
Cambodia since 1990
Now at a Pepper Farm - I started the first ISP in Cambodia in 1994 via UUCP
Probably around 1999
OpenSuse - interrupted by W8 and W10 because of office environment, now again Ubuntu since U16
FOSS? Did not know before - started probably 2014
Actively retired - still promoting Linux and other Open Source apps whenever possible.

7 Likes

Welcome to our community Norbert. I hope you find us friendly and helpful. Feel free to search and ask questions and answer any

1 Like

Chom reap suor Lok Norbert

1 Like
  • Name Scott B
  • Country of residence US
  • What do you do? Work for a potato chip factory
  • Linux users since? just starting
  • Main distribution you are using ubuntu 18.04
  • How long have you been following It’s FOSS? 1 day
  • What do you expect from It’s FOSS Community? Knowledge to get away from Windows
8 Likes

Welcome to our friendly community, Scott. Hope you enjoy your stay here with us. No matter how long we’ve been using Linux we are all still learning and asking questions so feel free to do so.

3 Likes

Hi Abhishek,
I have been receiving your mails already a few years. I admire and defend the principle of sharing knowledge. I live in Germany and I have been using Linux 20 years, right now I am still with Ubuntu 14.04. and 32-bit.
I study computer science as a hobby, because computer fascinate me. (work in a different field).
Today I found the courage of signing up, because a problem tortures me: all of a sudden the JRE (I think the JRE) (Java 7) reports: Could not find or load main class whatever.class. It does this with all files, also with those which worked perfect 3 days ago.
I work on the command line, first I compile with javac *.java, then I run with java *.class.
Do you know what it can depend on? (yesterday I was looking online for the possibility of upgrading to java 8, but I don’t think I did anything wrong)
Thank you, Monica

6 Likes

welcome @theano :slight_smile:

you will probably be able to get more help for this issue if you start another topic with a descriptive title and add those last two paragraphs as well as the fact that you are running ubuntu 14.04 32-bit.

2 Likes

You are surely right. Thank you,
theano

2 Likes

Welcome to our community Monica .
As my friend @01101111 has replied it is best you if you start a new topic, because this is really the place just to introduce yourself and by doing so it means you’ll get the widest possible help. That and it stops us Mods from being grumpy :wink: but that could be just me. Just for future reference okay. Enjoy your stay with us and ask away and contribute as much as you want

3 Likes

Welcome to the community, Monica.

Please ask your question by creating a new topic by clicking on the + sign or Create new topic button.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community. Everyone is a learner in some or other way. Please be free to share your experience of getting away from Windows. This might be helpful to those similarly placed.

2 Likes

Dear Daniel,

Sorry for replying to you very late. Tried “Wordgrinder”. You are right, it is a pretty neat text based wordprocessor. It brought back my old memories.

Thanks and Regards.

2 Likes

Raymissa Wukfy
Indonesia (quick info : stayed in Qatar before)
Currently an undergraduate student in a university in Indonesia, 10th semester (lol), majoring Information Technology.
Linux user since…1 or 2 months ago? Yes, I’m still VERY new in Linux :D.
Linux Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
Couple of days after installing Linux Ubuntu on my laptop lol :3D.
Always stay “FOSS (Free and Open Source Software)” :), and not just talk about one specific technology, but if possible, “everything”. Why? For a better understanding in life lolll. Yes, I mean it :smile: .

And I’m a boy, just in case (?).

6 Likes

Hi and welcome to our community @raymissa . Always nice to have new people here. We are all learning so please feel free to join in with things. Only advice I’ll give to you is to just enjoy your learning and ask away or contribute whatever you feel like.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Karena from Olathe, Colorado, USA. I’m a former tech in an analytical chemistry lab, and a current painter. I’ve been using Linux for about 10 years, and following It’s FOSS for about 2. I love tech learning and tinkering, and I’m really looking forward to interacting with this seemingly terrific community of people!

5 Likes

welcome to the community, @Karena :slight_smile:

Good Morning Karena
Always nice to have new peeps on here. Welcome to our friendly community, enjoy your time with us and ask and answer away, we are learning no matter what our experience is. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you! Glad to be here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! This looks like a terrific group of people. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My name is Terry, I’m from UK I have dexterity issues so am only able to use a PC. I have used Linux Suse since around 2006, then for the past few years Ubuntu. I’m currently using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS which appears to be not working as it ought. I previously had someone who assisted me with any problems but now I’m on my own so need to take the plunge and at the very least learn how to do command lines.

6 Likes