Problems with txt2html

I dont think i have seen a Swedish keyboard before. Thanks.

But whey two A keys ?

The history of why keyboards are constructed around letter layout is interesting and when you add a different language to use.

I switch between french and english without thinking. But accents in words always catches me out.

Why

Ete becomes été and not ètè when said i cannot hear the difference. Also in some words if its in capitals (uppercase) the doint always use. ETE in some books but others change to ÉTÉ.

2 Likes

There are three A keys.

AAA

Bizarre don’t know another keyboard with a repeat. Except numbers are often double

Hi again, :wave:

thanks for this latest input of yours. Seems to be an interesting discussion. :wink:

@nevj :

Yes, that´s right, Neville. I guess I should´ve explicitely said so.
I was of the opinion the “depiction” of it would be enough:

Sorry for the oversight.

@callpaul.eu @nevj :

They´re all different, as a matter of fact:

Here they are in a larger format:

kgw_a2
kgw_a3
kgw_a1

• The first one is the normal “A”.
  • the second one is “Ä”, like in “apple”. We have this letter in the German alphabet too.
  • the third one is typical of the Swedish language. It´s pronounced “O”.
    It´s the third to last letter in the Swedisch alphabet.

Many greetings to all from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Thats really interesting, some french keyboards have the extra accented letter but not all.

When you install a new version of linux on a macine it normally detects your region when connected to the net, lmde detects your language at install, then offers the keyboard it detects. I always test as well before moving on as I did a apple keyboard and an ordissimo keyboard both were none standard and the detection had not picked up. It used to ask where is y, do you have £ or euro symbol, the list of possibilities is massive.

3 Likes

That’s true, but the default character set for HTML was originally specified as ISO-8859-1.

rfc 2070 began the process of relaxing that for the more-international HTML 2.0, and rfc 5987 put UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 on equal footing for HTTP encoding (which isn’t the same as HTML encoding), but there’s still a lot of code out there that defaults to Latin1 for HTTP and HTML unless, or sometimes even if, explicitly told otherwise.

3 Likes

@FeRDNYC

I asked that question because the man page of txt2html said it converted latin1 to html by default

--eight_bit_clean | -8 If false, convert Latin-1 characters to HTML entities. If true, .....

and if that parameter was set it did some fiddle with the eighth bit ?

If true, this conversion is disabled.

From that I have no idea what the parameter does.?
Man pages are often like that… precise but unintelligable.
Man pages may also be out of date

I think we know this much… @Rosika 's original html was not Latin1 because
txt2html should have worked if it was Latin1.
Why the parameter made it work is a mystery to me.

1 Like

Only latin I remember is

in vino veritas

I will drink to that

2 Likes

Iway owknay omesay igpay atinlay :smiley:
(novi quidam porcum Latinum)

3 Likes

Think I need help with that even Google failed to translate

Hint: it’s “pig latin”…

2 Likes

Illegitimi non carborundum

Not real latin…

I know some pig latin
is that it?
We used to call it ‘dog latin’ at school.

3 Likes

Does anyone still ,
Learn latin

2 Likes

There are varieties of Latin . If you mean the way the Romans spoke, no.
No more than any of us speak Middle English.
but
Textbook Latin yes. Church Latin yes

2 Likes

Hi again, :wave:

thanks @all for your comments. :heart:

I can relate to that, Neville. :+1:

The same with me.

All I can tell is that I used the “–eight_bit_clean” parameter on two sets of files:

• my test file “Hope it´ll be working”, which I entered in an ordinary text editior (I guess it was gedit

• a set of exported html files (some e-mails exported from thunderbird)

As mentioned earlier I got the suggestion for using this parameter by a member of the ubuntuusers forum. (see my post #11).
He actually replied to another member of the forum and I took up the suggestion.

Cheers from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well Francais is a dialect of Vulgar Latin :smiley:

3 Likes

Vulgar meaning ‘common’ ?

Yes - versus “classical Latin” as taught in some schools… and universities… and used, along with ancient Greek to give “scientific names” to organisms…

There was a great series about ancient “prehistoric” Rome called Romulus (it aired here on the SBS channel) - all the dialog is in “reconstructed” ancient Latin… Although what became Latin was heavily influenced by other languages, including Etruscan…

2 Likes

So vulgar latin, as spoken by the Romans did survive , at least as the French dialect.

2 Likes