Question regarding kernel panic

Hi again, :wave:

thanks to all of you for your new posts. :heart:

@easyt50 :

I think you´re right in your assessment, Howard.

O.K., I´m ashamed to admit I didn´t know that. That´s good to know.

I see. That might explain why my CMOS battery seems to be in rather good shape after all.
Thanks for the link. I´ll look at the information provided there all the same.

Actually not.
I just kept it for the sake of convenience in case I would run into a situation where I need to use a programme which is available for WIN only.
That kind of scenario never materialized however. I even do my tax declaration on Linux Lite with the help of wine/playonlinux.

Well, it´s rather a fresh boot (after powering down the stuck boot process with the on/off switch. But I know what you mean, Howard.

Actually I´d like to keep it that way for a little while longer, circumstances permitting.

@nevj :

Hmm… I wonder. I´ve been using this setup since 2016 without encountering any hiccups (well, until now that is).
I pretty much doubt booting from the external HDD would be the issue here… :thinking: .
Of course, I may still be wrong.

If everything else fails I may resort to it. Thanks for the suggestion, Neville.

I wrecked my brain trying to remember if any kind of kernel panic happened at any time in the (distant) past.

I seem to recollect that it once happened when trying to boot clonezilla live from a usb stick.

As I said, this was only once in all those years, and it in all probability occured when that shonky usb stick we talked about here was still attached to my system.

That usb-stick turned out to be the culprit; so it was a totally different scenario.

To me it seems the clue to solving the problem would be in finding out the reason why boot works without any kernel panic the second time after it initially failed. :thinking:

I mean: there´s no time delay between the two actions (except for a few seconds) and I didn´t even touch any cable or peripheral device.

So: what might have changed then?
Well, I guess, that´s impossible to find out, especially in view of the fact that there are no logs available.

Thanks so much to all of you for your help :heart:

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face: