Read 18.04 files on Windows 10

Is there any way to access Ubuntu 18.04 files from Windows 10 dual boot ?

1 Like

As far as I know, not ā€œnaturallyā€ (as the other way around).
Either you get yourself a common space (maybe a separate partition) for both of them to access to, or you work with a somewhat ā€œunsafeā€ approach via drivers/tools:
Like suggested here (German) or here

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

I thought Iā€™d seen something on its Foss and went and took a look - donā€™t know if this will help you but here is the link - https://itsfoss.com/share-folders-local-network-ubuntu-windows/

2 Likes

This wonā€™t work due to

1 Like

It may be that the easiest way is to use Dropbox as the sharing space and access it both from windows and ubuntu.

1 Like

There is no official Google Drive or Dropbox clients in Ubuntu, right ? I am afraid for my credentials.

Dropbox? Iā€™ve been using it 10 years multi-platform (Win, Mac, Linux)ā€¦ there are clients for Linuxā€¦ theyā€™ve made one change recently - to run it - the filesystem itā€™s on must be ext4ā€¦ donā€™t really use Google Drive outside of the web-clientā€¦ Dropbox have OFFICIAL clients for Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora etcā€¦ only Linux platform I never found a ā€œproperā€ client was on Raspbian and other ARM Linux devices (there are CLI workarounds).

I remember ~10-12 years ago - there was an ext2 or ext3 ā€œdriverā€ for Windows to read ext formatted partitionsā€¦ from my dim recollections, it seemed to workā€¦

I use a combination of Dropbox and Resilio Sync to share files between Windows (my work laptop) and Linux ā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks @daniel.m.tripp

If there is a Dropbox client that would be ideal for me. Looks like there are a couple of Linux readers available for Windows 10 as well. But I think Dropbox client will be more useful in my case.

1 Like

Bear in mind - Dropbox will mean you have two copies of each fileā€¦

e.g.
C:\Users\dillip\Dropbox
/home/dillip/Dropbox

If you reboot Linux before your Linux Dropbox has syncā€™d everything to the cloud, you wonā€™t see the changed files in Windowsā€¦
For ā€œfreeā€ I think you get 1 GB with Dropbox (I have 11.5 GB Iā€™ve earned various ways over the years)ā€¦

2 Likes

@daniel.m.tripp I see, that you use Dropbox for a long time and are very used to it. Despite that, Iā€™d like to show you a superior alternative, maybe you could at least have a look at it.

https://mega.nz/

It has a focus on privacy, security and usability. You can share files and even chat with friends, using video, voice and text, etc. I use this for many years and since then donā€™t really use any other service, except I am forced to.
Btw. it comes with 50GB for everyone (+ optional 10+20+15GB for 180 days if you install the MEGA app, etc.), so your earned 11.5GB are values from 15 years ago, I guess. :laughing:

It also has a phone app, browser extension for extra security (secures connection additionally) and usability (makes access quicker, but more secure), Thunderbird extension for extra usability and security (sharing files from MEGA quickly ove e-mail, as an example), a CLI client, as well as a WORKING Linux sync software with GUI and so on, whatever you need.

1 Like

what I do is in Ubuntu, make a copy of the file I like to see in Windows in a Ddrive, folder Transfer. After a restart on Windows , you can find that file.
The other way around, in windows put the file in the Ddrive Transfer folder and once restarted on Ubuntu, you can mount the Ddrive Transfer folder and find your file.
The transfer via dropbox or even via Firefox Send, is also working fine.

1 Like

Google drive will work in any modern Web browser and Ubuntu has a Dropbox program that works; just check the Ubuntu solfware library

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always found a Dropbox client in every distribution. Google Drive is right there on the web, always. And somewhere in this thread MEGA is mentioned, the remote storage system that gives everyone 50GB of free storage.

So there are three viable alternatives.

2 Likes

Though, Iā€™d like to add that it would be even worth to use MEGA if you would ā€œonlyā€ get like 10GB, due to all the other positive points regarding this service.

1 Like

I run Windows as a VM (VMWare) and define my /home folder as a shared resource that the VM can see. I can access any and all files on that EXT4-formatted partition from the Windows VM. But, for shared data (accessible to both OSes), my ā€˜DATAā€™ partition is formatted as NTFS and also defined as a sharable resource in VMWare. This is an artifact from when I dual-booted so I could access files from both OSes. Good Luck!

1 Like

More info about https://mega.nz/

After @Akito mentioned this site I did some tests with Mega because Iā€™m looking an alternative to Dropbox
The total space for a free account is very confusing, for example you have 50 GB free plus more bonus for rewards. This is not tottaly true
I wrote to the support and the base quota for a free account is 15 GB. You can check on settings panel the rewards or bonus you can earn in space have above 15GB are limited in time
They told me to prevent lose my account or my data due to the inactivity l have to login at least once every three months

@Akito, thanks for tip of mega.nz

2 Likes

I donā€™t know about that. I just know that I set up my own account and several accounts for friends/family and all of them have 50GB respectively on their free account, permanently.

1 Like

Strangeā€¦ I have 50 GB free and when I checked in settings, 35 GB have a limited time of 30 days
This is the reason I wrote to support.

Email received today:

"About your questions:

• Without bonus and expiration dates how many amount of space can I have with free account forever for my files work?
    You have a base quota of 15GB of storage.

• I need do enter in MEGA regularly to donā€™t loose the account?
    To prevent lose your account or your data due to the inactivity you have to login at least once every three months."

1 Like

Just to add my two penny worth Dropbox is included in Software Manager in Mint I was just looking at the software manager for some thing I am working on.

1 Like

@ElectricDandySlider, thanks for the info :+1:

2 Likes