Screen Share To Smart TV

Hello friends,
Please tell me how to screen share my ubuntu screen to my sony smart Tv.
I tried setting and sharing but no device is showing on my tv screen to connect?

2 Likes

The best option for any tv and laptop/ desktop is to use a wga / hdmi cable. U can also change ur prefrences of mirroring using the settings app in ubuntu.

1 Like

I have used it by HDMI cable.
Can you tell me more about WGA?
I don’t have any idea about it please elaborate.

VGA cable is used for connecting moniters to pc / laptops.
Here is a link to buy it or just look how it looks.

1 Like

If Ur laptop and tv has a vga point, then u can use this method.

U can use this convertor if ur tv doest have vga point.
Most of the laptops have a vga point.
Don’t know much abt tvs have it, But u can use this convertor

1 Like

Ha!
It’s not WGA, but VGA. :smiley:

1 Like

Is the Sony “smart TV” chrome cast compatible?

I have a Sony TV that’s allegedly “smart” (I find the terms Smart and “AI” when applied to technology are in fact oxymorons) - but it won’t do Chromecast… i.e. we had to plug a chromecast into its HDMI port it to cast stuff…

I’ve done Ubuntu screen cast to Chromecast before - it aint rocket science… but it’s been a few years now, got no need for it…

Also - Chromecast are so dirt cheap, they’re almost disposible / consumable… e.g. about the price of 10 coffees?

Maybe fork out for the lowest end Chromecast?

1 Like

Indeed, most of the time it’s purely marketing. In the case of “Smart TVs” the only reason they call it “Smart” is just because it has more features than a classic TV. To me personally “Smart TV” means paying a premium for a TV that not only can be used as a TV, but also used as plenty of other shit, I wouldn’t ever use myself, as I have a high-end computer at my hands, anyway, so why would I even bother with the TV. The only thing I can still understand is something like a YouTube or one of those Netflix type apps, where you can use the TV only, without external crap, to watch non-TV videos. All the tons of other apps are pretty much useless and I wouldn’t recommend anyone wasting their time on some stupid TV app, that has barely a purpose, anyway.

Additionally, because of the whole Android TV crap, since many “Smart TVs” tend to run Android, it is now possible to actually put ransomware/trojans/viruses on the TV. No kidding, actually already happened.

Well, my classic TV is maybe “stupid”, but at least it’s impossible to hack into it, as there simply is nothing you could hack into!

P.S.:
Actually, I never in my life owned a personal TV, that I bought for myself. This probably won’t ever change and I’m proud of that.

1 Like

In the 1990’s Compaq used to have a laptop docking station called a “SmartDock” - I seriously spent a WHOLE morning at a customer trying to get that ugly creamy/beige barely luggable laptop to dock to the equally ugly cream/beige “Smart Dock”… **

My boss came onsite in the arvo out and showed me that it was a “smart dock”, because you just lay the laptop on top of it - connected the docking station to the power outlet, pressed a button at the side and some “robotic” actuated doohickey would grab the laptop and “dock” it… All that to save the effort it normally takes to dock a laptop, which by and large uses the ubiquitous force of gravity to dock a laptop? Seriously Compaq - no wonder you flopped and had to get bailed out by HP…

Note : this was mostly kinda pre-internet days - there was no Google, not even AltaVista or WebCrawler or Yahoo… so back then RTFM actually meant opening up some dead tree and read the f–king manual…

** wasn’t my first f–k up at that customer site either - I was rolling out an SMB (over netbeui - what a ghastly protocol that was!) peer to peer networking product called Artisoft Lantastic, and hooking up computers to one another using coaxial ethernet - and - couldn’t get it working, because I’d placed THREE terminators along the continuous daisy chained 10base2 coaxial network, you can ONLY ever have TWO only (i.e. more than one but less than three) on one coaxial segment…

Hey, back then you at least were able to open a manual. Imagine opening hardware today. First, you sometimes need to have expert knowledge on this very specific device, this very specific model and production year, then you open it and no matter what you do, the device is already marked as “opened” so all warranty and repair crap is gone i.e. has extremely increased prices.

Well, at least that happens if you e.g. want to open an Apple device.

If you do not want to open the device, you still usually lack a manual, that is put in the box. If there is a manual at all for the particular device, you first have to download it, etc. Then, it might still not be a manual, as expected. I’ve seen too many devices, where the only “manual” available was a “Quick Start Guide” that shows you how to plug in and turn on the crap you just bought. That’s not a damn manual!!

I wish, it’d be still absolutely normal and expected to have manuals for most devices, at least as detailed as a manual for a motherboard. There is so much to explain regarding new motherboards and their features, that companies still did not dare to make it too short, as it probably saves a lot of customer support time.

Plus, it’s often good to know, how your device works. You probably can imagine, how many people on earth use a device for 5-10 years and then, after all these years, they say something like “oh, I didn’t even know that thing could do that”… :woman_facepalming:

Besides that, I’m sad the children today do not even get to read a manual for the game they want to play. Mostly, they will never get a hard copy, anyway, and even if they do, you only get a Code-In-A-Box, with NO manual in it, but, of course, some ad material.

I still remember reading manuals of games I got, before playing the game, at all. Reading a game’s manual was pretty much part of the game and part of trying out a new game.

P.S.:

Respect goes out to the creators of games like Endless Space, which are fairly new games, but have actual manuals as PDFs available for download. They are like classic manuals, where game mechanics are explained, etc.

1 Like

Ya, it’s True. I think the HDMI option is best.

Well, Smart and android TV is like only marketing for them. It only differs some apps and cost of money.

Nowadays people are starting games. Playing it for some time.
And after that making a youtube video :laughing:

Hi @Mihir_Bhadange
So did you check abt vga
its similar to hdmi i told you.
And as you told that hdmi was not working, you can try using vga cable

Thank You

1 Like

ya ik it was a typo
sry

1 Like

pls dt abrv, its h2 ustd.

2 Likes

Way back when - if you installed a new HDD into your computer - you had to know how many cylinders, tracks per cylinder and all that stuff, sector size… it was nightmarish… to cover every possible hard disk - you’d have to have the library of Alexander on hand (slight exaggeration) to store all the manuals…

Then someone on Compuserve uploaded a database and application (probably dBase III and compiled to an app using Clipper) had the genius to plonk all those settings into one source and make it available online essentially for free (I don’t remember if it was shareware or free) on Compuserve and dial up BBS… that thing was invaluable… e.g. you’ve got 150-200 386 PC’s to support running DOS + Windows 3.x - most of them will have a BIOS battery fail at somepoint - and they will lose all the BIOS settings including the specifics for the hard drive at some point in time - a very few manufacturers (Conner I think?
Long since bought out by Seagate) had those specs printed onto the hard drive, but most didn’t…

The worst ones were ESDI and MFM, you had to twist 2 pairs of ribbon cables in the exact right order, have all the jumpers set correctly, and know the cylinders, sectors etc… With SCSI in most cases, you just had to set the SCSI ID, most systems with SCSI drives could interrogate the logic chips on the hard drive to get those details…

Thankfully plug and play came along and we could dispense with this rubbish…

I actualy prefer to keep all my manuals “near line” soft copies (e.g. on a computer hard drive) - but often rely on being online to grab them from the intertoobs… I’m a firm believer in the “paperless office”…

I haven’t try it later! because my work was finished after that.

I am trying to do so from Ubuntu 22.04 to a GoogleTV/Chromecast.
In my browser (Vivaldi) I have found the “cast” item which returns “no device found”.
VLC => playback => renderer does not find the device.
The device is correctly set up and works from an android phone.
Somewhere I saw the suggestion to run the command avahi-browse -l --all
The command listed the chromecast device.
I have tried all the usual stuff, (restarting router, etc, PC and factory resetting the dongle.)