Seeking a Free & Open Source Audio Recorder

I’m searching for a FOSS audio recorder.

Audacity was used for so many years by so many, as the obvious choice.

Now, of course, people stopped using it, because of the privacy disaster they got themselves into.
Audacity is basically gone!

Now, to the alternatives.

Found Tenacity.

Looked fine.

Tried to record PC audio.

I could not get it to work, as I thought I am doing something wrong and need to adjust settings.

Then I found this.

Opened it up.

And what the hell, this one isn’t maintained, anymore.

What a huge pity.

What are the alternatives now? Obviously, Audacity is not in the list of choices.

I am looking for a minimal and very simple audio-only recorder. It ought to be simple & very quick to use.

1 Like

Void repository has only one audio recorder… its called gnome-sound-recorder
Have not used it, so cant give any report.
Void tend to be selective of what packages they include, so it must be reasonable.
May be a rebadged version of what you have already tried.

1 Like

Hi all, :wave:

Just wanted to suggest the same. :wink:

GNOME SoundRecorder is an intuitive audio recording program that can use different sources.
Depending on the codecs installed, the program can save files in the following formats: OGA (OGG Audio), Opus, MP3, FLAC, and MOV.
Files recorded with the program can be cut with a suitable program.

(translated from German from: GNOME SoundRecorder › Wiki › ubuntuusers.de )
also here: Apps/SoundRecorder - GNOME Wiki!

For more “demanding recordings” … perhaps this one: (audio recorder):

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t like software being bound to certain frameworks, such as GNOME, because then you basically need GNOME components in a different DE, for example. Additionally, by artificially imposing such a restriction you automatically make sure, that it does only run on certain Linux system. Not to mention running on Windows, will pretty much be impossible without unnecessary and painful effort.

If I would need a recorder for Linux GUI, it would need to be neutral (framework independent) or dependent on KDE, because it’s overall on average the best DE out there.

However, in this case I need one for Windows.

2 Likes

Can you explain to,us how one gets to use FOSS software in Windows? Are you going to compile it? How do you get a compiler for windows? If it is a FOSS compiler , how are you going to compile the compiler?
I cant see it working.

1 Like

I don’t want to compile Windows, but I want to compile software running on it. In that case, it compiles precisely the same way, as in any other operating system. Just the semantics change.

You can also write Windows specific programs, which use the Windows API. There’s a lot of possibilities, when doing it like that.

1 Like

You must have the server version of Windows. Windows home edition does not have any compilers. One would have to pay for extra software to do that in Windows

I don’t know anything about that. I just know that everyone who does anything on the computer uses at least the Professional edition. Home Edition is really only for people who barely know how to turn on a computer.

Neither do Professional or Enterprise editions… Yes - you have buy Visual Studio (not the free text editor “Code”) or there are others, there are non microsoft compilers for Windows systems…

2 Likes

Not sure, if we are talking about the same thing. I have never seen anyone having an issue with compiling anything on Windows because of “missing compilers”. Whether the provided ones are officially sanctioned by Microsoft, shouldn’t matter, I suppose.

@Nevj was unsure if Windows came with a compiler… It doesn’t… I remember MS-DOS had an object linker thingie, but that’s it - if you wanted C or Pascal or Assembler, you had to buy one (but they were easy enough to chuck on a floppy off your mate). I did actually buy a compiler once, Borland Pascal for Windows (windows 3.0 / 3.1) - but the rest of the stuff I was doing at Uni, in Assembler (x86) and C/C++, I just copied the binaries off other computers and took them home…

1 Like

@Akito – You might want to try “Recorder” – it is an extremely simple recorder that ONLY records PC audio. I found it in the software catalog for Zorin OS; it’s a flatpak – the installed size is only 185kB. I tried it while I was playing music with Strawberry, and it did work. The recording is mp3 and it sounds OK. There are zero controls or options, you just get to decide whether to start or stop. The mp3 file is automatically stored in /home/user/.var/app/… and the app has a viewer for the storage folder. It will also play back what is recorded.

1 Like

Audio Recorder works well PPA below from Launchpad

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:audio-recorder/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install audio-recorder

They also have it as a damn snap too

Maybe ffmpeg
Does more than just record sound

Windows 10 have one already built in? Best Free Audio Recording Software for Windows 11 [2023]
or there is this ocenaudio

Can’t get it to work in Linux. Plays audio fine, but recording is just blank. Should work in Windows though.

Where is the source code? Does not seem open source. For example, their homepage is openly proprietary. Open source projects often use one of the Creative Commons Licences for their homepages.

I have no idea

It must be bordering, been out since Linux Mint 17 and Debian 9, Windows 7 was on the list as well.

Cater more for the Windows clan I guess, as I could not get it to record at all. I have a USB sound card with headphone and USB slots, no settings to choose what you want to record through.

I’ll see what I can find out.

Have you tried Audacious ?
It’s an offshoot of XMMS.

You didn’t specify whether you need it for Windows or Linux.

As well, there is LMMS for Windows, Linux or MacOS.

https://audacious-media-player.org/

Where does it say it can record PC or any sound?

This is pointing to an error with WASAPI, which is only available on Windows.

I also added the “windows” tag to the thread.

Addditionally: