Sending spreadsheet by email to different devices

this is about email attachments, not “introducing yourself”
hope i am not out of order by starting here

Welcome to the new arrivals

I need to use excel to send emails that others can open
[/quote]

This confuses me - are you sending Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets to your “network” via email - or sending emails from directly inside Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet application?

I’ve never done either - I use MS Office 365 “Outlook Web Access” (and Outlook on MacOS) to send / receive work emails. All of the latest versions of MS Office (including MS Excel) work exceedingly well as web applications inside a modern browser like Chrome, Brave or Edge (I do use the Linux “port” of Micorosoft Edge, on Linux).

I don’t use Wine anywhere. Most of what I need can be accomplished running Microsoft Office applicaiton suite via the web interface (I use MS Edge - for no reason other than it seems to work well with using its SYNC feature with my work login). I’m assuming you have a license for MS Office - so - you could try logging in with your license details :

Collaborate for free with online versions of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote. Save documents, workbooks, and presentations online, in OneDrive. Share them with others and work together at the same time.

or
https://login.microsoft.com/

I’m just about to embark on extracting some fancy schmancy spreadsheet someone’s wasted hours on doing pretty formatting (why bother?) so I get the guts of the information - a table of ~100 Linux servers the customer wants patched, that have NEVER been patched…

I need to use excel to send emails that others can open ( they don’t seem to be able to open libreoffice emails), so have been grappling with wine, crossover and the like .
[/quote]

Every operating system has benefits and drawbacks.

Would love to have really cold winters not going to happen in near Brisbane Qld Aust.

Using KDE Plasma for many years I find it’s too annoying (stifling) when I try using other desktops,

ItsFOSS is that it is an excellent source of information and the users seem anxious to assist with issues.
[/quote]

Wanting to share is what a community is all about.

Welcome to It’sFOSS @Bill_Morin

artytux

roughly 1 hour from Sudbury. lol, its been very mild… only around 0C for the last week. waiting for the anvil to fall

i am sending spreadsheet results of a duplicate bridge game to 25 ish seniors. it seems they can’t open the attached file i send with the email when the file is from libreoffice ( not sure why- but they r not exactly computerly gifted) . When i use excel from office 2003 they seem to be able to open it just fine- so I have tried playonlinux , wine, with moderate success. have recently tried crossover and it seems to be working, so will stick with that platform

can’t open the attached file i send with the email when the file is from libreoffice
[/quote]

Are you writing the file from LibreOffice in excel format?
Try again and check it yourself before you email.
Another option is Gnumeric… it can read and write files in Excel format.

Regards
Neville

1 Reply

@Bill_Morin - can I suggest you start a new topic under “General Linux Question” or whatever and we can discuss your issue - as per @nevj - I suspect maybe you’re not sending them an excel “XLSX” file, but a LibreOffice open document format “ODF” file. You probably need to explicitly save as either an XLS, or XLSX (e.g. “Excel 2007-365 (.xlsx)” or “Excel 97-2003 (.xls)”).

Another option - if you’ve got a full license for MS Office 365, is you can run Excel “inside” a web browser when logged into your Office 365 account online (works for me Chrome, Brave and Edge - should work in Firefox too [just haven’t tried]).

daniel
i have saved the libreoffice file in xlsx format and attached it thusly with no success ( ie some seem to be getting a blank file - don’t know why). I do have a license for office 2003 and it works, as long as I go thru Crossover. I found playonlinux a bit spotty for working. Of course I don’t know if these seniors are using ipads, samsung or regular laptops, so I am not aware of any patterns. I have tried using the internet version of office but it seems more trouble than just living with excel 2003. The only drawback to it is I have to pay a yearly fee to “codeweavers”.

nevj
i have not heard of this program , and will give it a try. thanks
bill

Hello, do people need to edit the spreadsheet once they get it. If not, then LO has “export as pdf” which most devices can open,
Just a thought. Bill

0bill0
this seems like a good path to try out. will experiment with it
thanks
bill

0bill0
once they can open it all they will want to do is look at the results ( it is a bridge tournament showing all hands played with scores)
bill

I am from NSW, near Nowra.
Thanks for starting new topic. We need an administrator. There are apparenltly commands that will split a topic, but noone has permission.
Regards
Neville

nevjRegular

17m

Gnumeric is a fine spreadsheet.
You may have to install it. It is in the Debian repository, so Ubuntu should have it.
It may not have all the features of LO or Excel.
people often send me data in spreadsheets. I use Gnumeric to access it.
Regards
Neville

nevjRegular

23m

It would seem from what @daniel.m.tripp said, .xlsx format is for Excel 2007. For Excel 2003 you need .xls format.
Try again with .xls format and your Office 2003.
That might explain why some of your customers could not read it… they may have the older Office version.

I have to send files to computer users of varied abilities–exporting as a pdf is the best solution. Neville’s advice about spreadsheets that need to be used is best–use xls, for Excel 97–to make sure everyone can use it.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I didnt want to speak out of place, but its a useful topic and folk need a title to search and find it. Bill

1 Like

No honest question is ever out of place, Bill. The problem here was originally saving and sharing spreadsheets in LO’s native format (ods) rather than saving them in xls or pdf to be more accessible.