Setting Up PrivateGPT to Use AI Chat With Your Documents

After issuing the following command the next line reads Package operations 175 installs, 1 update, 0 removal. However there are downloads and installs happening at the same time. I have on the same screen for the past 3 hours please advise. I have a screenshot but I do not see an option to attach.

Ed

I don’t see “the following command”. There are several installs listed in the article.

Another community member ran into an issue while working through that article and had to abort and recover a few things that no longer worked properly. I think it was @Sheila_Flanagan

(venv) yemoja@agwe:~/privateGPT$ poetry install --with ui,local
Installing dependencies from lock file

Package operations: 175 installs, 1 update, 0 removals

Installing aiohttp (3.9.1): Downloading… 70%

• Installing aiohttp (3.9.1): Downloading… 80%
  • Installing deprecated (1.2.14)
  • Installing aiohttp (3.9.1): Downloading… 90%
  • Installing aiohttp (3.9.1): Downloading… 100%
  • Installing nvidia-cublas-cu12 (12.1.3.1): Downloading… 41%
    Installing nvidia-cublas-cu12 (12.1.3.1): Installing…

Installing multiprocess (0.70.15): Pending…

• Installing networkx (3.2.1): Downloading… 90%
  • Installing networkx (3.2.1)
  • Installing nvidia-cuda-cupti-cu12 (12.1.105): Installing…
  • Installing nvidia-cuda-cupti-cu12 (12.1.105)
  • Installing nvidia-cuda-nvrtc-cu12 (12.1.105): Downloading… 47%
  • Installing nvidia-cuda-nvrtc-cu12 (12.1.105): Installing…
  • Installing nvidia-cuda-nvrtc-cu12 (12.1.105)
  • Installing nvidia-cuda-runtime-cu12 (12.1.105)
  • Installing nvidia-cudnn-cu12 (8.9.2.26): Downloading… 9%
  • Installing nvidia-cudnn-cu12 (8.9.2.26): Downloading… 19%
  • Installing nvidia-cufft-cu12 (11.0.2.54): Downloading… 99%
  • Installing nvidia-cudnn-cu12 (8.9.2.26): Downloading… 23%
  • Installing nvidia-cudnn-cu12 (8.9.2.26): Installing…

There is an upload button. The sixth one along at the top of
the editing window.

This is in the screenshot

venv) yemoja@agwe:~/privateGPT$ poetry install --with ui,local
Installing dependencies from lock file

Package operations: 175 installs, 1 update, 0 removals

Installing aiohttp (3.9.1): Downloading… 70%

Installing aiohttp (3.9.1): Downloading… 80%
Installing deprecated (1.2.14)
Installing aiohttp (3.9.1): Downloading… 90%
Installing aiohttp (3.9.1): Downloading… 100%
Installing nvidia-cublas-cu12 (12.1.3.1): Downloading… 41%
Installing nvidia-cublas-cu12 (12.1.3.1): Installing…

Installing multiprocess (0.70.15): Pending…

Installing networkx (3.2.1): Downloading… 90%
Installing networkx (3.2.1)
Installing nvidia-cuda-cupti-cu12 (12.1.105): Installing…
Installing nvidia-cuda-cupti-cu12 (12.1.105)
Installing nvidia-cuda-nvrtc-cu12 (12.1.105): Downloading… 47%
Installing nvidia-cuda-nvrtc-cu12 (12.1.105): Installing…
Installing nvidia-cuda-nvrtc-cu12 (12.1.105)
Installing nvidia-cuda-runtime-cu12 (12.1.105)
Installing nvidia-cudnn-cu12 (8.9.2.26): Downloading… 9%
Installing nvidia-cudnn-cu12 (8.9.2.26): Downloading… 19%
Installing nvidia-cufft-cu12 (11.0.2.54): Downloading… 99%
Installing nvidia-cudnn-cu12 (8.9.2.26): Downloading… 23%
Installing nvidia-cudnn-cu12 (8.9.2.26): Installing…
1 Like

You got it.

I dont see what the problem is . 179 packages will take
a while to install.

Since your last post the laptop froze and shutdown by itself. I am now not able to run terminal to check for completion or run updates plus upgrades.

I think that huge set of packages probably exceeded its capacity. It may have filled the disk.
Use a live linux on a DVD or flash drive. Mount the root filesystem of the installed Linux, have a look (eg use df) and see if any filesystem is full.
What you do next depends on what you see. It may be as simple as removing files in /tmp… you can safely remove stuff there.

I will give this a try, but my gut says the laptop needs a do-over. I am using Ubuntu Pro 22.04, and I think I need to set up PrivateGPT first before any other application. What are your thoughts?

Yes, a reinstall is the easy way out.

If having Privategpt is your main goal, then yes, but can you break up that huge install into stages? And think about your disk
space… maybe change your partitioning when you do the new install.

You should probably do your experimentation on a VM. I use Virtualbox for that purpose usually but Gnome Boxes sometimes too.

Pdecker,

I didn’t realize virtualbox was still available for use. I don’t think the laptop is unusable, but I was planning to reformat it anyway, and I have off-site storage, so I’m fine with that. I remember having this problem with United Linux in the past, and if I recall correctly I had to login as root without the GUI, remove the files causing the problem, restart, and cross my fingers.

Ubuntu Pro 22.04.X removed the option to manually size file systems, which I dislike, and instead installs a predesigned file system. I submitted an online ticket and am now waiting. Based on previous experiences, I always concluded that simply reformatting the machine I was having trouble with was the best option for saving time.

I do not like that.
Does it not have a ‘custom’ partitioning option?
Can you get around it by doing the partitioning with gparted
before doing the install?

Oh man - I remember that! Project by Oracle and SCO and some other party (Corel?) to have a central distro to be all things for all men? I actually used it and thought it was okay, but preferred SUSE SLES and Ubuntu…

I don’t remember anything like that installing Ubuntu 22.04 - is there something different about “Pro”? I’m 100% sure Ubuntu 22.04 has an option for a custom layout - but - I don’t usually bother - 'cause I’m happy with with /boot, /boot/efi and “/” I don’t want to micromanage storage (and I even prefer a swapfile to a swap partition) - I don’t dual boot - so I can have the whole HDD to myself - and all my data I keep in $HOME is sync’d via my selfhosted cloud solution…

Neville,

I received the following from AskUbuntu:

• earch this site for python update broke No application should need to change system default python (or compiler). There are other ways to install new versions of anything you want without breaking the system. – [ubfan1]

• 1Congratulations: You have made the second most-common mistake that leads people to AskUbuntu. You have changed the version of a critical system component (Python3), and thereby destroyed your system. Sorry. If you know how to change it back, do so. If you don’t know how to change it back, then reinstall Ubuntu and restore from your backup. sudo removes the guardrails and permits you to poke at the spinning gears inside…but spinning gears don’t like to be poked. – [user535733]

• You should never upgrade system-installed version of Python in Ubuntu. You can’t do it in normal way; no package installed from system repositories will require you to do that,also there isn’t a replacement package in system repositories you can upgrade to. Once an Ubuntu release is released, system-default Python version for that release is fixed and should never be changed. If your application requires a specific version of Python, you should install a separate version for that application only and don’t touch the default one. You have broken your system and the best you can do is reinstall. – [raj]

I have work to do. I will check with gparted but there is an option at boot up to default to root without a gui, I am going to attempt to remove the files, reboot and cross my fingers.

Pdecker,

I received the following from AskUbuntu:

• Search this site for python update broke No application should need to change system default python (or compiler). There are other ways to install new versions of anything you want without breaking the system. – [ubfan1]

• 1Congratulations: You have made the second most-common mistake that leads people to AskUbuntu. You have changed the version of a critical system component (Python3), and thereby destroyed your system. Sorry. If you know how to change it back, do so. If you don’t know how to change it back, then reinstall Ubuntu and restore from your backup. sudo removes the guardrails and permits you to poke at the spinning gears inside…but spinning gears don’t like to be poked. – [user535733]

• You should never upgrade system-installed version of Python in Ubuntu. You can’t do it in normal way; no package installed from system repositories will require you to do that,also there isn’t a replacement package in system repositories you can upgrade to. Once an Ubuntu release is released, system-default Python version for that release is fixed and should never be changed. If your application requires a specific version of Python, you should install a separate version for that application only and don’t touch the default one. You have broken your system and the best you can do is reinstall. – [raj]

I have work to do. I will check with gparted but there is an option at boot up to default to root without a gui, I am going to attempt to remove the files, reboot and cross my fingers.

1 Like

Dan Tripp,

I thought in the entire world I was the only one struggling with Oracle and Sco Unix. Oracle is a beast and very specific about its existence on an on Prem-Server. In my case it was an HP Netserver L and initially I did not configure Oracle for exponential growth and learned a lesson about sizing for growth. There was no automation, or cloud service available.

OK, you have the reason… the stuff you tried to install
upgraded python.
In future, if you install things other than via the package system, it is better to install them in /usr/local or in your home directory… that is completely separate from the
package controlled installs which are in / and /usr. Then you will not break the package system.
I wish you luck with trying to restore the system… I think a fresh install might be simpler.

Ignore my thoughts about running out of space, it is more serious than that.

Neville,

I agree, but the attraction of Open Source back then was having a choice. Also, Linux distros provided the opportunity to bridge the digital divide and provide computer literacy in underserved areas around the world, but many of the distros are struggling to earn cash and are limiting their possibilities for profit.

1 Like

You mean they limit the size of their repository?
So you end up wanting to install things that are not in their repo.
OK, I get it.

Another thing that is happening is apps having their own install system, independent of the distro’s package system.
For example python has pip. It is mostly languages… R and Rust and Julia do it too. … In some cases you can install either with the distros package system, or with their own, or with a mix of the two. I dont like it. It is OK to have 2 package systems, but keep them separate… interactions can be disasterous.