Switching to linux instead of windows 11

Hey all,

Who here is or has switching/switched to Linux from Windows as a result of not being able to install Windows 11 due to not having the necessary system requirements?

And now there’s talk of Windows 12 coming out, which might have even more requirements, so people might have run out and bought Windows 11 PCs for nothing.

This is why I love Linux. I don’t have to stress about all that. lol

3 Likes

@Doron_Beit-Halahmi
Keep W11 run Linux in a VM!!!

1 Like

Hi Doc,

I actually switched from Win 10 to Linux about 4 or 5 years ago. I just got fed up with Windows.
Actually, there is a fix (by pass) to make Win 11 run on a non-supported PC.

Take care,
Howard

5 Likes

yeah, I know there’s a bunch of workarounds. The problem I saw with all of those is it doesn’t necessarily guarantee you’ll receive updates if you install w11 via one of those workarounds.

Ironically, you can install w11 on a machine without TPM in a VM just by emulating one. I thought that was absolutely hilarious.

Both Windows and Linux have hardware stresses

• The latest Win always seems to require the latest hardware. To run ageing hardware tou need to keep an older version of Windows, even to the extent of forgoing updates.
  • Linux tends to have problems with drivers for very new hardware. It can also have issues with old machines ( >20 years). But in between Linux will drive almost any hardware, as long as you are willing to find an appropriate distro.

I think Linux has other advantages apart from hardware support

• it is free. You are not forever paying for the next release
  • it has a larger addressable memory space. I can run a program that uses my whole 64Gb of ram. Win programs can only address 16Gb. That is important for numerical computing.
  • it is a better environment for programmers
  • there is more choice for users. Win is one thing, in Linux you can choose between many desktops, and for important apps there are usually several competing packages. There are also many distros competing for your choice.
  • to me Linux updates and upgrades are better supported and easier to use that those of.
    Windows.
  • some Linux distros are rolling release. That is effectively support forever. Windows is only fixed release.
  • the quality of software depends on the skill and dedication of the people supporting it. I think most Linux distros have a better team behind them. Windows has a large team, but size is not quality.

I am sure others could add to the list

5 Likes

I wasn’t aware of that except on 32 bit installations where it would only see 4G of RAM no matter how much you had installed. Is this true with 64 bit installations of say Windows 10?

I am not a Win expert, but I think it is true for Win Home edition, even in 64 bit architectures. I think you can remove the limitation by buying Win server edition, but that is expensive. Not sure where Win Pro sits.
Linux can address anything up to the limit of 2^64 words

That issue is why most serious scientific computing uses Linux or BSD.

2 Likes

and before that they were using UNIX - unless you go back to the old “everything hardcoded” early Cray days from before microprocessors even… I guess Data General were brewing their own proprietary O/S for their platforms (before they caved and went UNIX with DG-UX [much maligned, but it wasn’t a terrible UNIX implementation - it was certainly better than XENIX / SCO), and maybe Control Data? BTW - “Soul of a New Machine” (about developing a new computer platform at Data General) is one of the few IT books that’s a good read (I used to read some O’Reilly books, but they’re not exactly “riveting” - however DNS and Bind back in the 1990’s wasn’t “terrible” if memory serves me correctly)…

I still remember when Microsoft tried to market a re-branding of one of their server offerings for super computing :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: - like as if anyone would seriously contemplate that!

Windows NT workstations killed off the UNIX workstation market, only to be supplanted as a Server OS by Linux (and yeah - there are some “farms” of Graphical Workstations running Linux - but by and large, most 3D stuff [manual human heavy lifting] is still done on Windows machines or Apple).

probably happening now - probably be the case for at least 80% of stuff - in 5 years - Operating Systems won’t matter too much - it will all be AI - but - I can guarantee one thing - those AI bots will be parasitizing off Linux Torvald’s kernel…

Spent years using Control Data mainframes. OS was called SCOPE ( Sequential Control of Peripheral Processors) . The main CPU in CD machines was surrounded by a gathering of I/O processors that handled talking to things like card readers, tape units, disks. SCOPE polled around the various PPU’s looking to feed them output from the CPU. User software was Fortran and virtually nothing else.
Then , getting into the 1980’s CD discovered they could link 2 mainframes together, so they changed the OS name to NOS (Network Operating System), but the name was about all that changed.
These mainframes had an interactive system, but it consisted of a way of feeding edited files of card images into the batch system. Not a truly interactive OS like Linux.
The one thing those CD mainframes had going for them was CPU speed. They outdid everything else in their time for number crunching. That is why CSIRO had them.
In some ways they were quite modern - 60 bit word, vector processing, … but in other ways old tech - transistors, freon cooled, took up a whole building.
Any desktop today would outdo them , probably by an order of magnitude. And, thanks to FOSS we do have a little more user software than a Fortran compiler.

Would you get in a car driven by AI?

1 Like

Not today… but they’re here… Theyre driving buses and shit like that…

I remember having a huge arguement in the late 1990’s with a dear friend… He was arguing that computers landed planes… I was arguing they may control most of the flight systems, they didn’t land them - nor during take off…

I think AI is ready to take off an aeroplane, I’d still be unhappy (or calmly disquieted) to learn a computer landed me safely at my destination…

The things that people expect computers to nowdays be capable, astounds me… and saddens me - as an avid science fiction reader for 40+ years…

2 Likes

Do not know where you get your info, but I am running Tiny W11 Pro, and it receives all updates. Tiny W11 is not a W11 work-around but it is an ISO that has excluded a lot of apps that MS deems as necessary. Am installing Gentoo and KDE Plasma in a VM as we speak.

I wonder if AI could or would help me install Gentoo?

2 Likes

It is so much weird to read intense promotion of Windows on a Linux forum…
:face_with_diagonal_mouth:

3 Likes

Why dont you put it to the test… do a completely AI driven Gentoo install.
I bet it fails.
And just to complete the job, get it to do a Windows install.

2 Likes

Its Linux’s fault for being so superior.

3 Likes

I did the Windows → Linux transition, not because unable to install…
Back in early 2019 I still happily used Windows 7, and then a HW upgrade forced me to get Windows 10. That time I already liked Linux a lot, but for my work I needed Windows… So it was a change from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (still in the free upgrade time window). I used then MAGIX Vegas 15 and 16 on Windows 10, and an R9 380 videocard. It worked quite good until Windows started to push updates for the graphics card, which was a nightmare every time, as the updated driver didn’t play well with my software.
I had other problems with Win10 as well, but this issue was the most serious.
I tried Davinci Resolve free edition, and it worked excellent for my use under both Windows and Linux. So I drew a deep breath and tried to finish a job exlculively on Linux. And it succeeded, so ditched Windows, forgot the spinning “don’t stop the computer, doing upgrades” for couple minutes, and all the inconveniences Windows caused me. I just kept Windows 10 installed in a VM, just in case.
Since april 2019 I did not boot Windows on my machines, except a few times the VM, when I had to tinker something with an old project, still on Windows.

So my advice would be, that if you do not use anything windows-only, you can change to Linux right now. There will no pain.
If you still have to use windows-only programs, first try to change them to cross-platform implementations - that involves learning of course. For example, change MS Word to Softmaker Office (Text Maker) - still on Windows. Once you are familiar withe alternative, you can go to Linux, and try to use the same there…
Doing so, there willbe no pain. I expect some pain, if you make the change, and have to do something in an unfamiliar alternative, if in a hurry…

Keeping Linux in a VM on a Windows host is OK for practice purposes, say you want to learn how to use the cd, mkdir, and ls commands in a terminal.
Anything more demanding, such as to process RAW images from your digital camera will have severe performance impact on a VM, so think about what you want to use Linux for…

These were my 2 cents for today…

2 Likes

I may be the exception. I did not switch to Linux from Windows. I switched from FreeBSD.
That was in about 2005. The reason was a lack of printer drivers in BSD. I switched to Debian. Used Debian exclusively for about10 years, then recently branched out into other linux distros in a multiboot .
I still have a soft spot for BSD, but I will not go back until BSD has ext filesystem. My compromise is to use Void Linux, which has a lot of BSD features.

2 Likes

The tragic derailment in India was caused by an error in an electronic signalling system.
Not quite AI , but uncomfortably close.

1 Like

In news from 2022.11. I read about a Tesla going insane, the driver was unable to stop, and killed 2 people.
https://twitter.com/ravihanda/status/1591786004956188672?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1591786004956188672|twgr^f87704589184a4cb4edff199e2f9c565f4153fa5|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F24.hu%2Ftech%2F2022%2F11%2F14%2Ftesla-elon-musk-meghibasodas-kina-baleset-ket-halaleset%2F

So thanks, in my vehicle I want
-no telemetry
-no remote control (nor remote-anything)
-just the KISS in every aspect. (Keep It Small and Simple).

2 Likes