Switching to linux instead of windows 11

I think I could handle remote control tractors.
Sitting on a tractor all day is one of the most boring jobs.
There is a place for robots.

1 Like

@kovacslt
Sounds like the vehicles I drive, newest one is a 2017 model, and the two pick-ups I drive are 20+ years old.

1 Like

No thanks, I’ll just wait for W12!!!

1 Like

So happy this transition has worked for you!!! Maybe one day I will set-up a dedicated PC just for Linux, but for mow, Linux in a VM and Windows as the host, works fine for myself.

Hi Doc,

So far, so good. Running Win 11 on wife’s unsupported PC and getting updates.

1 Like

Ok, but then you would control yout tractors remotely. I mean a different situation:
I drive my vehicle, while the service issues a command over network, that the vehicle should slow. Or has different levels of battery usage possibilities.

I understand they did this with a good intention. However, it’s alarming (to me), if they can do this, what else could they do?
I see here dangers…

It worked for me, because:
-I had the intention to do it
-I could find the crossplatform alternatives I need.

Any of those would have been missing, I’d be still on Windows :wink:

I had an email hacking experience twenty years ago and switched to Linux about the same time I retired. Now I don’t miss work or Windows, although I do keep a Windows computer for gaming. It just doesn’t have anything but games, so it’s a cheap console.

Tiny W11 is rather interesting, in a VM.

And without Linux, I’d never have met you folks, probably the best surprise benefit of all!

3 Likes

Works even better on real hardware!!!

Like I said, I will someday set-up a dedicated PC for Linux.

1 Like

The same applies to Linux :smiley:

2 Likes

Maybe I’ll create a new partition on one of my drives and try it. Is 200G enough? It will be interesting to see if Grub recognizes it.

I have my doubts, not my first rodeo with either Windows or Linux.

This type of article was what scared me out of even trying to do the workaround back when I switched over to Linux full time :

Now I may have gone for trying to install Windows 11, but I’m liking Linux too much at this point to switch again! lol

I’m actually tempted to try that lol

I have Tiny W11 running on a unsupported laptop and on one desktop machine that dual boots with W10, so far everything is working. One word of caution, it does not install onedrive, ms office, cortana or a ms accont login. It only installs a basic login account, which is what I prefer. Linux is fine, but it isn’t Windows.

Perhaps you are in the wrong forum as most of us here prefer Linux and different flavours it offers … After all we are individuals and all like different things hence Linux. My wife uses windows and complains like mad over forced updates, download speeds, printers not working, lack of storage space. Every time I just switch on my Linux box do the job in hand and have shut down put the kettle on … And she is still waiting.

3 Likes

Perhaps you are right.

My ute (pickup) is 15 years. My Landrover is 123-68=55 years.

1 Like

Both Win and Linux are fine technically. Its the people behind the OS that make the difference. Same applies to various distros within linux. And dont forget BSD … there you can find large organisations (FreeBSD is like Debian) and smaller units (GhostBSD is like a Debian derivative).
And I will say it again, Win is one thing in a field of over 200 distros.

2 Likes