Switching to linux instead of windows 11

Imagine that in wartime.
It becomes a cyber-fight over control of things.

1 Like

How would one do this?

Well if you really want to test AI out, ask it to analyse what W11 does, and produce a linux distro that behaves exactly the same, and make it public domain.

Throughout history various groups have used fear as a tool to control people.
I’ll stick with Linux and if I chose concrete security, I’ll disconnect from the internet.
No wire, no way. My pc has no wifi or bt.

1 Like

User out of control = controllable user.

We already leave in wartime.

1 Like

I tried to ask that chatrobot - “how to install Gentoo”. It said:
Installing Gentoo Linux involves several steps and requires a good understanding of Linux systems and command-line operations. Here’s a general outline of the installation process:

1. System Requirements: Ensure your hardware meets the minimum requirements specified by Gentoo Linux. Check the official Gentoo documentation for the latest requirements.
  2. Prepare Installation Media: Download the Gentoo Linux installation ISO from the official Gentoo website. Create a bootable USB drive or burn the ISO to a CD/DVD.
  3. Boot into Installation Media: Insert the installation media into your computer and boot from it. Configure your BIOS settings if necessary to prioritize the boot order.
  4. Partitioning: Use a partitioning tool like fdisk or parted to partition your hard drive. Create separate partitions for the root file system, boot partition (if desired), and swap space (if necessary).
  5. Filesystem: Create filesystems on the partitions you created in the previous step. For example, use mkfs.ext4 to create an ext4 filesystem on the root partition.
  6. Mount Partitions: Mount the root partition to a temporary location, such as /mnt/gentoo. You may also need to mount other partitions like the boot partition if you created one.
  7. Stage Tarball: Download the latest Gentoo stage tarball from the official Gentoo mirrors. Extract the contents of the tarball to the mounted root partition.
  8. Configure Portage: Portage is Gentoo’s package management system. Before the first boot, you need to configure Portage by setting up the appropriate make.conf file. This file determines various system-specific settings and compilation options.
  9. Chroot: Change into the Gentoo installation environment using the chroot command. This step allows you to operate within the Gentoo installation as if it were your main system.
  10. Configure System: Inside the chroot environment, you’ll need to configure various system settings, including network configuration, locale settings, timezone, and hostname. Follow the Gentoo handbook or documentation for detailed instructions.
  11. Kernel: Configure and compile the Linux kernel that will run on your Gentoo system. You can use the make menuconfig command to customize the kernel options.
  12. Install System Tools: Install essential system tools such as a bootloader (e.g., GRUB or LILO), a text editor (e.g., Nano or Vim), and other utilities required for the system to function properly.
  13. User Accounts: Set up user accounts and passwords for your Gentoo system using the useradd and passwd commands.
  14. Finalize Configuration: Perform any additional system configurations, such as configuring the bootloader and enabling necessary system services.
  15. Exit Chroot: Once you’ve completed all the necessary configurations, exit the chroot environment using the exit command.
  16. Reboot: Remove the installation media and reboot your system. You should now be able to boot into your newly installed Gentoo Linux system.

Please note that this is a high-level overview of the installation process. It’s highly recommended to refer to the official Gentoo documentation, particularly the Gentoo Handbook, for more detailed and up-to-date instructions. The handbook provides step-by-step guidance and covers various scenarios and configurations.

3 Likes

@kovacslt
All you have to do now is try a Gentoo install!!! I would suggest using a virtualbox VM!!!

Even the handbook is not detailed enough. You need help from someone who has done it.

1 Like

I never installed Gentoo, and still did not try. (I may try it, just for fun)
I just quoted the chatgpt :wink:

2 Likes

Its a fairly accurate summary.
If you try, use a spare machine or a VM, and be prepared for a week out.
There is help, @4dandl4 guided me.

1 Like

Similar but different situation. I acquired an older Intel iMAC mid 2011 system - hardware, no OS media & couldn’t support current MAC OS. Wiped and installed Linux Mint & am very happy with the outcome.

1 Like

RoboCup was using Gentoo. I guess they still do. Good luck!

1 Like

Not looking for a career, just a usable OS. MX seems fine.

2 Likes

Perhaps this is why so many offer bad comments about Linux and it only being for tech savvy instead of easy to use. I want something out of the box that works first time every time

2 Likes

And on the eighth day MS made Windows!!!

I think Linux offers both ‘tech savvy’ distros and ‘out of box’ distros.
You just need to be careful choosing a distro that suits your needs.

3 Likes

@nevj
The ones whom may know me on this forum, know I use both Linux and Windows, and I really have no beef with either one, it is all about choice and how one wishes to there PC.

2 Likes

Agree. We are not trying to talk you out of Windows.
I will use anything that works for me… plus a few that dont.

Gentoo has been a great experience for me, and I will not be stopping using it any time soon. But I did not have to do it, other distros were filling my requirements.

2 Likes

This is why I prefer Ubuntu or derivatives, with no ideology-fascism about proprietary software and drivers - so I’m using Pop!_OS on one computer, and Ubuntu 23.04 on a laptop… It just works, plug and play… I use my Linux machines for gaming too…

But - I’m not afraid of the shell, in fact, it’s what brings me to Linux, and MacOS…

3 Likes

But 355 days later they are still trying to fix it and make it work…

2 Likes