Timeshift in Linux Mint 18.3

This is the first time I’ve heard of Timeshift. Is it in Mint repository?

1 Like

Install Timeshift Linux using Terminal of Ubuntu based Distributions:

" This is the simplest and easiest method to install this application on Linux. Kindly use the below commands to get Timeshift Linux."

$ sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install timeshift

Timeshift is Great! It saved me more then once and a lot faster then doing a full restore or re-install. Like a old American saying, “Best thing since sliced bread.” If you are on Linux Mint 18.3 or above, it should already be installed.
Read more here,
https://www.tecrobust.com/install-timeshift-linux-and-create-backup/

1 Like

i agree that timeshift is pretty great, with the understanding that it is meant to restore system files and personal files are left out by default. from the developer’s website (also a good read to see the particulars and options):

It is designed to protect only system files and settings. User files such as documents, pictures and music are excluded.

1 Like

TimeShift has been included in Mint since 18.3 and you are recommended to use it for keeping your system safe. As it is included you do not need anything further to install it. Since the start of the 19 series it is the in the Welcome Screen under first steps. It is the first item there called System Snapshots with a large red T.

It is a simple tool to use and should be the first thing you do. Once this is set up you really do not have to do bother with it again unless anything is wrong.

Although the is a different item to the thread here I have answered it this time. There is another thread about it on the community pages -

1 Like

I didn’t see it anywhere in the menu and the Software Manager said it wasn’t installed? Maybe because I upgrades from earlier Mint distro? I forget if I started with Mint 11, 12 or 14?

What didn’t you see? If you mean timeshift it is in the welcome screen which is what I have already stated previously under first steps. If you have upgraded then the welcome screen has changed every time. If you are using the 19 series it is there and has been from the start.

You can remove old kernels now through update manager it very simple to do without using the terminal at all - View - linux kernels - a box comes up with remove old kernels options. Mint is so easy to use that you really don’t need to use the terminal at all to do anything. It has moved on and is very much like CMD in Windows, it is there but leave alone unless you know what you are doing - other than that let Mint do it for you

my understanding is that it became an included program in mint 18.3. my guess is that if you upgraded, timeshift might not have been added.

2 Likes

It is included in every version since 18.3 - the upgrades include everything that the new version has. Indeed you can not upgrade from 18.3 to the 19 series without it being there and each version comes with a new kernel. Having said that using 19.2 I have with out problems have been able to upgrade to the 5 kernels as my laptop can take them.
The only reason an upgrade will not include something is when it has not been done correctly and before doing so it best to check out the Mint Home page to learn what is required and to follow the steps there. One final thing the 18.2 to 18.3 was quite complicated but since then it has been simplified and now is easy to do.

Nope, wasn’t there. I couldn’t get it to install from the script either, kept getting error message so went to Mint Software Manager. Did I need to add the PPA to software sources first? This is what I was getting (didn’t clear it from terminal in case it was needed)

$ sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
WARNING:root:could not open file ‘/etc/apt/sources.list’

$: command not found

It is included in Mint 18.3 - so I don’t know what you’ve done or why it is not showing. I can only think that your Installation is faulty - however that is only a guess - to install it through the terminal
sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install timeshift
I have checked through my notes to see if there is another reporting it and can’t find any

That’s exactly what I did but got error after first script. It may be something related to the 'can’t open terminal? I tried copy and paste as well as typing it in (never sure if I missed a space or something then though)

can you try apt list timeshift? mine looks like this in debian:

$ apt list timeshift
Listing… Done
timeshift/stretch 17.11-1mx17+1 amd64

2 Likes

I can only conclude that you need to start a repair to see check your system if this doesn’t work. I take it you know how to do this? If not ask how and will guide you through it

Pretty sure I need a different script as the one you used says
bash: timeshift stretch: no such file or directory
Timeshift launches from menu without any problems though?

that was probably a case of too much info on my part. the command is just:

$ apt list timeshift

1 Like

Yep, now I get timeshift/sylvia,now 17.11.2 AMD64 timeshift [installed]

@1crazypj, just wondering. Why don’t you just do a clean install of Mint 19.2?
One nice thing about Linux is that an install only takes 10 to 15 minutes. After the clean install, apply the patches, restore your data files, install any software you want and …
Bingo! you have an up to date system.
It sounds easy, it does take some planning and work, but might be well worth it.

4 Likes

does it launch from the menu for you?

1 Like

Kinda. It says scheduled snapshot in progress. I think I’ll check free space on drives, some time ago Apache server kept doing save logs and used up all the space. I didn’t even know I had Apache on computer or how it got there butafter removal things went back to normal

1 Like

the first snapshot usually takes a bit longer for me, but i would say it should be under 5 minutes for a standard mint install. unless you added personal files.

2 Likes